Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #1

Aladdin system - Can backup camera be full-time?

Been combing through the Aladdin manual (Aladdin 4xx Coach Monitor Systems) to find out if it is possible to set the back up camera monitor to full-time mode. At times I like to get a rear view for approaching traffic and determining enough space for a lane change. Can this be done? If so, how? Thanks much.

P.S. My system does not have See Vision
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Been combing through the Aladdin manual (Aladdin 4xx Coach Monitor Systems) to find out if it is possible to set the back up camera monitor to full-time mode. At times I like to get a rear view for approaching traffic and determining enough space for a lane change. Can this be done? If so, how? Thanks much.

I found the signal wires from my side cameras. I installed a single pole double throw switch to turn them on or off, though I leave them off.
This leaves the rear camera on all of the time.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #3

Thanks, Captjake1. Even though, I do not have side cameras, are you saying that my system is wired for these?
Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That don't know. I know there are several variations on the Alladin system.
My screen in the dash handled the engine information as well as cameras. I went so far as to install a dedicated 7" screen n for the engine info and left the in dad screen for cameras.
On line, the screen would change to side cameras on turn signal. That's what led me to this solution.
Sorry it doesn't seem to be the same setup.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #5

Well, I wired my backup camera to a Y connector and put it to the aux input on the dash video display. When I want the backup view "only" I swap the display from primary (normal display for input 1) to input 2 where just the backup camera is wired. Not sure if you have multiple inputs or not to your display. Maybe need a second display for that.

Also, on my 05 Executive, the Alladin display I can select the camera input to only one setting if I want, the only problem is that I have to cycle through all the other Alladin options to go from one page to another meaning, it is quicker to hit the video 1 or 2 button to cycle from backup camera to Alladin display than cycle through all the Alladin options (not sure I am making that clear).
I like the backup camera also as I am always towing something. But I also like the Alladin engine and or coach electrical status pages in a hurry so to speak.

I have been thinking about wiring it up to go to the backup camera when I turn on a turn signal rather than the turn signal cameras. I find the backup camera much more useful when changing lanes in traffic because it give a better perspective on how close that traffic in the opposing lane is than the turn signal camera.

Any of that make sense?
Windecker.

Quote:

RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 PM   #6

I also added a second display that shows the backup camera view only. Used an RCA Y splitter and plugged in the camera lead where it enters the distribution box, one lead then back into the box the other to the new display. You will need a Y adapter that has one male spilt into two females I believe. The factory display functions as normal but the new one is rear camera only. I also needed to add a signal booster since splitting the camera signal weakened the brightness.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My Aladin goes to a Voyager screen display, so I can just hit the pause button on any of the 4 camera views and it will stay there as long as I want.
I prefer to leave it paused on the engine information screen. My rear view actually see's the hitch and front of the toad, and is not adjustable so I have no view of the back half of the toad or beyond.
I am use to driving a semi pulling double trailers so judging distance isn't that difficult for me. I just add 60 feet of distance from the back of the mh. since I can not see the toad in my mirror. This way I am not cutting anyone off and scaring them into doing a panic move. I also signal my lane change for 10 seconds or so before I actually move over. Some folks especially truckers will flash their headlights to let you know you are clear of them and good to change lanes....This is very helpful in learning the distance in your mirrors.
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:31 AM   #8

Thanks for your replies. My take-away so far is that I cannot do this without some type of wiring modification. My goal now is to learn where the connectors and appropriate wires are located. Perhaps it will prove simpler to add a separate wireless camera and monitor. Without these great winter-time projects I may actually have to give attention to the DW's list around the house.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I also added a second display that shows the backup camera view only. Used an RCA Y splitter and plugged in the camera lead where it enters the distribution box, one lead then back into the box the other to the new display.

2x this ⬆️. Paid about $30 for a 7” display on Amazon and about $5 for a RCA “Y” splitter. Mounted new display on the dash directly above the in-dash display. New display is rear-view all the time, and the in-dash shows Aladdin data and switches to side cameras when turn signals are on. Highly recommend!
Smhutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The Aladdin manual it says the Rear View Camera will stay on when the coach is in Reverse (or when Hazard Lights are on), so it should not be too hard to tie into the backup lights (or hazard lights) circuit with a toggle switch to send a power signal to the Aladdin. You would need to use a diode in the circuit so you don't send power back to backup lights (or Hazard lights) when the toggle switch is On sending power to the Aladdin. That would keep Backup camera on all the time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameras.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	232286  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:

Sandy -

I turn mine on for always show the rear camera.

When it powers up the top menu item on mine shows Camera View (something like that anyway). You go in there and one of the options is rearview camera. Select and it is always showing. Page 10

http://www.tckempke.com/HRNav/Aladdi...s-Guide-05.pdf

This is on my 04 Windsor anyway. HTH!
Paul L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Camera 4 option?

My Aladdin control has an arrow right that takes the display from whatever screen you are on (usually kept on engine and trans temperature screen) directly to camera 4. Right click and you go to camera 4. left click and you are back to the primary screen where you were before. Only problem is I do not have a camera 4.

could I use a splitter to split the rear camera output and send it to the camera 4 position? This would allow me to simply toggle to it when I want to check the toad without having to go through the plethora of menu buttons.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L. View Post
Sandy -

I turn mine on for always show the rear camera.

When it powers up the top menu item on mine shows Camera View (something like that anyway). You go in there and one of the options is rearview camera. Select and it is always showing. Page 10

http://www.tckempke.com/HRNav/Aladdi...s-Guide-05.pdf

This is on my 04 Windsor anyway. HTH!

Thanks Paul, I will try that when I drive it home from the service shop next week (having a slide seal replaced). I thought that I had toggled through all of the menu options.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #14

Update
If Paul L's suggestion doesn't work (fingers crossed, Paul), I will go with what others said about using a Y splitter connector.
With help from you all, I'm sure we will wrestle this down. Thanks much folks.

Tags
camera