RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

Air Bag Air suspension problem + need help

This newbie needs help. Today I was leveling our 2005 Monaco Safari Cheetah 40DST before installing the new Levelmate Pro. In the process of getting the rig level I raised the wheels off the ground briefly and that was followed a pop and hissing sound. Exploration led to the realization that my driver's side air bag had ruptured.

Now, this might have just been bad timing and the bag ruptured because of age. They appear to be original so that would make them 14 years old. So this has lead to the following questions?
1) is it safe to change the one bag or should I take this opportunity to change them all?
2) How do I identify the model # of the bag and where should I look for replacements?
3) I am fairly adept at mechanical work but also 65. Is this a job I should able to tackle or is it best left to a professional?
4) When changing the air bag (s) is there anything else I should do or look for at the time?

I look forward to reading your advice.

NOLAfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #2

They are not that hard to change but a bit dirty down there

I would never change just one, always in pairs and given the age of yours, all of them

I am over 70 and I have changed them recently but not on my motor home

They are likely Firestone and they are all stamped which should be visible and the original data for your MH will denote the brand and type installed then

The lines running to the air bags should be inspected closely and if any abnormal wear or checking then change them as well

looking forward to other replies

Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #3

Air Bags

Thanks Milford. Your reply is encouraging. I looked but did not see any markings or labels on the bags. Attached are several photos. I looked in the Owners manual and on the Vehicle Data Card but I can not find reference to the air bags. Hopefully someone will know the details or where I can find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airbag1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	256472   Click image for larger version

Name:	airbag2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	256473  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airbag3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	256474   Click image for larger version

Name:	airbag4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	256475  

Old 08-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
WDW

Limiting straps can possibly prevent that from happening again.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Give Source Engineering a call. They are old Monaco employees that started their own business. One of the products they sell are airbag kits for a better ride. I'm guessing they can name the bag numbers off the top of their heads.

Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #6

No guarantee they will be legible, but I found part number labels on the top plate of the Firestone air springs in my coach. If you find the number on the bag it will be for just the bag, not the assembly, in my experience.
Cy Behrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Go to Files above and do a search on Firestone. You will find the Firestone Air Spring Replacement Guide which should help you identify your air bags.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #8

air bags

Contitech AS8897 at Find it Parts $120 free shipping. Search Monaco owners forum ( 2007 Monaco Dynasty air bag ) for more info.
hockeydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #9

Air Bags

I contacted Firestone as that was the only air bags (suspension)reference in the owner's manual. They gave me two possible part number W01 358 9376 and W01 358 9651. In searching for these on the web I found that these air bags from Firestone are available, but also from Goodyear, Black Tech, Spring-Air and others. The prices can vary from the low $100s to over $200. While quality is very important I am not married to any one brand for brand recognition alone. Most are only warrantied for 2 years so that is not an issue and from what I have read from the various posts the air bags should be checked regularly and changed when they show ware, damage or aging. While Firestone is the larges supplier of suspension air bags (they claim on their site) have any of you had experience with the other brands?
Old 08-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

Air bags

Try this - Contitech AS 8897 at Find it Parts $121 free shipping. This bag has 3/4 pipe tap for fitting. Can be used on rear with 1/4 pipe tap, use reducer bushing. Firestone 8897 is the same bag. Firestone 9376 is same except has 1/4 pipe tap. Google search in Monaco owners forum; 2007 Monaco Dynasty Air Bags. Much info about part numbers and tools needed to do this job.
hockeydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #11

The maximum length of shocks should limit travel before air springs are extended to breaking point, for either solid or independent front suspension; although solid front axles are discouraged from lifting wheels of the ground due to weight placed on shocks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #12

Air Bag w01358-9651 for front of 2005 Safari Cheetah R4R

Thank you all for replying. I have finally ID'ed the bags as Firestone W01-358-9651. The problem is now it appears this item has been discontinued. Do any of you have a coach on an R4R Roadmaster chassis that uses these bags and if so have you found a replacement? If so, please let me know the details.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAfolks View Post
Thank you all for replying. I have finally ID'ed the bags as Firestone W01-358-9651. The problem is now it appears this item has been discontinued. Do any of you have a coach on an R4R Roadmaster chassis that uses these bags and if so have you found a replacement? If so, please let me know the details.
Some time ago this problem arose, the member published the replacement air spring # from a different mfgr. Use the google search box at page top to search irv2.com
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAfolks View Post
NOLAfolks, I have an 07 Neptune and probably have the same airbags as you. I replaced mine several years ago with the bags that come with the ride enhancement kit (REK) from Source Engineering. IMO, the extra money for the complete kit versus just factory style airbags is well worth the money. It really helps with softening up the ride. I looked at my old airbags I removed from my coach a couple years ago for someone else on here and was unable to find any numbers on them best I recall.

I would think you could find an equivalent replacement for them by cross referencing to another brand if you choose to go that route. I'd be glad for you to have the bags I removed from my coach just pay shipping. However, they were on my coach for about 6 years and been stored in my shop for nearly 6 more so they are still old just haven't been in service. HTH

Chad

onechaddude is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, need help, problem, suspension