Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #1

New to this forum! As stated, presently own a H/D Savoy 5thwheel that the wife and I have enjoyed(our 1st R/V). We are seriously considering a Class A diesel pusher motor home. I like the Holiday Rambler, the wife is concerned about the quality and likes other manufactures. I have found an 06 Ambassador 40PLQ that is still on the lot(new).
My question: Why is this unit still on the lot? Is there something I don't know about this particular model or year that everyone else knows? Am I missing something? Is there any major defects in this model/year? Also, is the 330hp enough vs. 400hp on the 08 Endevor?
Thanks, Louis
grazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #2

New to this forum! As stated, presently own a H/D Savoy 5thwheel that the wife and I have enjoyed(our 1st R/V). We are seriously considering a Class A diesel pusher motor home. I like the Holiday Rambler, the wife is concerned about the quality and likes other manufactures. I have found an 06 Ambassador 40PLQ that is still on the lot(new).
My question: Why is this unit still on the lot? Is there something I don't know about this particular model or year that everyone else knows? Am I missing something? Is there any major defects in this model/year? Also, is the 330hp enough vs. 400hp on the 08 Endevor?
Thanks, Louis
grazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #3

Welcome to IRV2.com... lotsa swell folks here and a nice troll too! It's a great respository for technical data and discussion.

I have a 2007 Endeavor with no real problems. As far as whether they are they any good, well, you know what they say about opinions and how they correlate to the human anatomy.

My only concern, short of why it's still on their lot after 2 model years, would be whether they treated the fuel in the tank. It doesn't take too long for diesel fuel to turn bad and grow things you don't want growing in your tank. And if they started it with yuk in the tank, that could lead to fuel system issues later on.

Save the fuel concerns, you really can't go wrong with ANY Monaco product!
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Grazer, welcome to iRV2.

Any brand of MH that has sat that long could have fuel, oil, battery, generator, tire, etc issues.

It is not good for those items to sit and not be used.

A purchase should include an extra close inspection because of the non use.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #5

Grazer, its not as uncommon as you think ,to see 06's still on the lot. many times MOHo are bought from other dealers who have gone under . i was down in Yuma a few weeks ago and saw new 05 septers on a dealer lot. Monaco is a good company and will treat you fair.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
GRAZER, I bought a 2006 on July 1, so far Monaco has stood behind it better than any of the companies of my other units, this is unit #6. Just watch the fuel issue, and be aware that tire life is only 6 years, used or not.

03 Saturn L2
abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #7

grazer,
Fist of all welcome to the Monaco owner's forum.
When we bought our 2004 Ambassador 38 PDQ it had sat on the lot a little over a year. We bought it in the fall of 2005. Since that time we have put 24000 miles on it with a combination of both short trips of a 100 miles or less and longer trips from 600 miles to the Gulf coast and 3400 miles out West and back. That includes crossing the Rockies twice. We have the Cummins ISC 330 engine and tow a jeep liberty that weights approx. 4100 lbs.Will the mountain grades get you down in speed? Yes they will but they will with any motorhome no matter what size engine. I would say for example that on some of the steepest non-interstate highways the slowest we climbed at was around 40 mph and only ususally because we had to slow for other traffic. I'm usually not racing up the hill because I know I have to go down the other side.
I couldn't say why its still on the lot. We asked ourselves that at first but then came to realize that it was a blessing for us. One of those right time at the right place things.
AS far as MOnaco products. I believe they build some of the finest motorhomes and the 24/7 tech support by phone is just that. I have never not been able to talk to someone when I needed.
Hope this helps you a little. Good luck with your decision.
Letsgoagain
Old 02-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the site grazer!

I have an '06 Knight PLQ, which is a brother to your coach. Same thing, different nameplate. In my very humble opinion, the PLQ is the coolest floorplan. Ever. We have actually been looking for a new coach lately to upgrade, and have walked through hundreds (or at least if feels that way), but have yet to find anything as useful to us as the PLQ. I have scoured the web looking for a Camelot or Scepter 42PLQ with not much luck

What makes is so great for us is that we practically live in the rear part of the coach. I work during the day, and my office is set up in the rear portion. At night, my lovely co-pilot joins me for some TV or Wii Can't tell you the last time we watched TV our front. Very cozy back here, temperature stays very constant, and I have everything I need.

Our '06 sat on the lot for almost a year before it found us. I think the PLQ is a very special floorplan, that maybe does not appeal to the masses. In fact, they discontinued it in '08, much to my dismay.

I would work a full service into the deal. I am sure they have probably taken it out to shows, or other lots or something, and it probably has a couple thousand miles on it by now. Tell them they should do the one year service on it at least. The only real problem we have had with our was with the two A/C units. I think they take them out to shows - or on the lot - and run the A/C, then shut off the power without letting them shut down gracefully. We had the two replaced within the first year, and the new two have performed perfectly.

It has been a great coach. Even walking through the 1/2 million dollar coaches, we always walk out saying that our PLQ beats them all. Monaco has been great, the 330 ISC has been all we have needed for a loaded rig and a 4-door Wrangler.

I guess you can call us happy with ours

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote