Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Added Water Pump Switch

After reading Lukeaa's post about the water pump switch it got me thinking. Our coach was suppose to have a switch in the kitchen per the brochure, but didn't. It would be nice to have. I looked for extra wires, but found none. I asked on Lukeaa's post if anyone knew how to tap into the switches and Bob (nodine) posted a link to the Intellitec pump controller and showed me how easy it was to do.

I called Northwest RV Supply and they sent me the 4 hole bezel and switches that go in the water bay. See below.

I cut the switch down and reworked it into a two hole plate. See below.

The wiring was easy. It takes four wires to make the switch and light work. The switch needs to be a momentary switch (you push it and it pops right back). The colors for wiring are, switch = purple and white and the light = red and black. I used 16 gauge wire and needed 23'. You can use whatever color wires you want because the purple is more difficult to find (I used green).

Find the pump switch closest to where you would like to add another switch and is easiest to fish wire from one switch to the other. I used the switch in the water bay, fed the wires to the other side along the tanks and up through the wire harness under my refer. From there I was able to feed it behind the sink and up to the underside of the counter. Obviously, each coach will be different.

The actual wiring is easy. Just tap into the wires at the back of the water bay switch or which ever one you choose. Tap your new purple wire into the purple wire going to the switch. The same with the other three. That's it, just connect the new wires up to the switch and light, purple and white to switch and red and black to light. You're done. The switch plate and switches were $15.00 and the wire was $22.00.

Here is the reworked switch plate installed.

Ok.....One of the skills I'm still lacking is how to make the pictures show up without having to click on them. Mama, maybe you can fix this? (Done..Dip-D...maybe I need to call and walk you through it one day...I know you of all people can do this very easily! MM)

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #2

don, sorry to change the subject but did your countertops come with that gloss or are you responsible? they look great! by the way the switch was a good idea. jim

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Very nice job and write up Don.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Is it just me ...or does anyone one else feel inadequate reading Don's posts? I can never let Nita see your posts Don cuz she will know what neat things that can be added to the coach. Good job on the switch, luckily mine already had that switch in the kitchen.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Great idea, Don. Thanks for writing it up.

Hmm, I need a switch in the bathroom like Luke was talking about in the original thread. I wasn't too excited about moving the one from the kitchen to the bathroom. But on the SFT the control panel is located on the other side of the bathroom wall. Now adding a new switch on the wall behind the panel sounds like a piece of cake.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
beaverjim.......Ours came glossy and dulled a little over time. I tried a bunch of the countertop cleaners and polish and they never looked right. Finally, I just used NuFinish like I do on the exterior. They glossed up a little, but they felt really clean and smooth. I know it works because we have several items we leave on the buffet, between the table and window, while we drive and now they slide off all the time.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #7

DON IS THE MAN!!

Always appreicate his knowledge and willingness to share

Ed
Old 06-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I called Northwest RV Supply and they sent me the 4 hole bezel and switches that go in the water bay
Don do you have a part number?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
Don do you have a part number?
Nonno...Our bezels are different colors than Don's so they would not work for us...you will find other bezels at this link of NorthWest RV Supply if you need a different color or style...but I think you will find what Diplomat Don bought here.
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
DON IS THE MAN!!

Always appreciate his knowledge and willingness to share

Ed
ohhhhh Geeeeeez -Diplomat Don already has a big head - and I see it swelling even more now!!

Don-You know I am kidding...besides I keep thinking you will come up here and repeat some of the projects you have already done on your coach so I can take photos of the work in process to share with your fans here!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks MM
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Somehow, we need to inspire Don to take on a drain system for the AC's. Seems like I'm always in the wrong place and end up with condensate dripping on my head. LOL

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sixpack98......I have a solution for the drainage.....Just can't figure out how to make the holes in the interior roof look right
Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
DON IS THE MAN!!

Always appreicate his knowledge and willingness to share

Ed
Don is on my very short list of "RV modification Guru's". I am always inspired by Don's contributions and yes - it does make me feel inadequate at times. Especially about electrical issues.

Thanks Don Keep it up.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote