Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

Air Hose Recommendation

I have an on-board air compressor... the manual tells me to use 1/4 fittings including type C automotive. That said, I still need a hose. Do I use one of those yellow coil hoses from Wally World or do I get a 3/8 hose from Home Depot and buy the 1/4 connections to make it work. The yellow coil hose claims 300psi. If it works to inflate 120psi front tire GREAT. If not that will a bigger 3/8 hose be better? I am not sure the bigger size hose will make a difference. The air on-board air system on a good day is only capable of 130psi output. Any thoughts? Recommendations?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #2

I used a good quality 3/8 inch hose with proper fittings. Those yellow coil hoses and I just don't see eye to eye. They are always catching on things.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend a good-quality 50' rubber hose (not sure what size but I think all the good hoses are the same diameter). I bought one of the plastic AC cord hand reels at Lowes which is the perfect size for the hose!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

Go get a 50' 1/4" hose, rubber is the best for not being stiff as a plastic garden hose in winter, got this one from Harbor Freight, not the best quailtiy but it will do for this. I found a great place to store both the air hose and water hose, made a couple of hooks, mounted them on the front of the generator to hang the hoses on. Used a couple of bungies to keep them secure.
This Beaver has about 24" from the front of the generator to the actual front panel so there is lots of run.
Lee0920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a good quality no kink, flexible hose. You pay a little more but it should be a good one. Amazon.com: Legacy HFZ3850YW2 Flexzilla 3/8 by 50 Zilla Green Air Hose with 1/4 Ends: Automotive
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

Does your compressor have a large tank? A long, large diameter hose will require a surprising amount of air to fill it when you connect to the QD.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Air hose

I have a mix of hoses at home but I have two I bought at Lowes I think that are translucent reinforced polyurethane and they are great. They are very light and easy to move. They don't seem to kink and they take little space. I use them at home on a big compressor and they are my "go to" hose when airing up tires. They are also cheap!

Shop Kobalt 1/4-in x 50-ft Blue Polyurethane Air Hose at Lowes.com
Attached Images

hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebootsemi View Post
Go get a 50' 1/4" hose, rubber is the best for not being stiff as a plastic garden hose in winter, got this one from Harbor Freight, not the best quailtiy but it will do for this. I found a great place to store both the air hose and water hose, made a couple of hooks, mounted them on the front of the generator to hang the hoses on. Used a couple of bungies to keep them secure.
This Beaver has about 24" from the front of the generator to the actual front panel so there is lots of run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Here is a good quality no kink, flexible hose. You pay a little more but it should be a good one. Amazon.com: Legacy HFZ3850YW2 Flexzilla 3/8 by 50 Zilla Green Air Hose with 1/4 Ends: Automotive
I could be wrong but I think a 1/4 (smaller) hose is better than a 3/8 giving you a little more PSI. Rubber makes sense. Didn't think of rubber/plastic as an issue. Someone said the on-board air compressor is there basically for emergency situations and top-off the tires at a tire shop when possible. Thanks everyone . .
Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I also use the 1/4" Blue Polyurethane Air Hose but I got a 100-ft so I could reach the Toad's tires too, it's light and compact. If you are just adjusting the pressure the 1/4" hose is fine as the flow isn't much. If you were running a impact wrench the 3/8" or larger would be better.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #10

rubber hose

I bought many from harbor freight but buy the red color rubber hose 50ft.$20 the black hose cracks -I have taken back for the red one and been more than satisified!!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I also use the 1/4" Blue Polyurethane Air Hose but I got a 100-ft so I could reach the Toad's tires too, it's light and compact. If you are just adjusting the pressure the 1/4" hose is fine as the flow isn't much. If you were running a impact wrench the 3/8" or larger would be better.
Never thought of the toad... thanks