Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #141
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 202
Ride Enhancement kit (REK)

I had the REK installed yesterday and stated that I would post after having it done. It is a big improvement!!!!! I drove it for 258 miles home on I77 from Canton,OH. Anyone that has ever driven that interstate knows that it beats you to death. The junction between the road and the bridges was not even detectable. It really softened up the ride and effected nothing else. I was driving in a lot of wind and coach handled very well. I would recommend it to anyone that doesn't mind spending the money (about 3,300 parts and labor). They got it installed in an eight hour day with two men working on it. This was only the fifth kit these people have install so if you had it done where they had done a bunch of they it might go a little faster. I did not have my wife and daughter with me so I can't tell you if it took the bounce out of the back. Totally new air bags were install, new monster size shocks, and two extra ping (air) tanks on the front. Each air bang on the front has its separate air tank.
At this early stage I feel it was a good investment!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #142
Senior Member
 
VestaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
I had the REK installed yesterday and stated that I would post after having it done. It is a big improvement!!!!! I drove it for 258 miles home on I77 from Canton,OH. Anyone that has ever driven that interstate knows that it beats you to death. The junction between the road and the bridges was not even detectable. It really softened up the ride and effected nothing else. I was driving in a lot of wind and coach handled very well. I would recommend it to anyone that doesn't mind spending the money (about 3,300 parts and labor). They got it installed in an eight hour day with two men working on it. This was only the fifth kit these people have install so if you had it done where they had done a bunch of they it might go a little faster. I did not have my wife and daughter with me so I can't tell you if it took the bounce out of the back. Totally new air bags were install, new monster size shocks, and two extra ping (air) tanks on the front. Each air bang on the front has its separate air tank.
At this early stage I feel it was a good investment!!!!!
That's great. Let us know if it improved the bouncing in the back of the unit too.
__________________

__________________
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #143
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 61
I am very glad to hear that the installation went well and that you are pleased with the performance of the kit, too.
__________________
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #144
Senior Member
 
Matchayan's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 170
I have read some of the posts on this thread and thought that our experience with our Vesta may help. we had one of the first few vestas made, I continually had hot air coming up from under the dash, occasionally it had an odor. Long story short returned it to Coburg and we determined that the air was coming up the steering column because of a poor design. This was a major concern because the odour was exhaust gas from the engine not a safe situation. Monaco repaired it but I never saw a service bulletin addressing the issue. So you might want to check to see if your units are sealed up properly.
__________________
Matchayan
2011 Monaco Cayman 36PFT, Cummins 340 600w of solar 4 6v batts, residential fridge
2011 Colorado Toad, Blue ox Aventa Tow Bar
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #145
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 148
Vesta cool air kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
For those interested, I'm posting a pic of the Vesta air box from the bottom with the new fresh air hose attached. I highly recommend this mod.
I am adding 3 pics of the recent modification of the cold air kit on a 2011 Monaco Vesta. The first is the aluminum duct from the intake to the inlet heater/ac plenum. The 2nd is where the duct is attached to the heater/ac plenum. The engine inlet duct is blocking most of the view of the attachment. The 3rd is the new heater/ac intake located just above the engine intake. It was cool (in the 50s) when i drove it home so it wasn't a real good test. I mostly ran with the heater control just barely off the stop on the blue side of the control. I hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	33526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	33527  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	33528  
__________________
2017 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2011 Jeep Wrangler
orpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #146
Senior Member
 
VestaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 671
Thanks for the pics. It looks like a more elegant mod than mine. They did it under warranty, didn't they? I'm sure you'll love the difference.
__________________
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #147
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 148
Yes it was done under warranty. I claimed just before 1 yr expiration. Thank you for bringing it to our attention early on and pioneering an early fix.
__________________
2017 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2011 Jeep Wrangler
orpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #148
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 148
I want to give a heads up on a recent issue I experienced with my 2011 Vesta. It had to do with the rear air bleed valve. After leaving the rv dealership for installing the cold air kit. I pulled into a service station for fuel. I noticed the entrance had a dip as I pulled in, but thought it wasn't so steep I would drag the back end. Well I misjudged and sure enough I did drag. I went a short distance and had a low rear air alarm. I stopped and went to inspect the damage and see what I had done. The air bleed valve is attached to the hitch and the air line enters from the bottom, so it is actually lower than the hitch. When I drug i broke off the air line from the bleed valve. Of course when this happened I quickly depleted the air supply. Fortunately I was just a few miles from the dealership, they took a valve off of a used Vesta they had for sale, within a short time I had it back together and was ready for the road. Mine is now temporarily relocated above the hitch. I strongly recommend you check yours and if it's lower than the bottom of the hitch to relocate it to avoid this experience. I was fortunate to be near the dealer. I also plan to carry some fittings for emergency repairs. This may not be unique to Vestas.
__________________
2017 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2011 Jeep Wrangler
orpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #149
Senior Member
 
VestaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 671
Thanks for the heads up. What happened to you is why I'm a little paranoid about dips and driveways. I'm sure going to check our valve location!
__________________
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #150
Senior Member
 
Jon Barnes's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mentor
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpco View Post
I want to give a heads up on a recent issue I experienced with my 2011 Vesta. It had to do with the rear air bleed valve. After leaving the rv dealership for installing the cold air kit. I pulled into a service station for fuel. I noticed the entrance had a dip as I pulled in, but thought it wasn't so steep I would drag the back end. Well I misjudged and sure enough I did drag. I went a short distance and had a low rear air alarm. I stopped and went to inspect the damage and see what I had done. The air bleed valve is attached to the hitch and the air line enters from the bottom, so it is actually lower than the hitch. When I drug i broke off the air line from the bleed valve. Of course when this happened I quickly depleted the air supply. Fortunately I was just a few miles from the dealership, they took a valve off of a used Vesta they had for sale, within a short time I had it back together and was ready for the road. Mine is now temporarily relocated above the hitch. I strongly recommend you check yours and if it's lower than the bottom of the hitch to relocate it to avoid this experience. I was fortunate to be near the dealer. I also plan to carry some fittings for emergency repairs. This may not be unique to Vestas.
I met a young couple @ Wakarusa last year who experienced exactly the same event. I have a drop down ball attached to the hitch for my tow dolly. I hope the hitch ball would prevent this type of damage - but maybe not. Were you towing - and if not was a hitch ball installed?

Thanks!

Jon Barnes
__________________
Jon Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #151
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 202
Thanks for the heads up. I think keeping others up to date on happenings with our coaches will give all of us a better experience with our own coaches.
__________________
Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #152
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Barnes View Post
I met a young couple @ Wakarusa last year who experienced exactly the same event. I have a drop down ball attached to the hitch for my tow dolly. I hope the hitch ball would prevent this type of damage - but maybe not. Were you towing - and if not was a hitch ball installed?

Thanks!

Jon Barnes
I was towing and it scraped pretty hard the ready brake tow bar and the safety cables. I need to inspect it before next trip to insure there is not some hidden damage. Other than the scrape it looks ok. The Vesta has a pretty significant overhang and that geometry really exacerbates problems with dips or sudden rises. The dealer even mentioned they have seen other problems from MH entering that service station. After experiencing this I'm surprised that the exhaust didn't drag, but I see no signs of that.
__________________
2017 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2011 Jeep Wrangler
orpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #153
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Is Navistar RV still making Vista's? Does anyone know if the Wynn's purchased a new Vista? deSanford
Hello,

I am new to the site. Thanks for all the great info on the Vesta. My wife and I plan to hit the open road full time in 4 or 5 years and since we are serious planners I have already started to do some research on MH's.

I have been really impressed by what I have read open the Vesta and was pretty much set on this being the perfect rig for us - nicely finished, good size and reasonable fuel economy. I have not seen anything else like it.

I went to the Monaco website the other day to see what the 2013 models had in store and couldn't find any info so I called a dealer in Indiana and he said Monaco/Navistar has discontinued the Vesta. I wrote to Navistar to ask what is happening but have not been given a reply. I am seriously disappointed. If we were ready to go now I could probably still find one on the market but in 4 or 5 years they will be pretty used up.

Has anyone heard a reason for the discontinuation. Someone eluded to it being only a short term issue and the Vesta may return! Otherwise is there anything else out there like the Vesta?

Thanks.
__________________
mastershoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #154
Senior Member
 
VestaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershoe View Post

Hello,

I am new to the site. Thanks for all the great info on the Vesta. My wife and I plan to hit the open road full time in 4 or 5 years and since we are serious planners I have already started to do some research on MH's.

I have been really impressed by what I have read open the Vesta and was pretty much set on this being the perfect rig for us - nicely finished, good size and reasonable fuel economy. I have not seen anything else like it.

I went to the Monaco website the other day to see what the 2013 models had in store and couldn't find any info so I called a dealer in Indiana and he said Monaco/Navistar has discontinued the Vesta. I wrote to Navistar to ask what is happening but have not been given a reply. I am seriously disappointed. If we were ready to go now I could probably still find one on the market but in 4 or 5 years they will be pretty used up.

Has anyone heard a reason for the discontinuation. Someone eluded to it being only a short term issue and the Vesta may return! Otherwise is there anything else out there like the Vesta?

Thanks.
The reason(s) for Navistar's decision to discontinue the Vesta are complicated. I'd start with Navistar itself which has been losing market share in their trucking business for the past couple of years and their stock value has dropped nearly 50%. These losses are largely attributed to some huge management blunders and massive warranty costs. The RV portion of Navistar is small potatoes and Monaco is now for sale. One of the decisions made in their effort to survive as a company was to close their Oregon factory where the Vesta/Trip was manufactured. Because demand for their front engine diesel was not great they opted to not move the Vesta to Indiana.
Navistar's model is unique in the motorhome industry as it is the only coach built from the ground up by a single parent company and if ultimately successful would be great for consumers. Right now, that's in real doubt.
When Navistar purchased the bankrupt Monaco RV they for many reasons alienated existing Monaco owners when they failed to honor Monaco warranty obligations. In effect, that wrecked potential product loyalty.
Another factor is that competitors have developed lower cost pushers, I'm thinking Palazzo, Breeze which seem to be doing well.
On the bright side, the Vesta is in my opinion a great unit and any left on dealer lots can probably be had at a deep discount. Also, the Maxxforce 7 is still in production and used in school busses and other motorhomes like the Breeze.
I don't think there is anything like the Vesta being built today ; but odds are that Navistar will survive.
__________________

__________________
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
monaco



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
dpj1959
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.