Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Added shelf for Satellite Receiver

Overhead space is/was getting a little tight. Added a shelf to relocate the Satellite Receiver. High enough to not block out top of windshield while driving. Pics below - In: Makeing it ours.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logthumper View Post
Pics below - In: Making it ours.
OK, I got it ... Looks like you have an off site photo album called "Making It Ours!" Good Job!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Very nice!

I made a much simpler version as a temporary measure until I have the time to build a nicer one:

Your version has given me some good ideas for when I finally redo mine (which will hopefully be soon, I've been using my "temporary" version for two years now )

Got any construction/finishing tips on how you did yours?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Shapeshifter,
Any problems with the hard drive in your DVR bouncing as you drive down the road? I'd like to do the same thing but have been afraid of killing the DVR. Currently the DVR rides on the bed while traveling. I wonder if I'm being too cautious.
DtBt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
Shapeshifter,
Any problems with the hard drive in your DVR bouncing as you drive down the road? I'd like to do the same thing but have been afraid of killing the DVR. Currently the DVR rides on the bed while traveling. I wonder if I'm being too cautious.
Not yet, after 2 years and about 16,000 miles... (crossing fingers)

I do have it wired up with an interlock much like the front TV, where the receiver cannot be powered up while the ignition is on. Shaking the idle hard drive while going down the road is one thing, but it would be deadly if the hard drive were spinning!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Logthumper,
I like your woodwork. Is that a dado joint on the left? Did you use solid oak shelving? Where do you obtain the wood?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Logthumper,
Nice job and looks great. Good idea allowing for lots of ventilation around the receiver. These Sat receivers put out a lot of heat.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
DtBt: No, that’s not a dado joint. I just made it to look that way. Cut trim pieces to cover the front and exposed cuts of the shelf. The wood is just stuff I had laying around. I don’t toss anything out, will use the stuff sooner or later. I found that a light staining with Minwax, Colonial Maple 223 finished with a light spray coat of Clear Satin will give a near perfect match with the rest of the woodwork. Can’t see it in the pics but also added a 110v outlet on the right rear side. Also added a small 12v muffin fan in the upper left part of the cabinet to cool the electronics up there.
Some of the wood came from the base for the washer/dryer. I always look for more storage space. We have no need for a washer/dryer and it appeared as thou there was a big unused space under the washer/dryer floor. Wow was I presently surprised when I removed the floor to see what was under there. There is enough unused space under there to hid a body. Replaced with 2 removable floor panels. Very handy to store seldom used bleacher seats, heaters, fans , games, rain gear, etc