Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #15

Air leaks

Hi Vito,finally got a look at it today. Challenging for my 6' 3" frame, but with back against the wheel sitting I can get to it from the back. I see the need for a strap wrench. Where did you get yours?
paulusmagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
These work well .....https://www.homedepot.com/p/GearWren...320D/205593397

Just make sure it's big enough for your dryer cartridge.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #17

Air leaks

Hi guys, I got an after market replacement filter for the R9500011 specified. On the filter it says to seat the filter and then tighten it one half turn,test it under pressure and if it leaks, dump the air and tighten it another half turn. All the info I have read is to seat the filter and then tighten it one full turn. What do you recommend? Got the filter on Amazon $ 39.09.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #18

air leak

Hi Ben, I was baffled when I put in the new dryer, it didn't come with a new pccv valve, There was never a pccv valve between the air dryer and the front tank. When the compressor unloads, the dryer pulls about 10 psi from the front tank. I've seen a few different drawings which seem to support a pccv only on the rear tank. So, I left it as it was when I bought the coach 9 years ago. I've only put about a thousand miles on the MH and it seems to work fine!!!! The mew dryer does not purge after the engine is shut off.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #19

air leak

Hi twinboat. Maybe I chose the wrong description, I used the word purge, because it would leak air for maybe 10 seconds and then shut off for about 20-30 minutes and then repeat the same thing sequence until the front tank was empty!!!
Old 11-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestarr View Post
Hi Ben, I was baffled when I put in the new dryer, it didn't come with a new pccv valve, There was never a pccv valve between the air dryer and the front tank. When the compressor unloads, the dryer pulls about 10 psi from the front tank. I've seen a few different drawings which seem to support a pccv only on the rear tank. So, I left it as it was when I bought the coach 9 years ago. I've only put about a thousand miles on the MH and it seems to work fine!!!! The mew dryer does not purge after the engine is shut off.
Have you owned your coach since new?
I'm wondering if a previous owner replaced a Haldex dryer (which I'm not sure has a regeneration system), with a Meritor dryer, and just didn't bother installing a PCCV.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #21

air dryer

Hi Ben, I've owned the coach for 9 years and I don't seem to have any leaking air issues now, so I assumed there was some sort of check valve of sorts in the air dryer unit. But you know what they say about assumptions. By the way I could not find any evidence where a check valve could have originally been installed, how about your coach???? Thanks, Jake
Old 11-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #22

Yep, looks like mine is installed between the wet tank and secondary tank.
I bought an aftermarket SS 1200 replacement, and it did come with a new PCCV.

I was having the same issue as yourself. Meritor tech figured likely the regeneration valve on the dryer, or PCCValve. I just replaced the entire dryer, and that seemed to solve the problem of the dryer releasing air when it shouldn't, but now, my tanks seem to be dropping while parked again.
I'll probably install the new PCCV, and see if anything changes.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #23

Air leaks

Hi Guys
I am sometimes a very slow learner. Reviewing the posts I just saw the complete post #11 of Vito. That answers my questions and replicates my experience so far. Probably should have gotten the vice grip chain strap wrench. Will try to install it tomorrow with the Kobalt strap wrench I got at Lowes. The filter does seem to be very tightly installed. Keep talking. I am learning a lot.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #24

You should be able to remove the old filter with one of those strap wrenches. May need a pipe on the handle for leverage.
Clean around the dryer, and above before attempting removal. You certainly don't want dirt dropping in there with the filter off.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
The vise grip-chain wrench works, but I had to loosen the dryer mount bolts to the frame in order to fit the chain between the filter and frame.
I sure wish they would have located the dryer in an easier location.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
For those of you with limited filter access, this may make your job easier. It allows you to use a long extension to sneak up by the filter. It also adjusts for the oil filter, all the way up to the air drier filter. Mine is a Blue Point, but I’m sure there are knock offs now available, since I purchased mine 25 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6177.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	266582

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6178.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	266583

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #27

Air leaks

Hi Guys
Success. The Kobalt strap wrench (Lowes then no: 044639)worked very well. It is easily adjustable and has a 24/1/2" texturized, reinforced,rubber strap that easily fits a 6" filter. It could handle up to a 7.5" cylinder . Best of all the strap fits between the filter and the mounting. A strong sudden application of force without an extension easily freed the filter. Like everyone says super clean the old filter and the mounting. Using a mirror ( indispensable) and a longhandled small circular wire brush I did a final cleaning between the old filter and the mounting before I removed the old filter. Applied plumbers grease to the O ring and both the new filter and the mounting. Installing the new filter is fairly straightforward since it is somewhat self centering. Spin the filter on until seated, turned it about 1/8th to assure a soft snugness, marked the filter and the mounting,and the using only my hands turned it one full turn until the marks aligned. It was very tight at that point. Vito is right, one full turn using hands only.Using a tool would in my opinion over tighten the filter.By the way I did disconnect the small airline and the electrical connection to create more room and avoid possible damage to them. Use a 9/16th wrench. Aired up the system and no leaks. This is not a task for the faint of heart.It is doable with proper preparation. To create head room I ran the MH upon on double 2x12s front and rear, raised the coach 4" and blocked the H frame. On another thread I learned how to support the H frame from other knowledgeable and experienced posters .
Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum.

Tags
air, leak