RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I had it programed during a campaign re-flash, so there was no cost at the time as they where already hooked up.

I did get a bunch of blank glassy stares until I talked to the service tech who looked it up and found it on the ECM programming software. The tech actually got excited about latch mode and planned to do the same to his personal coach.

I know of no documents to describe it. I found out about latch mode on BB's like this one, and I also had some experience with the 2007 W22 Workhorse (gas), that has a transmission grade brake that functions exactly the same.

The standard built in delay is 1 sec before the pac brake engages. I kept the same 1 sec delay and found it to be beneficial as I can hit the cancel button while holding speed with my foot on the gas peddle preventing the pac brake from engaging. It's so simple to use, I'm amazed it isn't a factory default setting.

Simply put, the coach freewheels until the brake peddle is "taped/pressed" or the cruise cancel button is pushed. Any action that disables cruise will activate the pac brake within 1 second.

The programing was done at the Cummin's Coach Care Center in Coburg, OR.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post

The programing was done at the Cummins Coach Care Center in Coburg, OR.
For anyone interested in having the "Latch Mode" flashed into their ECM, Coach Care in Coburg, OR will do it for $225. Takes a little less than 2 hours including test drive, etc.

Need to make an appointment first.

I will be up that way in May and plan to stop in on my way to Alaska to have the Latch Mode programmed into my ECM.

Dr4film ----- Richard.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I am the one that started this thread,I did have to have the ECM replaced because of splicing into a wire that Homer the inventor of the BRAKE SWITCH said to tap into,The wiring diagram,that comes with the BRAKE SWITCH is nothing like the wire in our Moho.
Monaco sent me the digram for our Moho and that is what we used.
So be very careful if you buy the BRAKE SWITCH.
When they replaced the ECM I had them set it to "latch mode " BUT it did not work.
I went back to the Cummins store today to have them recheck it.
After checking they found the ECM was getting a brake light signal when the exhaust brake was turned on.Monaco has wired some Moho this way,that is why the BRAKE SWITCH won't work.
I found a very good electrician,that with the wiring diagram I have,was able to CUT one wire and now WE latch mode.

PS= Homer is taking no responsibility for the almost $ 3,000 bill !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
For anyone interested in having the "Latch Mode" flashed into their ECM, Coach Care in Coburg, OR will do it for $225. Takes a little less than 2 hours including test drive, etc.

Need to make an appointment first.

I will be up that way in May and plan to stop in on my way to Alaska to have the Latch Mode programmed into my ECM.

Dr4film ----- Richard.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #32

Why would Homer be to blame? You just admitted that the ECM was getting some signal from the brake. Probably the wiring of the Brake Switch combined with Monaco's blunder made for your problem. You are SOL and Homer is not to blame. No wonder you are the only one that had the problem. It was Monaco's fault.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
If the inventor of the produce tells you to hook it up a certain way, and that causes a $ 3000.00 problem,I think you would be upset also.
There was NO problem until the last wire was tapped into.
The way Monaco wired the moho, did not cause a problem with the ECM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Why would Homer be to blame? You just admitted that the ECM was getting some signal from the brake. Probably the wiring of the Brake Switch combined with Monaco's blunder made for your problem. You are SOL and Homer is not to blame. No wonder you are the only one that had the problem. It was Monaco's fault.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
rvtips,
I would count my lucky stars that the maker of the Brake Switch is footing the bill. I think you should be out there shouting his praises. Monaco at least contributed to the problem by wiring the ECM different than how they said they wired it. Many folks got stiffed by Monaco when they went BK you got lucky that someone else picked up the tab. I know of at least one company Blue Ox that pushed all the blame for a base plate failure onto their authorized dealer for supposable forgetting a washer. I put out 800 to get things fixed and got nothing from the dealer or Blue Ox. So just giving Homer a little P.S. mention after screaming about the problems with the switch seem a little unfair. I think you should be out there thanking them for paying for a repair that may be only partly their fault.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
What are you talking about???
Homer the inventer of the Brake Switch,is NOT paying a penny of the almost $ 3000.00 BILL
What Monaco did with the way they wired it,Homer should have seen it,in the wiring diagram I sent him,after all he is the INVENTER,the expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
rvtips,
I would count my lucky stars that the maker of the Brake Switch is footing the bill. I think you should be out there shouting his praises. Monaco at least contributed to the problem by wiring the ECM different than how they said they wired it. Many folks got stiffed by Monaco when they went BK you got lucky that someone else picked up the tab. I know of at least one company Blue Ox that pushed all the blame for a base plate failure onto their authorized dealer for supposable forgetting a washer. I put out 800 to get things fixed and got nothing from the dealer or Blue Ox. So just giving Homer a little P.S. mention after screaming about the problems with the switch seem a little unfair. I think you should be out there thanking them for paying for a repair that may be only partly their fault.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry I misread your PS I thought you said Homer WAS taking responsibility, my error
Old 03-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #37

ITDave:

You were partially correct. It was not Homer's fault. He is a great guy and I have NEVER heard anyone say different. He goes to all kinds of rallies and offers technical advice on his product. You can call on a Sat. afternoon and he answers the phone. The OP has put this story all over the net and damaged the rep of a good man. Most readers in the other forums realized that the OP is unhappy but will not admit that Homer is not to blame. End of story!
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
If Homer is not to blame then who is?
He is the inventer and the expert,so when he tells you to us a wire you use that wire. End of store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
ITDave:

You were partially correct. It was not Homer's fault. He is a great guy and I have NEVER heard anyone say different. He goes to all kinds of rallies and offers technical advice on his product. You can call on a Sat. afternoon and he answers the phone. The OP has put this story all over the net and damaged the rep of a good man. Most readers in the other forums realized that the OP is unhappy but will not admit that Homer is not to blame. End of story!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
If Homer is not to blame then who is?
He is the inventer and the expert,so when he tells you to us a wire you use that wire. End of store.
In my opinion when I am doing work on something that is very expensive to fix, if something goes wrong, I try to make dam sure I validate any recommendation I get. Seem to me that when things did not work the first time I would have double checked everything before I connected to a wire. Homer may be the expert on his Brake Switch but since you were doing the work on YOUR coach you should have been the expert on the coach. If your not sure about doing something don't do it or hire an expert.

Bottom line you have to take part of the blame along with Monaco and Homer.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW, JMHO, If all Homer's device does is put a switch in a wire, putting it in the wrong wire would not cause a problem, anymore than a connection being intermittent would. If the wires were crossed during installation, putting 12 volts where it did not belong. would be another case entirely. Splicing a switch into the wrong wire should Not put 12 volts where it did not belong. On the other hand, I feel adding to this thread just perpetuates ill feelings toward Homer.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Old 03-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
It's funny you should say that.
I did go to an RV repair store and asked if they would install it,NO was there answer,I asked why,was told too many things can go wrong.
I did double check the wires Homer said to try,I don't know what went wrong,the repair shop has know answers either.
Bottom line when the inventor/expert has the wiring diagram and he says cut this wire,that is what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
In my opinion when I am doing work on something that is very expensive to fix, if something goes wrong, I try to make dam sure I validate any recommendation I get. Seem to me that when things did not work the first time I would have double checked everything before I connected to a wire. Homer may be the expert on his Brake Switch but since you were doing the work on YOUR coach you should have been the expert on the coach. If your not sure about doing something don't do it or hire an expert.

Bottom line you have to take part of the blame along with Monaco and Homer.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #42

Why hasn't Moma killed this thread? I thought that consumer complaints were not allowed. Poor Homer! We have only hard one side of the story and I bet there is more to be told!

2009 Silverado Toad
Closed Thread