Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2008, 06:08 AM   #1

My 2006 Knight, eleven months out of warranty, last week suffered the dreaded "Monaco stress-cracked one piece windshield" syndrome. My dealer and I have requested that Monaco cover this repair, given the known problems with the design. Monaco has refused.

Has anyone with a model year 2006, out-of-warranty Knight had a windshield replaced at Monaco's expense? Your input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2007 Tahoe
JCSinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:08 AM   #2

My 2006 Knight, eleven months out of warranty, last week suffered the dreaded "Monaco stress-cracked one piece windshield" syndrome. My dealer and I have requested that Monaco cover this repair, given the known problems with the design. Monaco has refused.

Has anyone with a model year 2006, out-of-warranty Knight had a windshield replaced at Monaco's expense? Your input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2007 Tahoe
Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My 2006 Knight, eleven months out of warranty, last week suffered the dreaded "Monaco stress- cracked one piece windshield" syndrome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow, sorry JCSinks, yes we do have the exact same model. We have a 2006 Monaco 40/PLQ quad slides. Lost our front windshield with a (upper driver's side large crack), sorry our 1st stress cracked front windshield was replaced under warranty. Took two weeks to get it replaced. I'm just waiting for the next front crack to occur, we plan to file with State Farm.
Before long, all Monaco coaches might be back to split front windshield glass.
My view, just to much frontal glass stress/pressure in that area, especially with that 80 pound overhead TV banging around at every bump in the road and those factory installed monroe shocks that go toast at or around 10,000 miles/which is about the same estimated mileage your one year warranty goes toast? There might be a design limit default pattern here. Stay tuned.
I wonder exactly how many single windshields from Monaco brands have cracked and been replaced. Bet we'll never know. DocUSAF
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We had our second windshield replaced when in Harrisburg 2 months ago. Since it wasn't a warranty issue we did it through the ins co, GMAC. They use Duncan Systems as their glass adjusters. There is a separate path for claims when all you're doing is replacing glass. Duncan Systems sent us to Coach Glass in Eugene which is also A-1 Glass. The windshield they put in was branded as "Coach Glass". If one glass replacment co out there has enough business from one mfgr to have their own brand windshield I'd suspect the answer to your question of how many windshields are being replaced is pretty obvious!!!
More mfgrs have gone to the "bugeye" one piece windshield. My concern is that at $3000 a pop less deductable, how many are they gonna give you before they cancel your policy or run the rates up to a really painful level.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
JC,
Sorry to hear about your windshield cracking. What were the circumstances? We have an '06 endeavor. So far not cracks but a few seal displacements and one resetting. Maybe the windshield displacing the seal has kept it from cracking.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 AM   #6

Sixpack98,

I had my Knight up on the jacks for three days. I got up the next morning and the cracks were there in the upper roadside corner.
My intent for this original post was to see if any 2006 Knight owner has had his windshield replaced at Monaco's expense on an out-of-warranty coach. Monaco has refused to cover my windshield since my Knight is almost one year out of warranty. Also, apparently Monaco feels that the Knight is not prone to this problem as much as some other models.
Yeah, I can pay myself or turn it over to my insurance company, but I feel it is Monaco's problem, given all of the one piece windshield problems. I read on this forum that Monaco replaced Flyer's out-of-warranty windshield on his 2006 Endeavor.

2007 Tahoe
Old 07-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Originally posted by Corvette Man:
Look at the windshield very carefully at the btm and top of the crack. It may be caused from a chip along the crack or at the top or btm. If this is the case it is not structural. Once a chip has little vents in it , it will break sometime. The chip does not have to be very large for this to happen. That is why fixing a cip quickly is important. Monaco does have some problems with windshields as do all large glass windshields, even those that cover half the front. You are looking at 1.8 - 2.7mm glass which is very thin laminated together. Hope this helps.
How do I know, 39 years in the glass business.
JCSinks, there is another thread regarding cracked windshield under Monaco forum a few threads up.. Might want to check it out Ok... Did you level using the auto level/instead of manual mode?. Do you have worn out monroe shocks or(over 10,000 miles)?. DocUSAF
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #8

Doc,

Thanks for the input. I did auto-level, the same I have been doing for almost two years now. The coach has 9400 miles on it and I have not noticed any changes in the ride or handling. I washed the windshield after I leveled to remove the bugs from the trip. I did not see any chips. JCSinks.

2007 Tahoe
Old 01-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #9

how about 4 passenger side of the split windshields in 5 years, from the same spot in each case. 10 days after # 3 was installed, was using computer at table and then there was a PING pulled back curtain and there in same place was a 60 degree crack as all before did. Coach had not been moved other than the heat of the sun warming up the coach. Well was there a rough spot in fiberglass frame creating a stress point but when they came to replace out lifted rubber gasket and couldn't find a bur. When to factory to get 3 slides rubber seal replaced told them about breaking glass and found a broken T brace in front cap that was allowing too much lateral movement?? so when broke? I think on delivery ride from Indiana to Cal where orginally sold but ?? not orginal owner. I would have metal around cap checked.
john laffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
A former coach was a 2007 Monaco that went through three windshields and the suspension problems with no help from Monaco. In fact the windshield was cracked and ready to fall out when the dealer took it back. The coach looked nice but it was scary to drive it with the cab swaying back and forth and the windshield coming loose at the top. We are very happy with our present coach. Joe
Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I'm really saddened that you folks are going through this. Although it's not state of the art...I'm glad our '01 Endeavor has split windshields. No problems yet....but we're keeping our fingers crossed.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #12

In 2001 only 2% of Motor Homes built were with 1 piece windshields. Today, it is 40% and increasing. I believe the industry would better serve their customers by going back to 2 piece windshields. The RV industry is like most, I guess, having a selling feature and keeping up with competition is important. The insurance industry is looking into the high cost of 1 piece windshields compaired tio 2 piece. To ship a 1 piece windshield can be $300-$500 in freight cost. The only thing I can say good about 1 piece windshields is..............can't think of any,
duncan1
duncan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #13

The Monaco Coach Corp that was the manufacturer of your coach no longer exists by way of a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Monaco RV LLC which is owned by Navistar purchased certain assets of the old Monaco and is now building motorhomes. The new Monaco RV is not related legally to the old Monaco and no warranty obligations of the old Monaco are recognized by the new Monaco.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The Monaco Coach Corp that was the manufacturer of your coach no longer exists by way of a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Monaco RV LLC which is owned by Navistar purchased certain assets of the old Monaco and is now building motorhomes. The new Monaco RV is not related legally to the old Monaco and no warranty obligations of the old Monaco are recognized by the new Monaco.

The OP was 2 and half years ago. At that time it was the old Monaco