Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Air alarm when going over bump

I have a Holiday Rambler 2005 Ambassador 40PLQ. Recently, on a couple thousand mile trip, the air system chime has been sounding briefly when going over bumps. Can someone explain this and what the likely problem is?

Thanks
Joe
Joedarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #2

You have a loose connection in the air sensing system. Start by removing, cleaning and tightening especially plug in connectors. A wiring schematic would be very helpful.
I went through a similar issue with my Dutchstar and it took a lot of hours chasing until it was resolved.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

Are the tank gauges holding steady ?

You didn't say how many bumps but the suspension will charge and discharge air, going over bumps.

Sent from my VS835 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes, the gauges are holding pressure. At this point "I think" it's the air alarm. There are several alarms that use the same chime and they sound pretty much the same. The other thing that makes me suspicious of the air system is that sometimes the alarm starts as soon as I release the parking air brake and doesn't stop until I've driven a half mile or so, even though there's plenty of gauge pressure. I was thinking that body movement causes changes in the air pressure system; Is there some sort of 'pressure damper' to prevent transient pressure changes from sounding alarms?
Joedarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedarock View Post
I have a Holiday Rambler 2005 Ambassador 40PLQ. Recently, on a couple thousand mile trip, the air system chime has been sounding briefly when going over bumps. Can someone explain this and what the likely problem is?

Thanks
Joe
could it possibly be the alarm for the jacks? (assuming you have jacks)
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

If you have jacks, it could be from low fluid in the reservoir. Mine chimes when the fluid level is low and I hit a bump similar to speed bumps or come out of a fairly steep drive.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
x2 what Windsorbill and Bubba1 said.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2003 Windsor and ours did about the same thing. When I charge the air system the alarm would start. Sometimes would go for 4 or 5 minutes other times 10 to 15. Changed the pressure switch under the brake valve next to the drivers seat (information read on this forum) and bingo, problem solved.
gonecampin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #9

air alarm

my 06 knight had the same problem. take off the park brake and the alarm sounds for 30 seconds or so. it will continue to get worse where it will not go off at all. there is an air switch hooked up to the park brake button. i have replaced mine twice in 12 yrs. a 15 minute job. For a temp fix, you can pull a 10 amp fuse marked park bell. best to remove (lift up) the switches panel, get the part number and order replacement. Thinking Nason makes the switch.
monaco t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Just to ease your mind....
if your air system fails completely, the default is the brakes STOP you.... you won't be ABLE to move...

My sister called me with the same issue on her trip back and she was worried about the air brakes working, I told her the same thing, if the air brakes don't work, you are not going anywhere
Old 09-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine only goes off for like 5 - 10 seconds after going over bump going down the road once or twice a day!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #12

It’s your parking brake switch under the pull brake lever. They are famous for going out. Other than the alarm, nothing will happen. It will only get worse. You can change it yourself in a few minutes.
gorlininc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Will check that out. Thanks
Old 09-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaco t View Post
my 06 knight had the same problem. take off the park brake and the alarm sounds for 30 seconds or so. it will continue to get worse where it will not go off at all. there is an air switch hooked up to the park brake button. i have replaced mine twice in 12 yrs. a 15 minute job. For a temp fix, you can pull a 10 amp fuse marked park bell. best to remove (lift up) the switches panel, get the part number and order replacement. Thinking Nason makes the switch.
X2

Having the same problem. Replacing the Nason switch is on my to do list this winter!

Tags
air