Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #1

We had a leak fixed awhile ago, was the strip between the side and roof that needed to be resealed. Well, after a particularly heavy rain here in the Northwest, we found another wet spot. It wasn't next to the wall but almost right in the middle of the drivers foot area. Took it back to Ollinger travel homes in Troutdale. The sharp technicians there pulled the carpet back in that area and found a gap in our floor! They could look right through to the ground! They sealed that all up, water was finding a way up to that spot and wicking through the carpet, hopefully. We will see if that is it but our leaking problem seems to have been a combination of condensation, unsealed molding strip, and a gap in the floor under the carpet.I highly recommend Ollinger Trave Homes service department, they are very patient and helpful. Happy trails,
Joanne and Kerry
jokers99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #2

We had a leak fixed awhile ago, was the strip between the side and roof that needed to be resealed. Well, after a particularly heavy rain here in the Northwest, we found another wet spot. It wasn't next to the wall but almost right in the middle of the drivers foot area. Took it back to Ollinger travel homes in Troutdale. The sharp technicians there pulled the carpet back in that area and found a gap in our floor! They could look right through to the ground! They sealed that all up, water was finding a way up to that spot and wicking through the carpet, hopefully. We will see if that is it but our leaking problem seems to have been a combination of condensation, unsealed molding strip, and a gap in the floor under the carpet.I highly recommend Ollinger Trave Homes service department, they are very patient and helpful. Happy trails,
Joanne and Kerry
Old 02-05-2008, 03:15 AM   #3

Stay with it and try to stay dry. I find it absolutely fascinating that water intrusion problems can't be conquered in the build process.

With all the technology and new materials available we are still fighting leaks as if it was 1968.[I only say '68 'cause that's my first leak in a TT]

So much for the pressurization method. My Admiral passed that with flying colors and still leaks. The "rain room" at HR said I was good to go, but the first wash job killed that theory.

Good Luck and try to be current with your paper trail.
BobFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Joker,

Interesting post. A few days ago, we pulled up our driver side floor mat to find that the carpet beneath it was completely soaked. We had been stationary for one month but have had lots of rain. Were you driving when your drivers side floor got wet? We will mention your info when we have the leak fixed later this month. We also have another leak where water is dripping off the cabinets and overhead TV on to the dash that has to be resolved. Had it checked by dealership twice and factory once. It passed the rain machine test, but still leaks. I'm a bit worried about having a different dealership look at that leak because they indicated that they were going to really have to tear things apart to find it. We're thinking maybe we'll just wait and take it to factory later in year. Problem with that is that it is hard to find comvered storage when we are not using MH.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #5

We had been stationary for two weeks prior to the latest wet spot. But, we had noticed on a previous trip that the floor around the drivers area was soaked, had been raining the entire way to Fife to get the other leaks fixed, never realized that there would be a gap in the flooring(approx 1/2" wide x 2' long). We are full-timers so our problem with water on the dash was due to condensation in the cap area. The tv was removed and the cap area dried out. With installation of vent covers and keeping windows cracked open the problem has been solved, we hope. Your problem may also be due to condensation. Good luck finding your problem.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our 04 HR Imperial had a leak in the front cap that had water running out of the bottom of the tv cabinet onto the dash. It took two tries to fix it. It was one of the marker lites above the windshield that wasn't sealed properly, the gasket wasn't installed during initial assembly.

Ron
Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The sharp technicians there pulled the carpet back in that area and found a gap in our floor! They could look right through to the ground! They sealed that all up, water was finding a way up to that spot and wicking through the carpet, hopefully. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is really interesting since the floors in these rigs are supposed to have a full length sheet of Darco, (a commercial grade rubber sheeting), then a layer of Luan sheeting, then the 1.5" framing filled with dense styrofoam and then the layer of structurewood. How you got a rectangular opening all the way through this floor would be quite a mystery!! You wouldn't think that could happen as none of the joints should line up ...Did you actually see this opening or is this what they told you they found?? I would be suspicious of this explanation if it was me..
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #8

It shocked us as well, never would think with all the composite flooring that there would be a gap. We were taken into the shop and shown where the problem area was and how it was being fixed. Area was between two angle iron braces located under the drivers floorboard. My only idea is the floorboard split during initial installation, once the carpet was installed, the problem would be covered. It would not be uncommon for osb (luan/plywood) to split or warp. This is not the first time we have found items that should have been caught during QC at the factory.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #9

After 6 yrs of leaking/repairing by dealer,sub-contractor,Monaco[Wildwood]and HR at the Indiana facility, I have no reason to doubt whatever Ollinger may have relayed to jokers99.

If these units were always built as the brochures say, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
BobFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We'll see what happens at our appointment on the 22nd and keep you all informed.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to find covered storage in San antonio. No luck, so I hope they do fix it.

GW
Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #11

It does not take much of a hole in any seal to leak. I had a pin hole in a silicon seal at the rail joining the roof/wall. It followed the white foam beading down to the opening in the lower cabinet. Took a week to finish leaking. I always check all silicon strips for any darking areas. My friend had his Imperial leak that way and rotted all the luan(?) on the outside at the drivers door.

07 Trailbazer HRRVC-Webmaster
discfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Jokers99 mentioned "QC". While taking the factory tour I asked about "QC" and after a few dozen words divined that there is very little or no QC. Our MH was actually missing parts and had "repaired" parts which leads me to believe that the "QC inspector" is the customer.

Ron
Old 02-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #13

I agree with Pusherpilot. You really have to look out for yourself with these things. The dealer is funny, we said we thought the leak might be coming from the windshield so on the paperwork they put down "windshield not correctly sealed at factory and resealed." That wasn't the problem at all. We had several things like that. Finding a good service center and this forum are very helpful.