RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #1

Allison 2500 transmission problem

Evening everyone!*I posted this on the Allison section, but there's lots of smart folks on the Monaco section so I thought I'd post it here as well!

I have an 07 Neptune with a 6 speed Allison 2500 trans and 5.9 litre Cummins ISB. Would like to have anyone's thought that might have some knowledge on Allison transmission. While descending Black Mtn (5% grade for about 4-5 miles) this afternoon about halfway down the trans shifter started beeping and the Check Trans light illuminated on the dash. Of course when this happened we lost the exhaust brake effectiveness. Luckily I was able to keep speed in check and didn't get the brakes very hot. Finally at the bottom took the first option to pull over and off the road. There was a tiny amount of fluid that expelled from the breather and the fluid was a brownish color almost like motor oil but still a reddish tint. Obviously not the bright red that it should be. It did not smell burned and the temp has never been higher than 208*df. Not knowing what else to do I called for a tow. After an ordeal with FMCA roadside assistance (not they're fault but a towing company they deal with) I decided to just try and drive the 10 miles to a service area.

Well we made it to Tom Johnson Camping Center in Marion and we are in the campground awaiting service on Monday. There's definitely an issue with the tranny as it was kinda herky jerky when we eased the 10 miles here. Driving here the RPMs would jump up and down maybe 200 RPM when we had to climb a little hill. My guess would be an issue with the torque converter but I'm by no means an expert on trannies. I would appreciate anyone's expert opinion on what I may be looking at repair wise. Thanks in advance.

onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #2

Unfortunately I don't see any way listed in the manual for the small Allisons about, owners being able to check fault codes .
That would be the first step .
The 200 RPM , fluctuation on hills, could be due to the torque converter lock up not holding .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1000_2000_operators.pdf (1.40 MB, 4 views)

Old 07-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Evening everyone!*I posted this on the Allison section, but there's lots of smart folks on the Monaco section so I thought I'd post it here as well!

I have an 07 Neptune with a 6 speed Allison 2500 trans and 5.9 litre Cummins ISB. Would like to have anyone's thought that might have some knowledge on Allison transmission. While descending Black Mtn (5% grade for about 4-5 miles) this afternoon about halfway down the trans shifter started beeping and the Check Trans light illuminated on the dash. Of course when this happened we lost the exhaust brake effectiveness. Luckily I was able to keep speed in check and didn't get the brakes very hot. Finally at the bottom took the first option to pull over and off the road. There was a tiny amount of fluid that expelled from the breather and the fluid was a brownish color almost like motor oil but still a reddish tint. Obviously not the bright red that it should be. It did not smell burned and the temp has never been higher than 208*df. Not knowing what else to do I called for a tow. After an ordeal with FMCA roadside assistance (not they're fault but a towing company they deal with) I decided to just try and drive the 10 miles to a service area.

Well we made it to Tom Johnson Camping Center in Marion and we are in the campground awaiting service on Monday. There's definitely an issue with the tranny as it was kinda herky jerky when we eased the 10 miles here. Driving here the RPMs would jump up and down maybe 200 RPM when we had to climb a little hill. My guess would be an issue with the torque converter but I'm by no means an expert on trannies. I would appreciate anyone's expert opinion on what I may be looking at repair wise. Thanks in advance.
Chad,

Sorry for your troubles. Is Tom Johnson a certified Allison service center? I would think an Allison service center would be better qualified to troubleshoot your problem. We know that grade on I-40 at Black Mountain well. Would sure hate to go down with an Allison problem. Just the grade is bad enough but when you throw in all the curves it gets your attention fast.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Unfortunately I don't see any way listed in the manual for the small Allisons about, owners being able to check fault codes .
That would be the first step .
The 200 RPM , fluctuation on hills, could be due to the torque converter lock up not holding .
Thanks Skip, yes I checked the manual last night looking for a way to check codes. My Banks IQ is a dash display similar to a Scanguage D and it showed an error from an outside source. I "assume" that it meant it didn't originate from the engine and therefore couldn't read it. I figure that's the signal it sent to the ECM to signal the CHECK TRANS light.

Like you said the torque converter not holding is kinda what I thought why I said torque converter issue. Thanks again!

Chad
Old 07-14-2019, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Chad,

Sorry for your troubles. Is Tom Johnson a certified Allison service center? I would think an Allison service center would be better qualified to troubleshoot your problem. We know that grade on I-40 at Black Mountain well. Would sure hate to go down with an Allison problem. Just the grade is bad enough but when you throw in all the curves it gets your attention fast.

Bob
Bob, yes Tom Johnson is a certified Allison repair. It surprised me as well. I got a number from roadside assistance of another service place near here and called the guy. He was a former Tom Johnson service employee. He said TJ had all the computers and diagnostic equipment to fix any tranny problem. He said the trans guy here has been here for 15 years and was really good. That eased my mind at least a little, I hope he's good!!

Yes sir, Black mountain is not all that steep but the curves will get you. I was just thankful it didn't happen at the top. I would've probably had to hit one of the runaway ramps. Boy that sure wouldn't have been fun. Probably would've needed a dump truck rather than a tow truck to pick up all the pieces of debris.

Chad
Old 07-16-2019, 04:45 AM   #6

Just wanted to give an update, sorry I'm behind in getting the response out. Turns out after some testing and test drive there is no issue with the transmission. Tech concluded moisture got in one of the connectors at the transmission and caused erratic readings to the TCM. Once we sat at the campground for a day and a half it dried out. When the tech came to check it, transmission worked perfect, no warnings no buzzers. I left and drove 110 miles home and the transmission worked flawlessly like it always has. Thanks to all who offered advice and well wishes.

Chad
Old 07-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #7

Thanks for updating your post .

GM trucks with the 1000 series; during the first few years of use; had issues with the moisture getting into the electronics at the side of the transmission , the big issue there was the trans would default to neutral , until the connections were dried out .
Did the mechanic who did the testing offer any potential cure , or indication exactly where the water got in ??
Old 07-17-2019, 04:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Thanks for updating your post .

GM trucks with the 1000 series; during the first few years of use; had issues with the moisture getting into the electronics at the side of the transmission , the big issue there was the trans would default to neutral , until the connections were dried out .
Did the mechanic who did the testing offer any potential cure , or indication exactly where the water got in ??
Skip, the tech was pretty sure the moisture got into one of the connections at the transmission itself. His suggestion (as well as some smart friends I have) was to WD-40 the connection to clean it. Then take some dialectic grease and put in the connector to hopefully keep any future water out of there. A good friend said to definitely do this, cause if it's happened once, it will do it again!!

Thanks Skip for following up!

Chad

Tags
allison, problem, transmission