RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Aladdin System Info

I attended the FMCA Rally this week and went to a few of the seminars. One of them was from SilverLeaf. I wanted to learn a few new things about the SilverLeaf PC system I use.

One of the topics that arose was that the Alladin System no longer had parts available since it was an old Monaco in-house system. SilverLeaf now makes parts for the Alladin sytem. I'm guessing it's a replacement brain.

Some of you may already know this, but I thought I would throw this out.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It is a complete replacement that interfaces to the sending modules I think the cost is very high.

itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Don the Silverleaf is a small module that connects to a port in your coach under the dash. The port is either a 6 or 9 pin round connector that is already there. The module, called a JIB, then connects to a laptop computer you supply. There are two versions of the JIB. One connects to the computer via a serial port. Many computers no longer have this so you would need a serial to USB converter which you can get at Radio Shack for about $25. The second type Jib is the newest model and it connects via a USB to the computer. Either will supply the same information on the computer display.

The Silverleaf VMSpc software is free and can be downloaded from their site. By downloading it and playing around with, you can get a very good idea how to use it and what information is available for display. It is only for electronic engines and there are some limitations as some of the newer engines have changed the data feed.

Silverleaf also has a forum here:

VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.

Download the software here:

VMSpc Downloads | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.

The newer JIB can be purchased from Silverleaf or one of their dealers. You will find the dealers selling it for less than Silverleaf. One such dealer i RV Upgrades at this link.

Silverleaf VMSPC Engine Monitoring on Your Laptop

So why should you have it! Well once you start using it you will no longer use or trust your dash instruments. You get more and better information. As an example the transmission temp. I don't see mine move more than a needle width. The VMSpc shows a good range more like you would expect. Same with the engine temp.

If you want to save a buck, you can get the older type JIB with the serial interface but you will have to look for someone reselling that. I have upgraded to the USB Jib and do have one of the older serial units if you are interested. Not trying to push it and would recommend the newer USB.

I like the system so much that I don't feel comfortable driving the coach without it. It is that good.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Rex, The VMSpc & JIB do not replace the Alladin system..... The Alladin system monitors many more items in the coach than the engine and transmission.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rex......You may have missed a short sentence in my first post. I've been running the SilverLeaf PC program for about three years now. I fueled up about two miles from the house the other day and had turned the SilverLeaf program off for the short drive home. It was weird......I had to look at gauges I haven't looked at in a long while.

As "itdave" said, it's a replacement for a broken Alladin system. Anything made by SilverLeaf is expensive, but it might be worth it to someone who wants their Alladin system to work again. They did discuss the price of a complete glass dash that they put in Foretravel, Country Coach, and some others. They'll make you a custom glass dash for your coach, any brand for $10,000.00!!!!!

Rex.....Stopped in and saw George, his wife and the African parrot. The bird is amazing, didn't stop talking.....nice people.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

Alladin Replacement

Don,
Two weeks ago I had the Silverleaf replacement installed in my 2005 Monaco Executive.The install required approx 16 hours. Alot of technical work involved not just plug in modules. The info provided duplicates the Alladin and more. You are right the replacement is costly but I wanted the info provided. Give Dale Kemper at SilverLeaf a call Tom
Tom&Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #7

We all have our own needs. Our coach has defective components that are supposed to provide indications of the various tank levels. I called Silverleaf and the replacement components to repair would cost $4600. That, I feel is a bit steep for what it accomplishes.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

alladin

The Alladin replacement which includes the tank readings,all house electric,engine info etc was only alittle more than that including install
Tom&Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #9

I mispoke Tom. I should have included the fact that the only way I could get the repair components I needed (for tank levels) was to buy the whole thing. I just did not think it was worth it.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Don, Yep, guess I read your post a bit too fast. Sorry about that. George told me you had met. He is an interesting guy.

TexNet, I don't think I said anything about the VMSpc JIB replacing the Alladin. It is entirely different and at the bottom of the price level for products built by Silverleaf. They build lots of equipment all the way up to a complete Glass Dash that is fully electronic. You may have thought I intended that as I misread Don's question.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I mispoke Tom. I should have included the fact that the only way I could get the repair components I needed (for tank levels) was to buy the whole thing. I just did not think it was worth it.

i purchased the tank level sensors for $25 each. Monaco made a mistake of putting the sensors on the base of the tank. The black tank sensor eventually fills up with crude and is bridged off from sensing the fluid head. Sensor should have been on the side wall. The sensor is essentially a pressure transducer.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Don, Yep, guess I read your post a bit too fast. Sorry about that. George told me you had met. He is an interesting guy.

TexNet, I don't think I said anything about the VMSpc JIB replacing the Alladin. It is entirely different and at the bottom of the price level for products built by Silverleaf. They build lots of equipment all the way up to a complete Glass Dash that is fully electronic. You may have thought I intended that as I misread Don's question.
Since you gave such an elaborate description of VMSpc and the JIB I could only think you were referring to it as a replacment

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
We all have our own needs. Our coach has defective components that are supposed to provide indications of the various tank levels. I called Silverleaf and the replacement components to repair would cost $4600. That, I feel is a bit steep for what it accomplishes.
Ross
If your only issue is tank level you might want to look into the SeeLevel systems that has an interface for the Aladdin. I think the cost is around $500 here is a link to the system SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709RP

itdave is offline   Reply With Quote