Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #1

Air Ride System Modification, Air Dump

1999, Monaco Windsor, 40, 8 bag system.

I am planning on a modification to the air bag system to allow me to dump the air in the suspension prior to backing into my garage. As it stands the coach just scrapes the top of the a/c unit on the garage door, and the 2” - 3” of suspension drop would make this a non-issue.

My reading about this system indicates that the air dump valves on the system are 2-way, but supply is continuous, meaning they are able to release air but do not shut down the incoming air. However I have not been able to find a complete air schematic with dump valves and electrical connection on the system so I could understand this better.

Making assumptions based upon prior posts and schematics on this and other forums it appears that I will need to install additional 3-way valve(s) in the systems for the front and rear so as I activate these, it will shut off the incoming air and dump the air in the systems while the unit is running. And allow me to back it into the garage while the unit is dropped.

For safety purposes, I will probably use the 3-way valves in a fail-safe position, where when de-energized they would maintain the normal suspension operation, and energized they would allow the coach to drop.

Any comments, input from other folks that have solved this previously, or more detailed information on this system would be helpful.
Gulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Consider using a ride height valve with a "dump" feature. These are designed to do what your wanting to do. You just need to find the proper fit/valve for your coach. There are a lot to choose from (arm length, mounting style, etc.).

Here's an example https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/270-E9624.html

or maybe something like this (and use your current RHV) Available as normally open or normally closed: https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/070-90554335.html
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not familiar with your system. Mine doesn't have a "Dump" button but has a "Lower" button which deflates all 4 corners. The problem is when it senses the transmission in gear it pumps the bags up. In my case, a switch to shut the "in gear" signal off would do the same thing you are planning.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #5

Air valve

You might want to try looking for Freightliner, Peterbilt, Mack truck etc. Air plumbing All of them dump and shut off air supply to the bags.I think they all use elec. over air valve.

Hope this may help you.
retiredusps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When I bought my rig back in 2008 there was a 3 button gizmo hanging from the drivers side console. It is basically 3 momentary buttons tied together.

I had no idea what it was, initially I thought it might have something to do with the horn. One day I decided to try it and pushed one of the buttons, one of the airbags dumped air, tried another and a different one dumped air. I came to the conclusion that it was installed to act as a leveling system when parked for short times. I know that there are several wires jumped to terminals in the front drivers side run bay. Never really tried to figure out how it is wired in and really don't use it.

Just posted to let you know it is possible.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I'm not familiar with your system. Mine doesn't have a "Dump" button but has a "Lower" button which deflates all 4 corners. The problem is when it senses the transmission in gear it pumps the bags up. In my case, a switch to shut the "in gear" signal off would do the same thing you are planning.
When you put your coach in gear, quickly push 'MAN' again. Air bags will stay where you want them, unless you go over something like 12 mph.
This works for Valid air leveling, and I assume HWH.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
When you put your coach in gear, quickly push 'MAN' again. Air bags will stay where you want them, unless you go over something like 12 mph.
This works for Valid air leveling, and I assume HWH.
Good to know. I do have Valid. I assume it will also keep it up if lifted all the way which would be good for clearance at times.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just so's I get this straight in my head...

I can drop the coach all the way down (air-only Valid system), start the engine and let the tanks fill-up, then put the coach in gear but quickly press 'MAN' - and the bags won't inflate (assuming I don't go faster than 12mph). Right?

And from what hypoxia said, it'd work in reverse - I can lift the coach all the way up too. Cool! Excellent idea, many thanks!!

I don't have a low garage to worry about, but did wreck the sat dome on my old Endeavor going under an "I think'll fit" tree-limb once. Wished I'da known back then.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Good to know. I do have Valid. I assume it will also keep it up if lifted all the way which would be good for clearance at times.
Yes. Thats the only way I've used it (raised), usually when boarding / unboarding ferries.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With the standard HWH system I was supposed to be able to lower the rig and drive a few feet slowly by pressing and holding the "dump" switch and raise it by pressing and holding the "raise" switch. Never tried it though.
An expensive solution is driving to Iowa and having HWH install their Active Air system.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #12

Valid system you don't have to hold any buttons. Raise or lower in manual mode, put trans in gear, leveling system will automatically switch to travel mode, quickly press manual mode, and you will stop the bags inflating or deflating.
One other note: once you get past your hazzard, and put in travel mode, don't go blasting away. It takes a bit for your bags to drop down low enough to keep your driveshaft happy.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Gulie,

I’m assuming you have hydraulic leveling, like my previous 99 Dynasty had. Would please confirm?
If so, I’ll give you the schematic, solenoid type, and dash switch with warning light, to accomplish what you want.

I didn’t like fanning the brake pedal to get the tanks low enough so they wouldn’t be refilling the air bags as I was dumping them via the dump switch.

I just added 2 way, 100% duty cycle, normally closed solenoid valves between the supply tank and ride height valves. Red dash light stays on if switch is off, only with key on.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #14

Thanks for the input, I will do some more testing to see if the gear selector interacts with the dump valve as suggested. Sounds interesting.
Gulie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, cat