RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #1

And one repair leads to another and another and

I am grateful for my brother who is capable of rebuilding his semi on the side of a road. Really I am because he fixes stuff on the Dynasty. But this past week has been crazy
Brought it over to his big garage, put it up on jacks so that we could get the undercoating all cleaned up and replaced. That lead to:

Opening all the panels, which lead to:

discovering that the shelf the water heater sits on was broken and it was only supported on the back side. This lead to:

Having to remove a shroud that, in Monaco in its infinite wisdom, had been attached to the panel then painted and clear coated over. That resulted in some paint that was bubbling coming off.
Sand and prime..good thing Hubby is good at that.

While we are at it we discovered that the support box on the back of a large bay door was coming loose. That's ok we needed to replace a lock anyway. No wait the lock we bought and have been carting around for a year isn't the right one..Now find a place to get the right one with out spending $75. Done should arrive today. All of those led to:

trying to get the paint...which can only be bought from BASF in base coat....and we need 2 colors so we can also paint over the new rivets for the baggage panel. Oh and it pearl metallic...gotta spray the big spot or it won't look right and the minimum amt. is 1/2 pint at $30 each color.

In the midst of this, as brother dearest is crawling around under the rig to inspect the undercarriage work, he discovers that the rear output seal on the tranny is "seeping" just a little. "Better fix that now so your not stranded someplace" he says..easy 2 hour job he tells me.. well it was easy to get off only to discover that the yoke is scored. Okay just go get a speedy sleeve to cover that..oh wait it now Sat and we have to wait until Monday. Does the business have this sleeve??? Nope 2 days to get it.

So here we sit a week later, in one of his bays in his big hobby garage, in the middle of an old industrial park. Yep we have some power. no we don't have any other hookups

But yes I truly am happy the guy can do this for us...Yea really I am

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
And non-full-timers think THEY have all the fun!

RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

Linda,

Sounds like MH ownership. I assume that it will cost $2,000 a year to maintain the coach if I don't use it. More I use it, more the cost goes up. Assumes I can do a lot of the work myself.

It doesn't get better.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 5 weeks (the time it took Cummins) we spent $22,000 on the engine and still have new tires ($6,000) and 4 8D AGM house batteries ($2,000) to go along with a foggy window ($500) to replace, get the autogen start working and the Smartwheel for the windshield wipers. Already did the starting batteries (only $384 for the four 925 CCA)

Then we find out the DW has liver cancer to boot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #5

I'm really just nattering and am glad we haven't haven't had major issues. Last time we were here for annual maintenance (even did the rear end ) we left it with him to visit our son. When we returned he was cutting holes in the side. He didn't think we had enough side lights. He changed all the running lights out to LED penny. He just itching to run a line up either side of the back.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In 5 weeks (the time it took Cummins) we spent $22,000 on the engine and still have new tires ($6,000) and 4 8D AGM house batteries ($2,000) to go along with a foggy window ($500) to replace, get the autogen start working and the Smartwheel for the windshield wipers. Already did the starting batteries (only $384 for the four 925 CCA)

Then we find out the DW has liver cancer to boot.
I know your roads been hard. Healing pray to your wife.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We were pretty lucky the first 4 years we had the coach, minimal problems, probably the most $$ was having to replace the water heater.

2 years ago we had to replace the generator and then just before a trip the ECM of the transmission crashed, those 2 repairs were +10K.

Last year was a better year, probably spent $1000 on stuff, the most expensive was having to replace the control board for the Intellitec EMS system. Also had to replace one of the AC blower motors, was to $$ and a lot cheaper then a new unit.

This year had to replace the radiator, something came up off the road and hit it multiple times. Fortunately most of the cost was covered by insurance the cost was ~+$7K.

As I had said in a previous post

Owning a higher end motor home isn't for the faint of heart or lite of pocket book!!

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair