Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Another battery question

Just replaced my old coach batterys with 4 Trojan T105's 230 hr batterys. I have a Heart Freedom 1500 inverter. on float charge they read 13.5 when unplugged from shore power they go to12.5 turn on the TV and cable box within 5 min. they go to 12.2. For the first hour on my inverter panel battery state stays green the second hour to yellow and the third hour to red. The DC graph will flash between 12 volts {green} to 11.5 {red} the volt meter never goes below 12.2 even though both graphs are in the red. Thought there was a battery problem replaced all batterys again same problem. My question is do I have a problem or not seems like I could watch TV a lot longer in the past
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
With the 4 T105's I believe you have over 400 amp hours of storage. I have different batteries but the same amount of storage.

Here are some of my devices and the draw per hour. You should be able to use 200 amp hours (at least) without recharging.

24 inch tv/ powered ant. 2.5 amps
CPAP 2 amps
furnace 9 amps (when blower is on)
coffee maker 80 amps ( about 10 for one pot )
lights .5 - 3.5 amps

Many on this forum (myself included) would not leave home without a meter such as the Trimetric 2025.

I highly recommend you read Bob's blog on RV solar. Even if you don't have solar the part about batteries and charging and the install can be very helpful.
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #3

Yup--420 DC amps hours sounds right so about half are available on a recurring basis.....Dont forget to convert from 12v DC storage amps to 120v AC usage amps for 120v appliances.....also note that your inverter isnt 100% efficient so you lose some DC amps just to make the inverter hum......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
YC1

Start at the batteries with a voltmeter. It does not take much of a poor connection to drop the voltage at the inverter. Work your way to the input of the inverter and compare.
Make sure your grounds are cleaned and tightened. Take them off and use a dremel with a sanding disk or wire brush on a drill. Once things are tight shoot some paint over it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #5

2 things, do you have a seperate charger/converter running off the inverter? That will run done batteries fast.

Do you have at least 4 gauge wires, less then 4 feet from the inverter? Longer runs need larger wires
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #6

Still thinking, if you have a 2 way refrig., make sure it is on gas. My refrig. draws 350 watts on AC.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also check all connections, A dirty connection can make your display show as much as a volt lower than the batteries.

Unplugging they should go to 12.6 quickly, that extra 0.1 volt may indicate a dirty connection.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #8

REMEMBER - When you look at the 110VAC amps on the nameplate of any device, you will be very close if you multiply that by 10 to get the DC amps that the battery will have to deliver. So that 2.5 amp television will draw roughly 25 amps from the battery. Also, a healthy battery designed to deliver 400 amp-hours will probably be able to do that if the load on the battery bank is very small, like perhaps an amp or two. But if you pull 25 or 50 amps out of it, it won't delivery anywhere near 400 amp-hours.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
REMEMBER - So that 2.5 amp television will draw roughly 25 amps from the battery.
Watts is watts. New 55 inch tv's are under 70 watts unless the speakers are really amplified.

70 watts at 12 volts = 5.8 amps

70 watts at 120 volts = .58 amps

300 watts at 12 volts = 25 amps

My experience is you would have to have the furnace, tv, several lights and lots of computers to get even close to 25 amps from the batteries. I can't believe all RV's don't have some type of shunt/monitor just so the owner can see what's happening.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery