RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #1

I guess I will have to hang out on the towing section of the forum some. We just brought home a 2003 Saturn LW300 (4 door, V6, auto, station wagon). The weight is supposed to be just under 3,000 pounds and can be towed four down, 65 MPH, no restriction on mileage.

Now I need to get the TOAD's attachment plate and figure out exactly what I need to get the auxiliary brake system functional, oh, and wiring...

What fun!! Film at eleven.

Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #2

I guess I will have to hang out on the towing section of the forum some. We just brought home a 2003 Saturn LW300 (4 door, V6, auto, station wagon). The weight is supposed to be just under 3,000 pounds and can be towed four down, 65 MPH, no restriction on mileage.

Now I need to get the TOAD's attachment plate and figure out exactly what I need to get the auxiliary brake system functional, oh, and wiring...

What fun!! Film at eleven.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats Les. You will like the Saturn. What aux brake system are you planning on? I use a SMI and have it cabeled to the cockpit so I can control brakeing force and also see when it is deploying the brake.

There is a conduit on each side of the chassis on my Diplomat and I would think also on your Dynasty. The conduits are on the inside of the frame rails and are two inch in size. Was a snap to run wiring through one of them with the aid of an electrician's tape. Only the one on the driver side had space.

Rex 01 Dip

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure the coach is set up with the Unified Tow Brake system from the previous owner. I have drawings of the connector wiring and all the parts that were used for a Jeep. I think I will need to see what may be different for the Saturn and supplement any missing parts. The controller is in a convenient location near the transmission pad.

I've got a lot of research to do since I want to utilize what I already have.

Thanks for the info, Rex. Happy trails...
Old 11-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Woo-hoo!! Another project to get done... Congrats and good luck figuring out what you need to get done now, Les!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We're also getting a lot of items completed on our To-Do List. Got the toad and a lot of other planned items this last week that are really depleting the ol' bank account. Next week is the hitch and braking system -- also looking at the Unified Brake System and Blue Ox Tow Bar/Hitch. Not sure if we should get a shield to protect the toad from dirt, mud, and rocks.

We've also been spending time on the Towing Forum section. Have to come back over here to the Monaco Forum for some fun.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #7

Hey congrats. That's the same toad we have. We picked up the plate from Roadmaster when we boguht the towbar. Had the local CW do the install. Haven't picked up a brake system just yet, but really haven't looked too much.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #8

The little toad seems to be a decent car. I've been driving it around some and it is in very good shape, with only 41,000 miles. I believe the weight will be negligible behind the coach. The added room in a station wagon will come in handy when we need to stay in a campground and "commute" to a dog show site with all the dog paraphernalia.

Getting the toad ready to hook to the coach is the current challenge...
Old 11-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Check out the M&G brake system, it's a clean install and works off of the Dynasty's air brakes. We had one installed on our 2007 Dynasty and it works great, hook up is a snap and takes less than 30 seconds. There's nothing inside the toad's cockpit to get in the way or to hook up.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #10

Hey Les,

What breed of dogs do you show??? I also show..Newfs and A Portie. No toad yet since we have been able to stay at the show sites.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #11

Hungarian Puli - 30 pound, black herding dog, cords (dreadlocks) to the ground, can't tell which end to kiss unless he has his tongue sticking out!!!!

We need 3 more points for his Championship. He is just 15 months old, so his cords are not full length yet.

I really like dog shows with adjacent RV parking. It sure makes life a BUNCH easier!! At the Atlanta show we had full hook-up including 50 amp service. Now that was nice...

Good luck with your pups! I hope they like to travel as much as our dog does.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #12

Hey Les,
Sounds like you have your hands full. Are you using your motorhome year round???

My News are champs and waiting for one to grow up a bit to special. Portie has done very well as a pup and needs a major to finish.

Dogs love the rv. My one Newf will go stand at the steps all day until someone lets him in. Winter will be tough on him with no rv.

Most shows we attend up this way will have elect hook ups and some with water. We were at Springfield, IL last month with water,elect, and sewer.............heaven.

I am sure DW and I will go thru dt's the next few months without the motorhome.

Good luck!!!

Ed
Old 11-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ha Les,
Back to the brake system. I have the SMI system and LOVE it. Easy to hook up, just flip a switch. I leave the unit hooked up in the rear of my Jeep at all times. No need to remove it. It is small and out of the way. Also use the Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. Also great and easy to use. Try www.SMI.com

Chirohand
40' PDQ
Jeep Cherokee
Old 11-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #14

I just ordered the Roadmaster base plate to go with the tow bar (Sterling All-Terrain by Roadmaster) that came with the coach. Only needing the car specific base plate sure saved us some money!!

I think I also have all the parts for the Unified Tow Brake system, but won't know for sure until I go through it all. I may need some small parts.

I'm learning the ins and outs of winterizing. We've had one just barely a freeze and I'm all winterized, but want to be able to put the coach back in commission in December. I would like to be able to shift back and forth easily and that will come with more familiarity.

Our current project is wiring up a new external cell antenna (Wilson ground plane), amplifier, and internal repeater. Once we get that working, we should have great cell phone reception in addition to a strong signal for the air card - wireless LAN. Hopefully, we will be able to use several different cell phones and have internet connection while traveling down the road.

If it works, we will have a great mobile office and can travel on work time and play on our time!! This RV stuff is cool...

Dogs Rule! You don't see them pooper scooping after us.

Great Tee-shirt: "I drive the bus and scoop the poop"