Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Air horn mount and silicone on roof

Two things. I have a leak where the rear of the roadside (there are two) Hadley Air Horn's air line goes through the roof.

Does anyone have any info on how it's mounted to the roof? I'm going to take it off and remount and Dicor it. The mount is loose in the rear or I'd just reseal it. Can't see how it's attached to the roof.

Also has anyone ever used silicone on roof seals on a fiberglass roof. I had a Satelite dish installed and I expected to see Dicor up there. They used silicone which I don't think bonds to fiberglass very well?
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Silicone doesn't stick well to much of anything
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Silicone doesn't stick well to much of anything
And worse... once silicone has been used nothing including more silicone will stick.
There is a solvent fir silicobe but no experience.
I've used acetone and wet sanded fiberglass to prep for other sealants.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
And worse... once silicone has been used nothing including more silicone will stick.
There is a solvent fir silicobe but no experience.
I've used acetone and wet sanded fiberglass to prep for other sealants.
The solvent works great. I bought at an RV shop. Can't recall the name...acrasol or something like that. White can, lime green label, about $16/can
Old 08-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It looks like the horn is held with two bolts that go through the base attached to the square part at the rear and the round bracket in the front.

http://www.hadleyadvantage.com/wp-co...structions.pdf
Old 08-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
The solvent works great. I bought at an RV shop. Can't recall the name...acrasol or something like that. White can, lime green label, about $16/can
Kent Acrylsol
Old 08-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Perfect. Thx. Looks like both rear horn mounts are leaking. I could see the roadside suspected water entry but the curbside rear horn is not at all apparent from the roof. I can see the curbside airline entry by removing an interior round ceiling speaker.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
MEK works great for cleaning up Dicor residue might work to clean up silicone. Just wear gloves and have good ventilation when using it.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
From below it looked like both horns were leaking. I dried it out good and wrapped the air elbow with a paper towel. This morning,with a little overnight rain, they were both wet.

From the top side I could see the roadside horn was visibly compromised and loose but the curb side looked good visually from the roof.

Turned out they were both leaking.
This kinda concerns me because I couldn't see the leak from the top on the curbside horn.

So I took took the rear mounts of both airhorns off by using a stiff thin putty knife and going around the rectangular rear horn mounts.

Then cleaned them down to shiney chrome and clean fiberglass with denatured alcohol.

To install I had some butyl 3/4" wide tape for a Kool o Matic replacement that I changed my mind on.
I glued the old holes with dowels and toothpicks put down the butyl (that stuff seems nice) new screws and followed up with Dicor

Turns out Monaco just screwed this mount to the roof with no gasket of any type. Then Dicored it. It appears the Hadley guide shows a gasket #3 http://www.hadleyadvantage.com/wp-co...structions.pdf that they failed to use. It was just the chrome edge of the mounting foot and then dicored. There aren't even screw holes on the front of the foot (just two on the rear side) so it wasn't a good install as a result of Monaco not using the supplied gaskets. In addition one of the two screws was next to the air line hole (which was way too big) and wasn't holding anything

Tags
air, roof