Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #1

Alternator not charging first few minutes running

2000 Diplomat 8.3L Lee Neville Model A0012824LC 160 amp sale #2824LC tag info on alt.

Does any one have a wiring diagram for the alternator circuit? one terminal leads to a relay that turns the dash lamp out. Where is this relay?

It has been working fine after start up. charging 14 Volts after start up. now it's like it has a timer.

Does IRV2 have a keeper of the keys as some one that keeps files of the wiring diagrams?

Thanks for your help Lloyd T
Lloyd T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 02:44 AM   #2

If the weather is colder, you may have intake air heaters kicking in on cold starts.

The will run for a time, drawing over 100 amps, until the engine warms a bit.

Its common for a low voltage light to be on, at idle, right after startup.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:35 AM   #3
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If the weather is colder, you may have intake air heaters kicking in on cold starts.

They will run for a time, drawing over 100 amps, until the engine warms a bit.

Its common for a low voltage light to be on, at idle, right after startup.

What he says. Ditto.

If I am connected to shoreline I can get an Alt fail light with the engine running. Turning on headlights cures that.

Post 9 for files about the alternator and regulator.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/poss...em-420315.html

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

Some alternators require the engine to be revved up a bit before the alternator will start charging.This is especially noticeable on a cold engine which idles slightly slower when started. Once it starts charging, it will work at low RPM. This is just a characteristic of the alternator/voltage regulator .
Old 11-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #5

You may need a chassis service manual to become familiar with the factories theory and operation of the charging system before you find yourself chasing a ghost.

As stated by others in many cases on a diesel engine when they are started up in cold weather things such as intake air heaters or glow plugs are turned to assist cold startup and are drawing extreme electrical loads and most run for a few minutes even after startup. Due to the extreme electrical loads while switched on when cold some systems exceed 150amps+ In this cold start mode the calibration engineers programming does not allow the alternator to start charging until those extreme electrical loads are switched off.

A similar type of alternator protection strategy is used in the BIRD management system on many coaches to help protect the alternator from possibly have to charge ALL the LOW batteries in the coach both house and chassis at the same time, so in the event that may happen, it shuts down the alternator charge to the house batteries until the chassis batteries are up to a specific voltage for a specific period of time, then starts charging all the batteries.

Happy Hunting
Old 11-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
You may need a chassis service manual to become familiar with the factories theory and operation of the charging system before you find yourself chasing a ghost.

As stated by others in many cases on a diesel engine when they are started up in cold weather things such as intake air heaters or glow plugs are turned to assist cold startup and are drawing extreme electrical loads and most run for a few minutes even after startup. Due to the extreme electrical loads while switched on when cold [ some systems exceed 150amps+ current draw] while in this cold start mode the calibration engineers programming does not allow the alternator to start charging until those extreme electrical loads are switched off.

A similar type of alternator protection strategy is used in the BIRD management system on many coaches to help protect the alternator from possibly have to charge ALL the LOW charge batteries in the coach both house and chassis at the same time, so in the event this may happen, it directs the alternator charge to only charge the house batteries until the chassis batteries are up to a specifically designated voltage for a specific period of time, then comes online and starts charging all the batteries both house and chassis.

Happy Hunting
Edited
Old 11-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #7

Hi Lloyd; Same with my 01 Windsor with the same alternator. If the batteries are fully charged, after starting coach and leaving at an idle, my Silver Leaf monitor shows 13.5V. If I stay at idle, it is about 60 seconds and the read out on the monitor jumps to 14.1V. If I load the 12V system, turning on dash blower or headlights, the voltage will jump right up to 14.1V. The only thing I can come up with is that when the batteries are fully charged, the voltage regulator senses that no charge is needed. System works great and handles any load I put on the alternator. Beyond that, I don't know if this is the way the system works or not. Sound like yours changed. Why, I can't say. Hope someone here has more info for you. Just thought I would let you know what my experience has been.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #8

Thanks

I think that the intake heater is the cause. I did not think about the fact that they turn on and off while warming up the first few minutes. The high amp draw would be the cause. I'll check it closer when I start it in a few days. Thanks for all the help. Lloyd T
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #9

My alternator has not been working the last three times starting when it was freezing.
No tach either. After it ran for 5 minutes or so the alternator came on. As I ski I have
been starting up in freezing weather for years and I never had this problem before.
So I guess I need freezing weather to trouble shoot this problem. I always speed up
the engine to 1000 RPM as soon as I have oil pressure.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #10

A wiring diagram would help. I started my rig yesterday and the alternator was working
as it should but it was above freezing. I will be starting it again below freezing this week
so hopefully I can figger it out.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #11

Belt slipping, check it.

Water pump frozen. Check antifreeze.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Check your grounds, especially the main one.

Look for corrosion at your alt. Connections.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, charging