RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 03:27 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laheze View Post
Thank you all again. I really appreciate your help.
I thought the noise seemed more loud on the passengers side when that sorta loud knocking noise is going on before the compressor reaches its 115 to 120 psi and relieves itself.
I am slowly coming up to speed on my first coach. I've owned only front engine gas powered motor homes in years past plus several 5th wheels. I've driven Ford F250s since 1985 and currently a2012 model, so I'm used to that type of Diesel engine driving. These coaches are just plain ole big! I normally can take care of problems mostly on my own. If I have a broken whatever I fix it myself usually. When I was at the dealer looking at this thing, I thought it might just be too big and heavy for me to mess with, just pay someone and let them do it. I am trying to gear my brain back to me doing things myself like I've always done. I'll see how things progress in the do it myself category. When I fix things I do not take shortcuts or the cheap way out, I do it correctly. I've seen a lot of slipshod work in my life and that kind of repairs usually bites somebody in the backside when they least expect it.

So I've got another question. Where is the dryer your talking about? What is it? Is it built into the air Pump? How big is it? How expensive are they? Are they easy to repair/replace?
How does a dryer make noise?
I've owned electric dryers before that were used for removing water from my big air compressor and airlines. It reminded me of a window air conditioner and was about the same size.
Thank you, all information is appreciated.
Larry,

On your coach the air dryer is behind the air conditioner condenser in that compartment behind the road side rear wheel. The compartment has a grilled door for air flow and is opened with a barrel key that looks like a vending machine key. It should be somewhere with your coach (I hope). When you find the key open the door and you will notice that the barrel key is also used to open the condenser. The condenser is hinged and swings out, at least on my coach that is the way it is. Our coach is a 2006 so yours may be different. Behind the condenser you will find the air dryer, the primary fuel filter, and the hydraulic pump for the leveling jacks. The air dryer should be changed about every three years so since you are new to the coach I would change it. You will need and chain wrench or a very good strap wrench. The air dryer cartridge will sometimes be struck and difficult to turn.
If you purchase one of these you won't have any trouble:
http://www.amazon.com/Apex-Tool-Grou...s=Chain+Wrench

Here is a thread I once posted on supporting the hydraulic fluid tank. It has some photos of what things look like behind that door.
Power Gear Tank Support

I just noticed that Roy has posted a good photo of the air dryer here:
Power Gear leveling jacks on Endeavor 2006
The large black thing on the left is the air dryer and the white object in the upper right is your primary fuel filter. You need to carry a spare primary and secondary fuel filter with you just in case you get some bad fuel. On our coach the secondary fuel filter is on the street side of the radiator below the power steering hydraulic tank. Open the doors at the rear covering the radiator and look down. You should see the fuel filter.

By the way Larry, on coaches like ours, the big motivation for doing your own engine work is to keep the grease out of your bedroom and interior. A lot of the engine work on a rear radiator coach requires going in through the engine hatches in the bedroom. If you have two slides, like we do, it requires opening the slides and raising the bed up. When we work on the engine from the bedroom we throw down a high quality canvas painter's drop cloth and cut a hole where the engine hatch is.

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 12:37 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bob,
That's great information. Thank you for the details. I do have a door on the side like that and I have a key like you mentioned. I'll have to do what Monte Hall says,"let's see what's behind door number 2"

laheze is offline   Reply With Quote