Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #1

Alternator belt and alternator replacement

We have a 2005 Monaco diplomat with rear radiator and it appears I need to change the altenator or and the belts. This looks difficult. Anybody tackle this job??
If so how?
jimloeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #2

Alternator belt and alternator replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimloeh View Post
We have a 2005 Monaco diplomat with rear radiator and it appears I need to change the altenator or and the belts. This looks difficult. Anybody tackle this job??

If so how?

Folks who have similar coaches will respond. I have 2008 with side radiator so it was simple. Do you have one or two belts? Alternator and belt about 1 hours work. Getting to cables on alternator the hardest part.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 08-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #3

Here's what my alternator looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471209320.680970.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	135903

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 08-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not to bad. Can you do your own mechanical work ?

I bought a new alternator from here.

https://www.dwenginecomponents.com/P...ItemClassNo=86

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If it were me i would have the alternator rebuilt saves a lot of problems and a lot cheaper usually and just as good imo.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimloeh View Post
If so how?
Jim,

We have a 2006 Diplomat which should be very similar to your coach. We have never replaced the alternator but did replace the belt last fall. The link below is a post we made looking for advise. If you go down to post #16 you can read my comments after replacing the belt. I discovered a trick that allowed me to replace the belt from underneath the coach without removing any panels in the bedroom.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/help...at-269539.html

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2006 Knight rear radiator - Changed my serpentine belt from the bottom a month ago - would have been easier with another 6 inchs added to my arms but not terrible- but I don't think I would be able to get the alt. out with out taking apart the rear closet and removing the floor.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #8

We have a an '05 HR Endeavor rear radiator that the alternator went out in last year so I changed it out. Did the whole job from underneath, never opened the bedroom trap doors. I found that the alternator had been changed out before and had the wrong unit installed. I ordered the right one, a Delco 28SI with the sensing wire, the wire for charging the house batteries and the 6V wire for the dash signal.

The biggest problem was putting the new one up in place as it was beyond my reach and could only fit one hand up there. Used a rope and tied it around the unit and over the charge air tubeing and pulled it into place. Tied the rope off when in place and started the bolts loosely so the rope would come off. Oh, I forgot the wires, Take them off and put them back on before the alt. is all the way in place. Much easier than when it is tightened down and too close to the engine block to get to.

In any case it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Tags
alternator, replacement, replace, ace