RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Just had the guy from Direct TV out to install my DVR in the house,I told him that I take the receiver from the house and use it in the moho.
Now the problem,he said he needs to add a line from the dish to a switch and then to the DVR.
Have anyone here had to add a line?
I told him to hold off untill I get some more info.

rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just had the guy from Direct TV out to install my DVR in the house,I told him that I take the receiver from the house and use it in the moho.
Now the problem,he said he needs to add a line from the dish to a switch and then to the DVR.
Have anyone here had to add a line?
I told him to hold off untill I get some more info.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #3

He is 100% right.That 2nd coax runs off of another lnb.You need it to use the dvr correctly.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My original DISH DVR required two coax feeds, one to watch 1 channel, and one to record a different channel. Went I converted to DISH HD, the installer told me that he could use one cable with a splitter just before the DVR. Not sure if Direct TV will work the same way but it is something to check out.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He is 100% right.That 2nd coax runs off of another lnb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is only 1 LNB in a dome but it can be a single or dual LNB (referring to the number of output cables).
If you have a King Dome (Doom, I like it!) you may or may not have the ability to add a second line for your DVR. You can take a look and see if you see a second unused connection at the base of the dome. If that's not there then you can contact King Dome about an upgrade. There may or may not be one available. In any case, even if you only have one output available you would still be able to use the DVR in your RV but you would not be able to watch one channel and record another. Otherwise, it will work just as well as it does in a home installation.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Bill,
Are you saying the only thing it will not do is be able to watch one channel and record another?
I could live with that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He is 100% right.That 2nd coax runs off of another lnb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is only 1 LNB in a dome but it can be a single or dual LNB (referring to the number of output cables).
If you have a King Dome (Doom, I like it!) you may or may not have the ability to add a second line for your DVR. You can take a look and see if you see a second unused connection at the base of the dome. If that's not there then you can contact King Dome about an upgrade. There may or may not be one available. In any case, even if you only have one output available you would still be able to use the DVR in your RV but you would not be able to watch one channel and record another. Otherwise, it will work just as well as it does in a home installation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">dual LNB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks,I guess I worded it wrong.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bill,
Are you saying the only thing it will not do is be able to watch one channel and record another?
I could live with that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
YEP! That's how I have my DVR setup as I use an one input from an in-motion antenna and another from by Datastorm. The in-motion only has a single LNB so I can switch between my choice of antenna but I can only have one input. The DVR works GREAT! and the only thing I lose is the ability to watch one channel while I record another. You can still watch previously recorded programs while new programs are recording. It's a very slight drawback but I, too, can live with it!
Now, HDTV programming, that's a whole different conversation if you want to go there.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #9

what about a multi switch for the single lnb? it is a splitter of sorts but from what i understand will split a digital signal for the dvr/tivo?
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what about a multi switch for the single lnb? it is a splitter of sorts but from what i understand will split a digital signal for the dvr/tivo? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope! Sorry, but it won't work. A splitter will send half the channels to one input and half to the other. Not of much use. There are some stacker/destacker combos but you still need 2 outputs from the one (dual) LNB to get things going.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #11

If you want to go to HD there is an up grade by king dome which is amulti switch that switch the dish LNB from sat 101 to sat 110 when viewing HD and back to sat 101 for dig.The switch is 299.00. The king Dome does have a dual LNB.
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
He may have been talking about adding a switch to use two satellites. With the King Dome you switch between satellites with a button on the King Dome Control.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My King Dome switches between satellites automatically.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:37 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you want to go to HD there is an up grade by king dome which is amulti switch that switch the dish LNB from sat 101 to sat 110 when viewing HD and back to sat 101 for dig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No dome will work with DirecTV HD programming as these channels are being broadcast from their new KA band satellites at 99 and 103 and the domes all have a KU band LNB. The domes will work with Dish Network HD programming but you need to be able to move between 3 different satellites (110, 119 and 129) so the current switching routine available from King Dome will not do it. The Trac-King and Trac-Star can be manually pointed to the necessary satellites but I don't believe that there is any system currently available to do this automatically.