Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2018, 05:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Another "What Is This?"

Was looking for the diagnostic connector on our new '08 Camelot for my VMSpc, and found this panel. It's under the dash just above the driver left foot, and seems OEM and not just a PO add-on. I'm good on the big connector itself, but curious about the other stuff.

The black/red rocker switch isn't connected to anything, and that may be what the 2 white wires/tabs are for.

The black push-switch is connected however, but I don't know what it does. I found a drawing of the panel in the OM (page 207 on mine) in the Diagnostics section, but no information about it. The manual also talks about having two plugs, but I only have the one up-front (and another one right-rear of coach).

I'm a big fan of 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' so I haven't gone any further.

Any ideas what they are for, or why I only have the one connector?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2383.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	194488  
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well that is a monnting bracket for assorted connectors and/or switches, You say the switch is N/C (not connected) so it's a "Spare". Looks like your coach has a bunch of options. Different radios perhapsd and other systems, that's where they would plug in if you had 'em.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The left hole is where the gray transmission diagnostic connector goes, at least on my coach this is the case. The black button is for retrieving engine diagnostic codes. Don’t know what the switch is for.

What is printed on the two white wires you mentioned?

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

Same as mine, best I have figured. They delete it. I thought PO cut the wires on mine but all ended up being trailer brake stuff.
Harry had me look Happycarz had me look under shifter area for one no bueno. Your coach a late build just wondering.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
So, if I don't have the gray tranny connector, does that mean I can't get tranny info or is it combined with the other connector now? (Most of the date stamps/tags I've found in-and-around the coach seem to point towards an actual mid-summer '07 build, if that helps nail down anything about the connectors).

When I asked SilverLeaf earlier this week about getting a 9-pin vs 6-pin connector as from my old Endeavor, he said I had to buy a whole new VMSpc box because some of the protocol had changed. Wonder if that includes tranny info?

And, if I push that button where/how do I get my diagnostic readout?
Old 03-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

Rusty been working on it, I’ll let you know what I find same if you do. I have a connector back at tranny, has a cover cap over plug.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
'K. Thanks, Perry.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
On mine the push button is marked as the "ABS Button".

The owners manual states:
"ABS Diagnostic Button: By properly actuating the ABS diagnostic button (located under the dash to the left of the steering wheel), system configuration codes and fault codes can be retrieved as blinked sequences on the ABS warning light. System configuration codes are sequences of six blinked digits while fault codes are sequences of two blinked digits. Refer to an authorized Bendix service center for a list of blink code sequences. If the Diagnostic button is not pressed correctly for a specific readout, stop and start over at the beginning of the procedure."
Old 03-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #9

I was remembering something like that in the manual. Reading now, also have all the electrical prints out investigating. Let ya know.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #10

Nothing like it on my Exec.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Rusty, the coach has a J1939 bus that runs front to rear. The ECM, TCM, trans shifter, Aladdin/Medalion, diagnostic ports, and others are all connected to this bus. Any unused ports are terminated with a resistor cap.

So, your VMSpc will give you all the information on that bus. No worries.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Rusty, the coach has a J1939 bus that runs front to rear. The ECM, TCM, trans shifter, Aladdin/Medalion, diagnostic ports, and others are all connected to this bus. Any unused ports are terminated with a resistor cap.

So, your VMSpc will give you all the information on that bus. No worries.

Rusty, I remember now Harry and I exchanged text over this same issue. Looking at ABS System drawing it shows J1939 which should be a green/yellow wires. It shows the ABS Diagnostics switch we both have, but coming off the firewall harness. No light, unless it’s the one located in the front run bay off VCJ. Need to look tomorrow again.
I did pull all of that harness up towards the over dash hatch so I could see wires, labeling. A few say TCU and few are label ECU, could it be combined?
I mentioned to Harry the end of the back bone is under my trans console.
If you look back further on the backbone harness you’ll see a resistor on the blank not used connectors. So poor the drawing the TCM is connected down the back bone and only shows one data cannon plug under dash, and in rear run bay. Heres the drawing; now to find the TCM connection! Rusty let me know if you find it first! Hope this helps answer your question! I added another PDF that might help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 08 Cam Scep J1939 Backbone.pdf (97.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf 08 Plant 17 Chassis Harness Interconnect.pdf (92.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Was looking for the diagnostic connector on our new '08 Camelot for my VMSpc, and found this panel. It's under the dash just above the driver left foot, and seems OEM and not just a PO add-on. I'm good on the big connector itself, but curious about the other stuff.

The black/red rocker switch isn't connected to anything, and that may be what the 2 white wires/tabs are for.

The black push-switch is connected however, but I don't know what it does. I found a drawing of the panel in the OM (page 207 on mine) in the Diagnostics section, but no information about it. The manual also talks about having two plugs, but I only have the one up-front (and another one right-rear of coach).

I'm a big fan of 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' so I haven't gone any further.

Any ideas what they are for, or why I only have the one connector?
My Beaver has the same rocker switch and wires. Not hooked to anything either.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:48 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
WOW, lots of help here, thanks much!

Makes sense that the switch could be for ABS and lite-blink diagnostics. Will give it a try, now that it seems benign to do so... unless someone else wants to give it a go first?

I asked SilverLeaf to 2-day the updated box to me so I can try it all out. Anyone want to buy the earlier version?

Unfortunately, that and anything else I can play with will have to wait awhile. Just learned Mom (94yo) had another episode, so we'll be on the road (and mostly off-line) for a few days.

Thanks for all the help!!