Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

Advice 2002 windsor

Thinking of upgrading next year to a 2002 34ft Windsor , 3 slides and 350hp.
Anyone owned or driven one with advice on what to look for , or alternative model? . Any advice or opinions would be great . Thanks Jim
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think the Windsor is a great coach. Here's my thoughts.

Our Dynasty has the same chassis as the Windsor, the RR8S. They are semi-monocoque chassis. In other words, the entire chassis and body are one integral steel unit. Very sturdy, very strong. An excellent coach.

My concern is one of length versus wheelbase. Our coach is 36', and I feel that is the absolute minimum length on the RR8S chassis that will handle acceptably well at all. As the coach length shortens, so does the wheelbase, but the length of rear overhang behind the rear wheels remains the same. At some point, the tail is too large for the wheelbase. In other words, the tail begins to wag the dog in wind conditions, passing trucks, etc.

I don't know if 34' would be a very good handling coach in less than ideal driving conditions.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #3

Currently own a sightseer 27c, gas tank, water tanks and gen all behind rear axel , so I understand the concern . Hoping the Windsor would be an improvement and 34ft is biggest I can get on driveway .
Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you buy it I would recommend the Roadmaster Sway Bars, and Koni shocks. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #5

Be aware that the 34' '02 Windsor actually measures 35'8". Jimkate is correct in that shorter coaches, particularly DP's can be less than stable handling wise. In that particular coach the wheelbase is just over 48% of the total length and one of the key parameters for stable handling is over 50%. I suggest that even if you are not ready to pull the trigger, if you find an example of this coach, take it for a test drive & see how it handles.

Otherwise the '02 Windsor was the last year the Windsor was built on the Series S chassis, which is a very strong chassis and is still used for the Dynasty and above. Pay attention to the CCC on the coach you find. Because of the all steel construction, the available CCC can be low.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree with Steve about the CCC. I think the 40' Dynasty and Windsors could be a little tight on available carrying capacity because the chassis and house are built very heavy. I think that our 36' Dynasty should be a little better that way, because 4' shorter structure will mean that there's much less chassis weight on the same axles. The 34' should be that much lighter again. I haven't weighed ours yet, but I suspect that our 36' is actually a little light on the front axle (compared to a 40'), which doesn't help highway handling.

Again, it's just that whether you're talking 40', 36' or 34', you still have exactly the same length and weight of tail hanging out behind the rear wheels.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #7

Just purchased a 2002 Windsor 40' and love it, drove it over a 1000 miles with no problems. Handles very well!!!! Accidently made a detour through Pittsburg PA during rush hour on the home to NJ. Also I went to the certified cat scales a few weeks after coming home and it weighs #30740 with 3 adults, full tank of fuel (128 gallons OUCH$$) and full LPG tank. Be careful about the over all lenght, include the rear ladder and front mirrors. I know because I store this inside my garage. I used two sticks of butter and two shoe horns to make it fit. My wheelbase is 270 inches and with the 55 cramp angle steering is a big plus. I think the Monaco Windsor is a very strong coach. Good Luck and be safe.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #8

How about the later models ,2006 la palma 34ft, do any off the 34ft have better ratio and handling
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #9

Is there any 34ft of any manufacture with good ratio handling
Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrs-ase-evt View Post
Just purchased a 2002 Windsor 40' and love it, drove it over a 1000 miles with no problems. Handles very well!!!! Accidently made a detour through Pittsburg PA during rush hour on the home to NJ. Also I went to the certified cat scales a few weeks after coming home and it weighs #30740 with 3 adults, full tank of fuel (128 gallons OUCH$$) and full LPG tank. Be careful about the over all lenght, include the rear ladder and front mirrors. I know because I store this inside my garage. I used two sticks of butter and two shoe horns to make it fit. My wheelbase is 270 inches and with the 55 cramp angle steering is a big plus. I think the Monaco Windsor is a very strong coach. Good Luck and be safe.
I see what you mean about your garage! That's really tight! I just bought our Windsor 40PBT last week and looking for some type of cover.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 38' 2000 Windsor and love it! Very stable, handles well and very well made. It is HEAVY though!!! We are actually overweight on the R/side rear. No one has been able to figure out why, but we are. Still love it though. We are Fulltimers with plenty of storage below with the 38' (no slides - on purpose)
Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #12

Now looking at 2002 36ft Windsor, most are priced well above ave NADA , is this realistic in a tough economy for a coach with no real backup ??
Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I would buy from a "private" party. Dealers really JACK up the prices so they can have room to negotiate a better deal for themselves. Can't blame them they have to make a living. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Now looking at 2002 36ft Windsor, most are priced well above ave NADA , is this realistic in a tough economy for a coach with no real backup ??
It's not realistic at all. Dealers prey on the unsuspecting public, hoping someone will trust them and pay the price. Unfortunately, some do.