Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2016, 07:06 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Air leveling issue on 06 Navigator.

Good Morning! We have a HR 2006 Navigator with the auto air leveling system. It works fine on initial leveling and then re checks the level after 30 min as it should and adjusts if needed. However after two to three days we notice the right side of the coach starts to drop a bit. Can I simply start the engine and re level the coach with the slides out? Assume this is a slow leak in one or more of the air bags and will need to go in for service when we get back home week after next.

Thanks!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #2

Yes, you can restart and level the coach with the slides out, but your description makes me wonder if your small leveling compressor is not working. Is it?
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill767 View Post
Yes, you can restart and level the coach with the slides out, but your description makes me wonder if your small leveling compressor is not working. Is it?
Bill, this is a fairly "new to us" coach. We bought it last year but due to some health issues last year have only had it out a couple of times. I looked at my owners manual and have not found anything on the small leveling compressor. Unfortunately we did not get all the manuals that were with the coach originally including anything on the leveling system. My previous coach had hydraulic jacks so this is all new to me. Where is the leveling compressor and I'll check it out.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #4

On the '06 Dynasty, it is mounted to the "ceiling" forward and above the drive axle, between the frame rails. It is an HWH unit. I purchased a replacement for mine from Northwest RV Supply Northwest RV Supply. I replaced my malfunctioning one, brought the old one home and got it cleaned up and working, again. So now I have a spare. They are VERY failure prone, as they are mounted in a pretty hostile environment, and the motor has an open frame at the brush end of the motor. Major crud, sticking brushes, etc. I've been enjoying four to five year life out of them. The one that is in the coach now is the third one, counting the original.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #5

The next time your coach tweaks the leveling, as it checks every 30 minutes or so, check it out. You will likely hear a brief discharge of air as the high side or end lowers, slightly, if needed. Then you will likely hear the compressor running between the drive axle tires with the sound coming from kind of mid-coach. If no raising is required, the compressor will not run, but it commonly will for a couple of minutes whenever tweaking is required.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Jerry,

Not knowing which HWH Air Leveling model your coach uses I have attached my manual to give you some idea as to the parts and how they work.

Some people like to dump air BEFORE leveling thereby having the steps for the front door as low as possible. When people do that most of the air has been released from the air bags therefore the small HWH air compressor is needed to maintain proper level of the coach by pumping up the low areas.

Then there are people that will start with the coach leveled further higher. In those cases, the HWH will let air out to maintain level until there is no more air bag room to do that. That's when the small air compressor will kick in and raise the areas of the coach to maintain proper level.

Hope this helps!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH 600 Model.pdf (405.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf HWH Air Leveling Systems Text Book.pdf (337.3 KB, 47 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
The next time your coach tweaks the leveling, as it checks every 30 minutes or so, check it out. You will likely hear a brief discharge of air as the high side or end lowers, slightly, if needed. Then you will likely hear the compressor running between the drive axle tires with the sound coming from kind of mid-coach. If no raising is required, the compressor will not run, but it commonly will for a couple of minutes whenever tweaking is required.
Thank you for that info. In fact it did adjust the right side Down a little after the very first 30 minutes. I was outside and heard and saw the coach drop But it was just air escaping to lower that right front. You mentioned that it checks level every 30 minutes. I heard and saw it after that first 30 minutes but not at all sense then and I was outside by the coach all day yesterday. I looked at the leveling panel inside and it does not appear to even be on. goung to the level it this morning and then see if it drops again if the compressor ever kicks on
Old 09-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The HWH Air Leveling panel has to be ON and in Standby mode for it to monitor the level and correct any area out of level. If the panel gets turned off then it won't do anything.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Jerry,

Not knowing which HWH Air Leveling model your coach uses I have attached my manual to give you some idea as to the parts and how they work.

Some people like to dump air BEFORE leveling thereby having the steps for the front door as low as possible. When people do that most of the air has been released from the air bags therefore the small HWH air compressor is needed to maintain proper level of the coach by pumping up the low areas.

Then there are people that will start with the coach leveled further higher. In those cases, the HWH will let air out to maintain level until there is no more air bag room to do that. That's when the small air compressor will kick in and raise the areas of the coach to maintain proper level.

Hope this helps!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thank you Richard!!!! I leveled the coach initially before dumping all the air and it just needed to let a bit of air out to drop the right front after that first 30 minutes. Given the fact that the right side is sagging a bit now, and I never heard a compressor kick on to raise it, maybe the compressor is not working. And thank you for the link to the manual. I'll print it out and take a look. One quick question, on the leveling panel, it has a dim fast blink When leveling is complete. Should that stay on all the time? And does the system continue to check every 30 minutes or so after initial leveling? My panel has no lights on at all
Old 09-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Your "Air Operation" light should be on, (I believe it is Green) once any leveling has been competed. It should remain on all the time. It will start flashing I believe when it goes into its re-leveling mode and then steady on after it has finished.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #11

You can test the aux compressor by making sure the RV big air tanks are empty and select manual leveling which should be the first depression of the button then hit push and hold an UP arrow button. This will put a demand on the system for air and the aux compressor should come on. Sometimes the compressors are quite so you need to have somebody with good hearing stand just forward of the drive axle on the passenger side. I built a galvanized metal box to slip up over the compressor cage to protect it. Have to put drain holes in the bottom of it if you do that.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #12

I assumed since you had a Navigator like I do that you had a Valid leveling system, but it sounds as if you have a HWH. If so, possibly my description of the air lines and wiring may be different.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
Good Morning! We have a HR 2006 Navigator with the auto air leveling system. It works fine on initial leveling and then re checks the level after 30 min as it should and adjusts if needed. However after two to three days we notice the right side of the coach starts to drop a bit. Can I simply start the engine and re level the coach with the slides out? Assume this is a slow leak in one or more of the air bags and will need to go in for service when we get back home week after next.

Thanks!!
Jerry,

Many of the posts are assuming you have a HWH system. I have a Valid system. I thought the Navigators have the Valid, but maybe not. Let's figure out which you have before you get too far into trouble shooting it.

My aux compressor in basically on the front axle.. With engine OFF, I can manually raise the coach, which will turn the aux compressor on. Easy to hear it then. I did have a loose wire connection on the compressor and the symptoms are as you describe.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I think I heard the key must be on when you enter the leveling mode in order to activate the small compressor? Once you enter the leveling mode you can turn the key off.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling