Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
but is the oil displacing the correct amount of acid for the batteries to operate?
The oil doesn't displace anything but air space (above the acid/water solution).

Quote:
Is oil an electrolyte?
No and doesn't need to be. The oil only creates a barrier between the acid and the air space above.

I don't believe this thread is about looking for new technology, it's about using older technology to improve old technology. We all know we can buy Lithium or AGM batteries. It's​ just some of us prefer to buy 8 GC2s @ $650, rather than the alternative of $3000. Yet still have some of the bennie's 😀
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #16

A few interesting comments - if oil and water mixed you would have salad dressing, or your coach would be upside down. The electrolyte in a battery have a specific gravity very similar to water, and oil floats on water.

When you add the oil, first you make sure you are happy with the level of electrolyte by adding distilled water, then float the oil. Add water as needed, but it will be infrequent. Oil is pretty much chemically inactive in the battery, and it is a bit of a dielectric.

Yes, you can spend more on technically more advanced batteries and maybe they will out perform the old style, but I'm happy to let you run the experiment and report back here in 6 years on the performance of your batteries. I hope you are right, by then I may be interested in new batteries. The ones in my coach were 1/2 the price of conventional Trojans, maybe the cost of the new technology ones will have come down by then.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with Dan on the Mizer Vent Caps. I have been using them for 20 years on 3 coaches. I just added 1 cup of water to each of the 4 house batteries. Although I have periodically checked the water level, the is the first addition in a year.
Lack of battery cable corrosion is a nice side benefit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	157095

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Please elaborate, if you would.
Sail boats, off road vehicles, construction equipment and any other use, that would involve high angle or high shock loads, that could mix the oil with the acid.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:41 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I added mineral oil (Walgreens) to my house batts over a year ago. Have noticed a distinct drop in cable terminal corrosion and the need to add water less frequently. However, I check battery water monthly and still find that I need to add some, though less than when not using the mineral oil (about 1 cup distilled water divided evenly over my 4 house batts).
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #20

Again, yes I certainly I believe that by adding mineral oil on top of the electrolyte will slow down the degassing hence less corrosion issues.

That being said, your batteries are still using water and that level has to be replenished in order to maintain a proper level to avoid mineral oil contacting and coating the battery plates.

As far as increases battery life by adding mineral oil? I question that and believe that to be anecdotal and nothing more.

I have Motorcraft batteries in my crew cab dually that are 12 years old and just checked them with a real VAT 40 carbon pile load tester and the tested fine, of course, they are maintained on a regular basis and on a battery maintainer when in a storage of more than a couple of weeks.

The other issue would be ( at least to me ) with oil in the batteries is that as stated by TwinBoat “high angle or high shock loads, that could mix the oil with the acid. I know that I have experience driving conditions would shock and shake the coach batteries severely.

I am still trying to dig up reports studies on mineral oil in batteries and seem to be coming up empty.

I sent Exide batteries the question on this practice and waiting for a response.

So my thinking at this point is …that you still have the same amount of time involved and service intervals to maintain the proper electrolyte level by adding water because as someone stated that the mineral oil only slows down the flow rate that the gasses exit the battery and not the volume of gasses.

The 8 batteries in my coach have roller bearing slides 4 to a slide and to maintain them proper water level takes very little time 5-10 minutes. Then take my pump pressure garden Sprayer and spray down the trays with a mixture of water and baking soda.

I'm still trying to noodle this mineral oil thing out and the pros versus the cons . .....I want to take a good look before I leap.

Thanks for all the responses
Old 04-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #21

Adding Mineral to wet cell battries ..Your thoughts

I check my Magnum Energy readout often as I pass by it. If it goes to Absorb charge at 14.5 or higher for more than a few minutes after you plug the coach into the pedstal, or goes above Float charge rate of 13.6 often, the charger is not on par. excessive battery electrolyte loss is most often caused by improper inverter/charger settings and poor 12V electrical management.

IMO mineral oil may be a band-aid for the problem?... (not a fix).
That has been my theory all along. I am convinced that I only need to top off the cells once a year because when stuff is good, there is no need for a bandaid.

I didn't have 12V mgt in my first 2 coaches, just chargers I trusted (but verified with a meter). I have my Dad's lessons firmly in my head on many topics.
Another thing is that when charging is happening as it should, it will periodically show Full Charge. If it doesn't there are likely battery or charging issues
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
RobRoy -- Adding mineral oil is more about avoiding corrosion than having to add water, & it certainly does that --

Harry -- What is the brand of the battery polish you use ? I need to get some -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #23

The Mizer caps seem interesting.

Unless you expose your coach to the kinds of inclines that would invert it, oil stays on top. The cells are deep and narrow, not a lot of room for white caps to form, if you get my point.

Last, you still need to add water because as you charge your batteries, you are creating hydrogen, and it comes from the water, so you do need to replace some water from time to time.

If Dave can tell the rest of us how to run an all electric coach overnight with furnaces going (since it is very cold outside in the winter) without deeply discharging and then recharging our deep cycles, I'm sure we would all like to learn. How long your inverter stays on bulk and absorb charging is directly dependent on how deeply you have discharged your deep cycles.

If you stay on shore power for extended periods, no problem.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
RobRoy -- Adding mineral oil is more about avoiding corrosion than having to add water, & it certainly does that --

So the service interval really doesn't change because you still have to maintain the electrolyte level.

Harry -- What is the brand of the battery polish you use ? I need to get some -- Bill Willard
Here ya go, my friend, your wish is my command

Battery Manufacturers in Poland

Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Please tell me that the gas can in the picture that you have stored next to the batteries contains something other than gasoline! Distilled water perhaps?
Yep, distilled water.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
The Mizer caps seem interesting.

As did I

Unless you expose your coach to the kinds of inclines that would invert it, oil stays on top. The cells are deep and narrow, not a lot of room for white caps to form, if you get my point.

Last, you still need to add water because as you charge your batteries, you are creating hydrogen, and it comes from the water, so you do need to replace some water from time to time.

If Dave can tell the rest of us how to run an all electric coach overnight with furnaces going (since it is very cold outside in the winter) without deeply discharging and then recharging our deep cycles, I'm sure we would all like to learn. How long your inverter stays on bulk and absorb charging is directly dependent on how deeply you have discharged your deep cycles.

If you stay on shore power for extended periods, no problem.
Waiting to here others input on the Water Miser Battery Vent Caps
Old 04-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post

Distilled water rinse before the polish is applied ! Eliminates those unsightly water spots !
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Ben -- Water spots was what I was having problems with - Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries