Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Air vs Hydraulic vs Air/Hydraulic Leveling

We're going to look at a 2003 Monaco Executive 42SBW and it has the standard, according to the brochure, "Automatic Air Leveling System".

Under "OPTIONS" in the brochure it offers "Hydraulic Leveling System" and "Dual Leveling Systems (Air/Hydraulic)". What's the difference between these three systems?

Thanks,

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Dave I think what they are saying is you can have air and hydraulic for lots more cash or air leveling or hyd leveling no extra charge when ordering new. And that is a no brainer, air is the way to go.

walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto, air is the way to go...

I have only been able to NOT level once in 4 yrs of fulltiming. And this once I was very close so it was not an issue!

Plus, I tip my coach over a bit at fuel stations to ease filling the tank... this you really can not do with hydraulics... you can but the station will yell like hell at you if you do.
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDave View Post

We're going to look at a 2003 Monaco Executive 42SBW and it has the standard, according to the brochure, "Automatic Air Leveling System".

Under "OPTIONS" in the brochure it offers "Hydraulic Leveling System" and "Dual Leveling Systems (Air/Hydraulic)". What's the difference between these three systems?

Thanks.
Dave,

There are really only two coach leveling systems, Hydraulic Jacks or Air Bag Leveling. Most times the coaches will offer one or the other, however with the higher end coaches, they will offer a third option, BOTH.

I have air leveling on my Windsor, however there are times when I wish I had both. Depending on how full or empty the air bags are when finished leveling depends on whether you have any wobble in the coach. Generally you will experience more as your air bags reach their lowest air setting. This is where the additional hydraulic jacks would help in reducing the wobble and give it support at the chosen height. You simply lower the jacks until they are supporting the coach but not lifting or leveling.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #5

I can not understand why an air system would be better than a hydraulic system. Air is not stable. Hydraulic fluid is not compressable which should give a much more stable system and support. Please educate me and others who are on this thread.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
I can not understand why an air system would be better than a hydraulic system. Air is not stable. Hydraulic fluid is not compressable which should give a much more stable system and support. Please educate me and others who are on this thread.
JB
The air leveling system on my coach is VERY stable and so easy to use. When I pull into a camp spot the coach is already level as it keeps the coach level while driving down the road. However, it is level for road travel and I want it lower to the ground, so I push the "ON" button twice and it lowers the coach to the lowest point that it can level. If you leave the system on then any time the the coach leveling changes, due to a shift in load it will automatially adjust back to level. It also is much more stable than 4 jacks on the pad as the coach is resting on the 8 tires. You can even park on the beach in sand, or on a muddy location. Try doing that with jacks

When we get ready to pull out there are no jacks to retract. Simply start the engine, wait for the air pressure to build to a safe level for the brakes, take off the parking brake, put the transmission in gear and the "travel" light comes on and away we go!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My 2003 Windsor has both Hyd and air leveling I generaly level with the air and then put the hyd jacks down snug on the turf to help study things up the coach real nice way to go.
Don
dpeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #8

We have both HYD and AIR leveling. Air is by far easier on the coach. I use it more than the Hyd, but if we are staying for extended time the Hyd will hold the coach without the annoying supplemental air pump noise.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Think I understand it now.

Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like nice feature(s) to have.

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling