RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Alternator light comes on, then off.

The alternator light came on yesterday. I pulled off the road and put a meter on it. It is charging. It feels warm, but not hot. I'll clean the battery posts today, but they look good and clean from the out side. The belt is not slipping.

Then we continued on the hwy. for another 90 minutes. No warning light. When we arrived at the campground, I turned the engine off. After unhooking the toad and locating a camp site. I started the engine and the warning light came back on again. Any ideas, other than pulling the alternator, taking it in for a bench test?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #2

Did you have the generator running ?

I see that you added solar. It may be why your getting random Alt lights.

When the solar is outputting more voltage then the alternator, and the isolation relay is closed, the higher voltage can fool the alternator regulator into displaying the ALT light.

Next time it comes on, turn on the headlights or heater fan to load down the chassis battery and see if the light goes out.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did you have the generator running at the same time, and when connected to shoreline did you have the engine running.

With the converter being powered at the same time the alternator is charging you can get some issues.

Often just turning on the headlights or the dash fan can put enough load on it to settle things down.

Of course it could be a tired relay but I need more input.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:42 PM   #4

Hi Monaco Wolfy from across the sound here in Auburn. X2 on the posts that Twinboat & YC1 have responded. I get the alt. light to start to flash or come on when all the batteries are fully charged. All I do is reach down and turn on the dash fan speed to a higher setting or turn the parking lights on. It seems the system needs just a small load to make the light go out. Had this same scenario on my previous 2000 Monaco Windsor and the same thing happens on my 01 Windsor. Try putting a load on the alt. and see what happens and let us know how things pan out. Have a great weekend!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:07 AM   #5

I was on top of Snoqualmie Pass when the alternator light came on. I suspected that somehow the solar may have something to do with it. The house batteries were full along with the chassis batteries. I was running without headlights , but have the air conditioning on. So I disconnected the house batteries by turning the cutoff switch to off. Then I ran with the headlights on and no warning light. I drove another hour and a half without any warning light . After turning engine off for approximately 30 minutes, I restarted it and the warning light was back on again. We will be leaving this campground on the Columbia River Monday. I'll put a load on it, disconnect the house batteries and see how it goes. Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully that's all it is. This was the first trip since installing 1900 watts of solar. I'll let you know what happens Monday or Tuesday. Thanks again
Old 09-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
YC1

Great info. I used to play "20 questions" with my customers.

I would ask them lots of questions and at some point they would give me just the smallest detail that would help me troubleshoot their weird electrical problem..

Your addition of the solar is most likely contributing to the issue.

I have never heard of it causing any damage other than an annoyance.

What happens is the additional charging source seems to confuse the monaco setup.

Many RV's are set up to isolate the battery banks if the generator and the engine are running at the same time. This keeps the converter/charger from conflicting with the alternator.

The system does not isolate the battery banks when on shoreline so you can get the conflict if you start the engine while connected to shoreline.

With the addition of the solar you have a charge source that becomes the conflicting power.

Turning on some loads can help but if you have that much solar you may need multiple loads.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had a problem with the alt light coming and off. Ending up being the relay for the alt light. If your relay is bad you definitely need a 6V replacement. I found mine on Amazon:

TE Connectivity/Potter & Brumfield -1432873-1, Automotive Relay, SPDT, 6V, 40A, $9.66
Busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #8

Well, we decided to stay here on the Columbia River until Saturday. I plan to switch off the solar while driving and see if the alternator light stays off during our 3 hour trip. I'll let you know how it turns out. If that's the answer, then I'll have to look into an isolator.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #9

We hit the road again yesterday with all batteries at 100%. We didn't even make it 50 feet and the alternator light came on. I stopped and turn the current off from the solar panels. The alternator light went off and stayed off until we reach our destination. It appears that the solar panel input causes the alternator light to come on when the batteries are full. The light is not so bad, but the alarm will drive you crazy!
Old 09-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #10

Alternator regulators are dumb. If they sense more voltage on the battery lead then they are making, they think they are not working. They turn on the light.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #11
YC1

So it is apparent that your solar is either tied to the engine batteries by choice or by electrical devices in your rv.

In my case, my solar regulator allows me to feed both batteries at the same time.

In your case, you could have an after market device designed to combine the battery banks, or some modification made by a previous owner.

It would have been interesting to turn on your headlights and dash AC fan to see if the alarm subsided. The load can sometimes be enough to calm things down.

Your batteries were full from the overnight charge so their voltage was at a peak. They did not need anything more than a maintenance charge from the Alternator. The voltage from the solar just confused the alarm system for the alternator.

The same situation can occur with the generator running. Any charging source other than the alternator while the engine is running can cause the issue.

This is why many rv's have a circuit that will actually disable the battery combining when the alternator is running and the generator is powering the converter/inverter.

If someone has a drawing of the battery combing system for your model it would be nice to look at.

If it bugs you a simple work around could be to have the solar disabled when the ignition key is turned. That would be simple enough but take several hours to run wires and install a relay. This would not solve the issue when the generator is running though.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:22 PM   #12

Happened to me today for the first time ever. Fired the gen out here in the desert to run the acs. I had put a switch in to shut the big boy off so I did so. Still took awhile of it occasionally buzzing and lighting up for it to completely subside. Seemed to be at 14.2 volts is where the trouble started. Solar was probably trying to still top them off. I did have the dash air on hi for a load.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #13

Your correct! 14.2 volts is the magic number when the light comes on. My Windsor charges the chassis batteries while plugged into a post. No add on, it came that way from Monaco. For now, until I come up with a solution, I just turn off the solar coming in from the roof when driving. That requires me to open a basement door to access the solar main shut off switch. Not a big deal. Not exactly what I want to do every time I travel, but will work for now.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #14

This is my fused shut off safety switch. 
Name:   safety switch.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  3.8 KB

Tags
alternator, light