Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

Ac no power

2008 Knight with no power to the AC using the generator. Generator is working fine everything else works off it. AC will work off shore power. Any help would be appreciated.
donalddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #2

There is a circuit breaker near the back of the generator...I bet it is tripped..put on circuit breaker and all should be well...If that isn't it, then the transfer switch is bad or something on the gene...but I bet it's the circuit breaker right on it.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #3

It is not the breaker. Where is this transfer box.
donalddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
There should be a 120 vac circuit breaker panel inside your coach. Check the bedroom. May have the air conditioner breaker popped. If everything else is working on shore and generator power, and the air conditioner is not, and the breaker for it is not popped, you may need a new unit.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi donalddd,
Welcome to iRV2. If the information in the OP is true, it is a puzzling situation. I doubt the transfer switch is to blame since all other components work off the generator. Same goes for the generator breaker. Do you have a VOM meter and are you comfortable using it? If so, it is time to follow the electrons until you determine where they get lost. I do not know your brand coach. That being said, I would look at the T'Stat and see if is operating normally when the generator is running. If all is okay with the T'Stat then start at the circuit breaker panel and determine, is there power to the A/C breaker with the generator running. If that is true, then it is up to the roof and see if there is power to the A/C unit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Donalddd

You could be missing on leg of power from your generator, all would almost work. Do BOTH A/C's not work or only the front one? If so you could be missing one leg of the power from the xfr switch or the generator. Here is a diagram of how many of the Monaco products are wired.

Good Luck
Dennis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 38040005 (DIAGRAM, 120V AC).pdf (104.2 KB, 54 views)
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Dennis Z is right on the money..or I believe the gene has two breakers...I'd call Cummins/Onan about that...Transfer switch is in the front run bay on my coach...but I wouldn't open that up unless I was sure of what I was doing.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stuart,
99% of RV Automatic Transfer Switches are located in the same basement bay as the shore power cable storage. Yours is really in the front bay? Just wondering.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #10

Now I have to look..coach is in storage..and in snow...but I swore I saw it in front...I might be wrong but it isn't in the back by the cord (no room back there)..and if I am wrong..please pass the ketchup to eat with the crow.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If I remember correctly in the 2011 Dip we looked at they had done away with the cord reel in a compartment and put it inside the coach. There was a small door on the rear driver side about at the height of the coolant overflow tank. I remember opening the rear door to the left of the radiator and seeing the cord coming in. It was not clear where the transfer switch would be located. Perhaps they made a similar change on the 2009. Maybe someone with this type of power cord set up can let us know where the transfer switch is located.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote