Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Air Compressor Problem

I Have Coach Winterized In Storage With 50AMP Shore Power Connected, When I go To Check On Coach, Air Comp is Starting & Stopping & Of Course There Is No Air In Tanks, How Do I shut off Compressor?.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Turn off the air leveling should do the job. If that does not work, what air leveling system do you have - HWH - Firestone, Power Gear - etc. ?

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I Have Power Gear, It is Powered down, No Lights are Lit On Panel By Drivers Seat.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Only thing I can think of is find and pull the fuse. Sorry but I don't know where that may be for the Power Gear. If your battery disconnects are turned off that should kill it, but as you have power to the coach I doubt they are turned off.

With power to the coach, you could air it up and just let the aux compressor keep it up and it would not hurt anything. Strange that it is running with the air leveling turned off.

Do you have the schematics for your coach? Dave what year is your Dynasty?

Old 12-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Key on...air level.. hit level.. then Emerg stop. key off.
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Rex, I Could leave it in auto mode as long as I have it plugged In, However, I don;t understand why it runs when in off position.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have had this issue on mine. I had to pull the wire off the pressure switch. Go to the compressor, mine is behind the passenger headlight, and pull the wire terminal off. I understand the only reason for the auxillery compressor is to maintain level after the engine is shut off.

I plugged mine back in about 3 weeks ago and it has not done it again. Mine also cycled with everything in the off position.
38 Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #8

Twomed has it correct with his procedure. It shuts it right down and stops it cycling.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #9

My system is also a Power Gear and the auxillary air compressor is powered when the coach is powered. One of these days I'll wire a relay into the Power Gear system so the compressor is not powered when the Power Gear system is off. Ideally, the compressor would only be powered when the air leveling system is on and not in travel mode.

BTW, if your air compressor cycles often and only for short burst, the pressure sensing relay is not located on the rioght side of a check valve between the tank and the compressor. I and others with Monaco branded coaches had this problem.

BTW, my coach is plugged in for the winter, but only to keep the batteries charged. So, my 2 main DC switches are off. This takes care of the air compressor and everything else that doesn't need to be powered.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, do as Towmed suggested. I have the HWH air leveling, and that procedure also works for it.

Happy New Year everyone

Old 01-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Key on...air level.. hit level.. then Emerg stop. key off.

I a not understanding your instructions. This is the panel I have except where is says "Air Dump", mine says "Tag Lift".

Old 01-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks For ALL The Help, I Could Not Reach Compressor as suggested (TOO FAT) I Viewed My Schems for Fuses, I Found 5 Different fuses regarding (AIR LVL) I Pulled One at a time, Did Not Stop Compressor, I Then Pulled another Fuse (CB CMPSR,) It now has Stopped, ( I HOPE) too Cold too stand there too long.

Thanks again, Love These Forums!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
It does do the short Bursts as you stated, Is it an easy task to correct this?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #14

DCTENT,

The air compressor problem is an easy fix, I wish I had some pictures. If the pressure sensing switch is located on the line that goes from air storage tank to the air compressor pump, it is in the wrong place. This hose has a check valve installed at the storage tank, as it should. So, as the small amount of air that's contained in the compressor pump bleeds down, and it will, the pump will cycle.

The fix is to move the pressure sensing relay so that it reads the pressure in the storage tank. I found the easiest fix was to move the switch to the same fitting on the storage tank that has the pressure relief valve; located on the top of the tank. This can be esily achieved with a "T" fitting. I went to a heavy truck parts supply place and got the T, fittings, and small piece of hose for about $5.

Once corrected, with the air leveling system in "Auto", the pump may come on once every day or so and will run for a couple of minutes.

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote