RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Air Suspension Only... Pros and Cons

Air Suspension OnlyÖ What are the pros and cons of air suspension only? The pros have to be no jacks. Iíve heard about all the problems with electric jacks and figure the hydraulic jacks are probably a better choice, but what about air only suspension? Would you do it again or look for an alternative?

Recon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #2

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. My motorhome has air suspension, but I most certainly have jacks.

2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

Are you mixing up suspension and parked jacks down leveling?
air suspension is between the coach and frame. Electric levelers go from the frame to the ground.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I'm not sure I fully understand the question. My motorhome has air suspension, but I most certainly have jacks.
I am no expert. Actually looking at buying a Monaco Dynasty. Monaco builds their coaches on a Roadmaster chassis using 10 air bags. When parked they use the air bags to level the coach or that's how I understand it... newbee
Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Are you mixing up suspension and parked jacks down leveling?
air suspension is between the coach and frame. Electric levelers go from the frame to the ground.
This is a Monaco Owner's forum so I'm hoping the experts jump in on this one. Again, newbee
Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Many of the larger coaches use the air suspension as the leveling system. No external jackes. I've been looking at moving up to one of those but I have heard that they are limited in the amount of adjustment for out of level.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Some M/Hs out there with air suspension only ( aux air pumps to charge the system when engine isn't running)individual control of air bags for leveling when parked. I hadn't heard of the set up myself till about 3 weeks ago. Never seen one just heard about.So I'm not sure if I have a complete understanding either.
Note to self .. read all post before responding .
Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

My 98 Executive uses the air bags to level. We've been using it for ten years with no problems. It's fast and will level the coach on un-level sites about as well as any jack system. Just push the level button after parking and it takes care of itself. The system will also stay level for weeks if parked that long.

I would not want to go back to jacks.
Larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon4 View Post
This is a Monaco Owner's forum so I'm hoping the experts jump in on this one. Again, newbee
Sorry brain fart....
I know there have been a couple of people that have had small issues with a side of the coach being warmer than the other and some sponginess due to pressure differences or adjusting if the HWH system was left on..... that's it I'm done.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Recon4, just be VERY HAPPY you have Air Leveling. That is what it is. Air suspension is air in air bags holding the coach up when you are driving. When parked, the same air bags are used to level the coach, but the system of doing this is in addition to the suspension operation. The common item on both air suspension and air leveling is the air bags.

My Monaco coach was lower on the food chain and came only with hydraulic jacks. They worked ok but leveling was a bit rough and jerky. I added air leveling a few years ago and love it. Now I never use the jacks.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #11

You'll be very happy with the air leveling. It is standard for all the larger, higher end coaches for a reason. It greatly reduces the stress on the chassis and does a very good job. RVs with jacks report broken windshields due to chassis flexing to a much greater extent than RVs with air leveling.

For the Dynasty and above, Monaco did offer jacks as an option for those that were used to them on previous RVs. The few people I've talked to that have both say that they never use the jacks.

I do believe that the jacks will have a little greater range that the air leveling system. The problem is that if the ground is so off level that you need that added range, be prepared to replace your windshield, since it is possible to twist the frame so much that the glass will crack.

Enjoy the Dynasty, we had an 2002 prior to our current coach.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #12

Thanks all.... appreciate the feedback. Not having to carry around jack blocks is also a big plus.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #13

I have air leveling on my 99 Windsor and absolutely love it. It's so nice to pull into a campground, press the level button and after its level, turn off the engine and dump the air. It's very seldom we are so unlevel that the air leveling can't make us level.
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon4 View Post
Thanks all.... appreciate the feedback. Not having to carry around jack blocks is also a big plus.
Ok, I'll jump in now...

Are jack blocks recommended? Never used them but I guess I could see them helping to level the coach when the rig is on very uneven ground.

broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension