Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Air Leveling Leak Help

I'm looking for suggestions as to where to look for the leak. This is what I'm experiencing: I use to level the coach and leave the system on to re-level when needed. After a day or two it would start to come on frequently to re-level the coach. So I know I have a leak somewhere. Now this is the weird part, I noticed the coach stayed level the last time I camped and the only thing I did differently is I turned the re-level feature off. I've now been home for 2 1/2 months and coach is staying level with leveling feature turned off. So where would you suggest I look for the leak as I should be able to keep the re-level feature on but it shouldn't need to run as frequently as it's doing now.

Suggestions
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When you say "it shouldn't need to run as frequently as it's doing now." are you talking about the system waking up and checking for level or the compressor cycling more often?
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My Monaco coaches have all had 2 water drain valves front and 2 rear and at least one of the valves (all 4 on the last one) on every coach has leaked.
These are readily available on Amazon and in parts stores as most air compressors use them. These are easy to change out.

After that, it gets more difficult. You have to get the coach up high enough to safely get under it with a spray bottle of dish soap and water and start spraying all the air fitting solenoids and valve connections. Most of the fittings and valves have push-in connections where the plastic air line pushes into an O-ring. Over time these get dirty and leak. You can cut 1/4" off the airline, clean and reinsert it and sometimes fix the leak but more often you have to replace the fitting or rebuild the solenoid with new O-rings.
This is an ongoing process for almost as long as you own the coach.

I took my last coach to an RV place up in Phoenix that had 4 large jacks connected via Bluetooth that you could raise the coach up 6-8' in the air. We were able to repair and rebuild the entire air system in a few hours. This lasted until one of the water drains started leaking 6 months later.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds similar to mine. It was on the main pressure feed line from the compressor to the front leveling valve pack. That valve on mine went bad.
It is such a short line, it won't hold pressure long and cause the compressor to short cycle. But the air past that first valve must have a check valve and held level.
Found it with lots of soapy water in a spray bottle. Bought new valves direct from valid in BC.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
When you say "it shouldn't need to run as frequently as it's doing now." are you talking about the system waking up and checking for level or the compressor cycling more often?
Compressor cycling more often.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Sounds similar to mine. It was on the main pressure feed line from the compressor to the front leveling valve pack. That valve on mine went bad.
It is such a short line, it won't hold pressure long and cause the compressor to short cycle. But the air past that first valve must have a check valve and held level.
Found it with lots of soapy water in a spray bottle. Bought new valves direct from valid in BC.
At Quartzsite next year maybe you can show me which valve your talking about. What puzzles me is why does it stay level when I turn the leveling feature off? Are the valves your talking about electrically controlled by the leveling system?
Old 11-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
At Quartzsite next year maybe you can show me which valve your talking about. What puzzles me is why does it stay level when I turn the leveling feature off? Are the valves your talking about electrically controlled by the leveling system?
Yes, they are up high above the front axle and are electronically controlled. When sprayed with soapy water, on mine it was evident which valve was leaking.
Valid told me DO NOT use Teflon tape and if you use pipe dope be extremely careful to not let any in the system. It will flow to the valves and jamming them. There was junk in the valve I removed.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #8

Since it's been sitting now and staying level, do the bags still have air or is it all the way down? We have a similar problem and I've isolated it to the front. In campsites requiring the front to be raised there is a problem. When the front needs to be down, it's fine.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Since it's been sitting now and staying level, do the bags still have air or is it all the way down? We have a similar problem and I've isolated it to the front. In campsites requiring the front to be raised there is a problem. When the front needs to be down, it's fine.
Yes I believe so, will double check but pretty sure they do.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Yes I believe so, will double check but pretty sure they do.
Ken,

CaptJake is right on. I had the same problem as you're having. Only would leak when in auto mode. Compressor would cycle to much.

I found the leak where there air lines were going into the 6 pack using soapy water. In my case, it was the rear one, but you may need to check the front 6 pack as well. It's a son of a gun to get up to them, but doable. Just take precautions when working on air lines under the coach.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161229_110213.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	183326
Old 11-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks John. I'll try and take a look at that before we head south.

I just checked the coach and it was level and front bags were definitely full and back about half full but that's what it needs to be level. Based on the guage in the dash the rear air tank was full and the front air tank was empty. This is after sitting 2 1/2 months. Still think the culprit is a leaking valve?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The valves your talking about have the electrical wiring attached?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I set up, I'll leave the system in auto till I'm going to bed, then I power the system down. I'll power the system back up for a bit every 3 or 4 days after that.
I find if left powered up, it seems to let air out of the bags during the daytime, then add air to the bags at night, causing the compressor to fire up while your sleeping.
Maybe a temperature thing .

Tags
air, leak, leveling