Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #1

I have read a lot of posts on this and did not see an answer so, since our Dynasty does not have this, I thought I would ask.

Can the Alladin, Trip-Tek or VMS be added aftermarket? About what would be the expense and would it be worth it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #2

I have read a lot of posts on this and did not see an answer so, since our Dynasty does not have this, I thought I would ask.

Can the Alladin, Trip-Tek or VMS be added aftermarket? About what would be the expense and would it be worth it?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I had a SilverLeaf VMS 200 in my '99 Discovery. I loved it. It was an older version of the VMS 240 pictured here. I didn't transfer it to the Dip because the Dip has the Aladdin Jr. But the VMS was much better, more flexible, and gave more information.

A VMS will simply plug into your diagnostic port - you probably have one of those somewhere under the dash in your Dynasty. You can spend whatever you like, depending on the features you want. They even have the VMSpc model that works with a laptop, that is relatively inexpensive. SilverLeaf customer support is outstanding. Call them and ask questions. More info here.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #4

redeldo,
I purchased the VMSpc shortly after we got our motorhome. What you are buying is the program itself and the connectors to allow you to hook up to the diagnostic port that most motorhomes have somewhere around the drivers side dash area and to the laptop itself.
I think the purchse price was around $300.00 but I don't rmember without looking it up.
I can tell you that I am very happy with the VMSpc. You get tons of information off the diagnostic port of the motorhome and you can customize your laptop to read which data you want to keep track of.
For example it tells you how many gears you have on the transmission, what gear your currently in, transmisson temp and this is in digital format so it measures it in the tenths of a degree , oil pressure, coolant temp, engine load, boost pressure, turbo temp., current speed, current cruise setpoint. A whole lot more to and you can set the screen up in a fashion thats organized to you so you can read it. The VMSpc also can read trouble codes that were set and can help you diagnose a problem. It does other things like use input from you on tank size to calculate your mileage based on distant traveled and engine performance.
I have been very happy with this purchase. Helps me keep track of whats going on when I'm motoring down the road.
Letsgoagain
Old 04-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #5

Well, I downloaded the VMSpc 2.2 version and the pc will not open a .ENG file.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redeldo:
Well, I downloaded the VMSpc 2.2 version and the pc will not open a .ENG file.

Any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>redeldo...when I go almost all the way near the bottom of this page...anc click here ...I get an .EXE file

Hope that helps

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

Frustrated that my coach did not come with an Alladin, I tried to do an aftermarket install of it as the dealer suggested. After lengthy conversations with Monaco Tech folks (who were extremely helpful in talking with this nut on the phone who wanted to basically re-wire his entire new motorhome, BTW), I gave up on that idea and went VMSpc.

The VMSpc has been everything I could ever want. As was mentioned, it is mainly a software program and an interface that connects your laptop/pc to the coach diagnostic-plug so it can monitor almost all engine and trans parameters. I understand it can also do a few parameters the Alladin can't but I don't know which or for sure - this was only second-hand info. I'm not that familiar with the Trip-Tek, so can't comment intelligently.

I was told that the VMSpc has essentially a lot of the same software capabilities that's in the standalone VMS products.

The screens and parameters can be selected, changed, enlarged/shrunk, moved, and so on. There is a wealth of things to look at, some useful and some just kinda gee-whiz.

The diagnostics page was instrumental in telling me that the engine computer was getting sick - I started getting codes that were telling me things like brake-fluid was low (on a diesel?), spark-plugs were mis-firing, etc. Computer was replaced and not a glitch then.

It's been awhile since I was on their webpage, but they had a very handy user-forum and the owner was on there quite often responding to questions, comments.

All in all, one of the better expenses on my coach.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using the VMSpc since 01 and would not want to be without it, it will do a lot of things and as you stated the user forum is helpful in getting to know what it can do, one of the main features that I like is the ability to readjust my spedo & odometer after a tire upgrade without the expense of having to go to cummins. Also can adjust for accurate MPG with Gen running or without.

Walt
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ronboc,
Lucky you. Wish I would have opted out and now can't convince the wife it is something we need rather than something I want. While the Alladin has a lot of functionality I really like the customized display you can achieve with VMSpc. The Alladin is a little tedious and it annoys me to wait while the screen toggles through. The summary page is useful but would be happier if I could decide what to display.

mark

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #10

After looking at VMSpc it looks like that would be the better way to go. What do you all mount the PC on, somekind of stand? Where is a good place to purchase and what would be the model number?

Wayne
Old 05-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #11

Wayne, keep us informed as to what you do. I am thinking about the VMSpc also, in addition to running DeLorme GPS. My ThinkPad is too large to use some kind of dash mount, so I'm thinking about making a little box for it to sit on beside the driver's chair. I will keep it moveable and use a hook or strap to prevent it from sliding around on the tile floor we have.

I'm also looking for a 7-8" LCD screen (VGA) that I can mount on top of the dashboard. That was I can keep my eyes on the road and still have a good view of the monitor for GPS directions or VMSpc. The monitors on eBay are running between $200-300. I just think that if I try to use the laptop monitor, I will be lookng away from to road way too much.

Let us know what you decide.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote