Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Bet your ignition switch is going out...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
We have the ISC 330 and have an intermittent light that just started.

The alt light does not come on while starting or while getting up to highway speed. It has not started to come on when slowing down to make a stop. It actually was flashing yesterday to the cadence of the turn signal blinker.

The generator was not running and the batteries appear to be fully charged. I'm going to check for lose wires to see if that's it. By the way the dash gauge read nearly 14 volts.

Any suggestions?

SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #17

Check your grounds, Especially your turn signal grounds. Check and see which outside lights are not working or appear dim.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Regarding the alternator not being a battery charger...

Not sure what you mean here. Does that mean the alternator
is only suppling voltage to the Magnum inverter/charger
which in turn charges both banks (chassis and house) of
my batteries?

Mine is a 2006 Diplomat.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Problem solved!!!!!
Put 12 ton (each) jack stands under rear - get out creeper and find that alternator is 3 miles up into engine bay
Into MH and took out the closet floor - there it was, the alternator. All wires tight, nothing looks amiss. What's this? Hmmmm. Black plastic "box" about the size of a cigarette pack except only 1/2" thick and has wires (4) coming from it. It's tied to the wires coming out of the alternator and looks like it comes apart. It does come apart!!!!! And there are two 5 amp fuses inside - AND - one is blown. Send DW to auto parts store (it's her 41st wedding anniversary but she might as well be working if I am) and upon return and insertion of the new fuse - as stated above - PROBLEM SOLVED!
As Monaco electrical diagrams were of no help, I'm gonna guess the 2 fuses were for the "field" voltages. One field will put out 14+ volts but only 1/2 the 160 amps. Coach system would not come on line as the "cold starts" had done a number on the batteries and they were calling for more amps than the alternator was putting out.
BTW - The 12.5 volt reading when alt. charge light was illuminated was battery voltage.
Moral of the story: When Monaco says in their owners manuals that the alternator is not to be considered a battery charger - believe it!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #19
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor9 View Post
I also had my alt light come on after I did an oil change and was connected to power. Once I disconnected from power the light went off. I am not sure why it did this. But no problems since.
The system sensed an over voltage problem and gave you an error.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #20
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Buzkin, the manual suggests for depleted battery banks that the generator or shoreline power be used to charge them since the alternator is really designed to quickly refill the starting batteries and not as a bank charger.

I get a low battery message when I first start my mh and of and on again depending on the OAT. My engine has a pre-heater and it sucks the power.

A picture of the alternator and fuses would be nice. Please take the cover off the engine and get back in there with a camera.
Hmm, wonder how that will work?

I am surprised there were two fuses. What amperage are they? Seems with the blown fuse your alternator just could not keep up with the big load. Your system may bring the two banks of batteries online with a "BIRD" system. It senses a charging voltage high enough to combine both battery banks. If that was happening then the other bank of batteries could have been discharged enough to pull the available voltage low enough to disengage the 'BIRD". Hence, strange symptoms. Glad you found those fuses. This is the first time I have heard of that on this forum.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote