Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #1513

Bauer EM keyless door lock

I eliminated the batteries in my Bauer EM door lock.

I picked up 12 volts from the light switches next to the compartment over the entry door. I ran the 12 volts behind the panel over the door and installed a
12 volt to 6 volt reducer. I ran the 6 volt and ground wire down to and behind the trim around the door casing and out to the door. (I drilled a hole 6 inches
above the top hinge in between the screen door and entry door to route the wires out).
I connected the ground wire to the door and ran the 6 volt wire across the top of the door and down the side and right next to the rubber gasket on the door.
I drilled a hole just above the door lock and ran the 6 volt wire in. I connected a ground wire to the door and also ran this in. I soldered little plates on the end of each wire and placed the ground wire on the bottom negative terminal in the battery compartment and the 6 volt wire on the bottom positive terminal. I cut two wooden dolls the length of two AA batteries and put them in place of the batteries / to hold the plates (wires) onto the terminals.
JamesJDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #1514

Sounds like you did a great job on replacing your batteries with a standard electrical system. My question is, why did you do this? I just purchased that exact lock system and have not installed it as of yet, did you have any problems with the battery system.

I have read a review on this lock that was not that favorable but I had to replace my old lock and I thought this one would be better. Thanks for the instructions on the conversion.
WALTAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #1515

WALTAJ,

I decided to eliminate the batteries because you don't know when the batteries are going to be too weak. I tried rechargeable batteries and they didn't seem to last much longer. Then I came up with this idea of running 6 volts to it. I did ithis in June. But wanted to give it a good test before putting it on the forum. Works every time and no problems.

Did you purchase the Bauer EM keyless door lock?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #1516

I purchased the Bauer EM keyless door lock some time ago, but did not attempt to install it until recently. My problem is the lock is smaller than my existing lock & will require a plate to cover the hole left on the upper portion of the panel left exposed. I called the manufacturer for the plate & was told their lock does not replace all RV locks. Mine is still in the box!!!
abel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #1517

Quote:
Originally Posted by abel View Post
I purchased the Bauer EM keyless door lock some time ago, but did not attempt to install it until recently. My problem is the lock is smaller than my existing lock & will require a plate to cover the hole left on the upper portion of the panel left exposed. I called the manufacturer for the plate & was told their lock does not replace all RV locks. Mine is still in the box!!!
Ralph,
Thats odd because mine fit good except I had to touch up a little white paint on the top corner.
I had suggested that they needed to supply a plastic gasket to resolve this issue but Even though they thought it was a good idea they never provided one.

See my picture in forum #1075 dated 8/31/2014.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJDion View Post
Ralph,
Thats odd because mine fit good except I had to touch up a little white paint on the top corner.
I had suggested that they needed to supply a plastic gasket to resolve this issue but Even though they thought it was a good idea they never provided one.

See my picture in forum #1075 dated 8/31/2014.
I replaced the lock with the same Bauer em . the first one was defective after about a month, and they sent me a new one and even paid for the return shipping. The new one works like a dream. I too only needed to touch up a small little spot on the top portion. As for worrying about if the batteries die , I would just get the spare set of keys I have hidden outside the MH.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #1519

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony O View Post
I replaced the lock with the same Bauer em . the first one was defective after about a month, and they sent me a new one and even paid for the return shipping. The new one works like a dream. I too only needed to touch up a small little spot on the top portion. As for worrying about if the batteries die , I would just get the spare set of keys I have hidden outside the MH.
The little area that needs to be painted could be done with black touch-up paint.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:13 AM   #1520

I have a Trimark factory installed lock. The Bauer EM leaves about a 2-3" gap at the top of the lock on the outside skin. I put my two locks together & the Bauer lock is definitely smaller, so it still is in the box!

Tom I was mistaken on the number of brackets Monaco installed to brace up my lower windshield assembly. They put in a total of 4. One at each end, flat iron 2" wide & the 2 square tube. Ralph Cordell 2012 Vesta
abel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #1521

Diesel Particulate Filter

I went to Five Star International , Mount Joy, PA for service.
Oil, filters, lube and generator service and I told them about puffing black smoke.
They determined that the DTF was cracked and needed to be replaced.
Fortunately it was under warranty (5 years / 100,000 miles).
Cost of a DTF is about $2,600 plus labor.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #1522

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=abel;2747989]I have a Trimark factory installed lock. The Bauer EM leaves about a 2-3" gap at the top of the lock on the outside skin. I put my two locks together & the Bauer lock is definitely smaller, so it still is in the box!

Bauer sells 2 different locks . one for trailers and 5th wheels and one for RVs. The one for trailers is smaller. There are only 2 sizes made for "mass Produced" RVs
you have probably gotten the one for trailers.
Trekgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #1523

Has anyone had to replace their Carefree-Apex awning material? If so, is the Carefree site the best source?
Old 09-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sircampsalot View Post
Has anyone had to replace their Carefree-Apex awning material? If so, is the Carefree site the best source?

Call Chris at Stone Vos. Chris is a coach owner and makes the highest quality replacement awning fabric available.

http://stonevos.com/

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #1525

I emailed Chris and they do not make replacement for Apex awning and directed me to contact Carefree for replacement. Their website was impressive and he was very upfront with reasons why they could not help.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #1526

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJDion View Post
Diesel Particulate Filter

I went to Five Star International , Mount Joy, PA for service.
Oil, filters, lube and generator service and I told them about puffing black smoke.
They determined that the DTF was cracked and needed to be replaced.
Fortunately it was under warranty (5 years / 100,000 miles).
Cost of a DTF is about $2,600 plus labor.
I have seen other posts where the DPF/DTF (same thing?) were refused for warranty work. Do you happen to know where in the Monaco Paperwork this warranty is explained?

Thanks!

Darren

Tags
monaco