Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #1

AC belt replacement

Has anyone replaced their AC belt on 2003 Monaco diplomat Cummins 330 engine rear radiator? If so how did you get the belt over the fan, I have tried can't seem to get belt over the fan. Thanks in advance for all your help
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #2

There have been a couple of posts about this and the problem may be that the adjuster for the belt tension wasn't properly installed , resulting in too short a belt , when a belt that will go over the fan is used the compressor won't adjust to get the belt tight.
I'll try and track the post down, in the mean time could you post a picture of your belt adjuster.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #3

May need to take fan off of the pulley first.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:14 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidachry2003 View Post
Has anyone replaced their AC belt on 2003 Monaco diplomat Cummins 330 engine rear radiator? If so how did you get the belt over the fan, I have tried can't seem to get belt over the fan. Thanks in advance for all your help
Oops, I just saw you are referring to the AC compressor belt. Our coach only has one large belt that turns everything. If you have the two belt configuration then your only choice may be to remove the fan from the pulley.

If the belt is to short to reach the tip of the fan blades and contacts the center fan shaft then Skip may be correct in his assessment. We have changed the belt on our 2006 Diplomat with the ISL and were able to get the belt over the fan. The trick is to do one fan blade tip at a time until the belt is all the way over the fan. Make sure you have the belt off all of the pulleys and the only interference is the fan center shaft and pulley. It is a difficult job and there is almost no room to work. We did not attempt to remove and replace the belt from inside the coach and did the job completely from below. We did not even remove the engine covers. If you have large arms this may be a problem for you.

It also helps to purchase a long handle swivel head 1/2 drive ratchet like the one in this link. We were able to take the tension off the idler pulley and move that long handle under the air intake tube keeping the tension off the idler while we worked. Makes the job considerably easier. Hope you can do the same thing.

1/2 in. Drive Professional Flex Head Long Handle Ratchet

Good luck,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

Here's a diagram and picture of the correct compressor , adjuster mount , I can't find the post that listed the slightly longer belt number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC belt Cummins diagram.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	139974   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC belt picture with correct adjuster location.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	139975  

Old 09-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Oops, I just saw you are referring to the AC compressor belt. Our coach only has one large belt that turns everything. If you have the two belt configuration then your only choice may be to remove the fan from the pulley.

If the belt is to short to reach the tip of the fan blades and contacts the center fan shaft then Skip may be correct in his assessment. We have changed the belt on our 2006 Diplomat with the ISL and were able to get the belt over the fan. The trick is to do one fan blade tip at a time until the belt is all the way over the fan. Make sure you have the belt off all of the pulleys and the only interference is the fan center shaft and pulley. It is a difficult job and there is almost no room to work. We did not attempt to remove and replace the belt from inside the coach and did the job completely from below. We did not even remove the engine covers. If you have large arms this may be a problem for you.

It also helps to purchase a long handle swivel head 1/2 drive ratchet like the one in this link. We were able to take the tension off the idler pulley and move that long handle under the air intake tube keeping the tension off the idler while we worked. Makes the job considerably easier. Hope you can do the same thing.

1/2 in. Drive Professional Flex Head Long Handle Ratchet

Good luck,

Bob
Although his does not apply to my coach, I would agree with your assessment on how to do this after looking at his pic.

We would run across this clusterstook setup in automotive service now and then....fun fun.

I would also be very careful when tightening that belt without a belt gage and that type of adjustment setup.

With that set up it's very easy to over tighten and destroy any pulley bearings involved such as his A/C compressor bearings and the likes.

If his setup is like pictured in this thread and is a V-belt, a good rule of thumb to tightening the belt without a gage is with the belt placed between your fore finger and you thumb you should be able to rotate the belt 90% using your fore finger and thumb using firm pressure ...however a belt gage is the proper way.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
If the new belt is the correct one it WILL go over the fan blade tips. Tight, but it will go. you do not have to remove the serpentine belt.
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #8

AC belt replacement

Thanks all for your input will take picture when I recover from minor surgery
Old 09-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidachry2003 View Post
Thanks all for your input will take picture when I recover from minor surgery

Take your time , we'll be here when your fully recovered.

I will keep looking for the correct belt number.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #10

Are you sure that the belt goes over the fan? It may only run from the crank pulley directly to the a/c compressor. The picture that someone posted shows this.
Steve
05 Panther
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Here's a diagram and picture of the correct compressor , adjuster mount , I can't find the post that listed the slightly longer belt number.

I am sorry, not the picture but the diagram shows at the belt just goes to the compressor. The picture shows it going over the fan and onto the fan pulley. That belt should be more than long enough to go over the fan. This is why I have a side radiator!
Steve
05 Panther
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Are you sure that the belt goes over the fan? It may only run from the crank pulley directly to the a/c compressor. The picture that someone posted shows this.
Steve
05 Panther
Here's the same belt set up , on a side radiator coach, serpentine belt , drives the " fan mount idler " then a V belt runs up to the A/C compressor.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 12:27 AM   #13

Finally found the post, search engine didn't like my spelling.
would only accept A/C and not air conditioner.

In post 11 on this link, Hoolian gives the correct belt length as 42.5", after the adjuster is properly installed.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/a-c-...sb-213479.html

Tags
ace, replace, replacement