Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #1933

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #1934

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJDion View Post
I finally got the 'Tran Service Icon' (Green Wrench) turned off.
Therefore apparently the info on page 214 in the Vesta user manual relating to the Tran Service Icon is wrong / misleading. If the Green Wrench comes on check the diagnostic codes to determine the real problem.
Hi James,
Not the first time I heard of something being misleading in the manual. This is why I join the forum to get better information. Thank you for reporting back what the problem was. I'll keep this for my service notes and stick it in page 214.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #1935

We we are off to Texas on onday to pick up our Vesta. Pretty excited.

For your all's reference we found:
1) Of the 5 or 6 major RV insurance options (GS, GMAC, ForeMost, etc.), we found prices ranged from $1600 to less than $600 for similar coverage. GEICO was the least expensive one at less than $600. Next least expensive was $950.
2) Dealer wanted $6600 for 36 month XtraRide Exclusionary Extended Warranty. We found 60 month Exclusionary (with consequential damage) for $4700 online.

Shopping around for these two items sure paid off for us.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #1936

Link to our Vesta:

You are being redirected...

Just might be the only 2011 in existance with an Exhaust Brake as it was owned by Monaco until May 2016 and upgraded by them.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel-in View Post
Link to our Vesta:

You are being redirected...

Just might be the only 2011 in existance with an Exhaust Brake as it was owned by Monaco until May 2016 and upgraded by them.
If this has the exhaust brake, it may also have the 300hp upgrade. Search out the engine EPA compliance plate on the front of the engine. If the engine was uprated to 300hp it will be reflected there.

The upgrade from 260 to 300hp was an ECM reprogram and along with it came the exhaust brake which was a hardware upgrade to the turbo system. Navistar chose to upgrade a number of engines they already had in-house.

The glitch here is that not all of the engine upgrades made it to the Navistar master computer and so if you had one of the engines that started out as a 260hp engine and was upgraded by Navistar to 300hp with the exhaust brake it remained in the master computer as a 260. All engine/ECM upgrades come from the master computer!

The result of this was if the ECM needed to be reflashed due to upgrades or recall, the engine reverted to 260 and the exhaust brake was disabled since the 260 version of the software wasn't "aware" of the EBrake!

I would contact Navistar with your engine number to find out the exact status of your particular engine. In the interim, if everything including the EBrake is working fine, don't allow an engine/ECM reflash.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco1 View Post
If this has the exhaust brake, it may also have the 300hp upgrade. Search out the engine EPA compliance plate on the front of the engine. If the engine was uprated to 300hp it will be reflected there.

The upgrade from 260 to 300hp was an ECM reprogram and along with it came the exhaust brake which was a hardware upgrade to the turbo system. Navistar chose to upgrade a number of engines they already had in-house.

The glitch here is that not all of the engine upgrades made it to the Navistar master computer and so if you had one of the engines that started out as a 260hp engine and was upgraded by Navistar to 300hp with the exhaust brake it remained in the master computer as a 260. All engine/ECM upgrades come from the master computer!

The result of this was if the ECM needed to be reflashed due to upgrades or recall, the engine reverted to 260 and the exhaust brake was disabled since the 260 version of the software wasn't "aware" of the EBrake!

I would contact Navistar with your engine number to find out the exact status of your particular engine. In the interim, if everything including the EBrake is working fine, don't allow an engine/ECM reflash.

I was thinking the same thing. It's probably a 260hp without a functioning ebrake or a 300hp with one. If it is a 260hp with the brake it would be good to know how that was done.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #1939

Hi Team,

Thanks for the info on the EB and 300 HP engine. This Vesta definitely has the EB. Previous owner says it has the 300 HP upgrade also. Selling dealer say it is 260HP. My hope is the dealer is simply going off the 2011 manufacture date. As this was Monaco's Demo/Exec Coach for 5 years, they apparently also did several upgrades to it. Hence the EB and potential 300HP. According to the CarFax report, this Vesta was n Monaco's custody until May 2016 when it was sold to the current owner with 7K miles on it. Has 15K on it now. Pickup is Thursday Morning.

Definitely will check the EPA sticker and keep you all appraised.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #1940

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJDion View Post
I finally got the 'Tran Service Icon' (Green Wrench) turned off.
I brought the coach to Five Star International, Mount Joy, PA.
The Green Wrench was turned on by the ECM (computer) as a Setvice Interval Requirement (at 45000 miles) for the Crankcase Breather Assembly and a SPN 4227 FMI 31 code was logged. It had nothing to do with the transmission.
MY coach had a Non Serviceable Crankcase Assembly and did not need any service.
Five Star updated the ECM with the Non Serviceable Crankcase Assembly Template and turned off the Green Wrench.
Hey, We met you at Ft. Wilderness a few years ago, you gave me a slide cable, thanks again. Used it not long after

We just had that exact code throw in our 2012. I had read a service bulletin from Navistar saying that the non serviceable crankcases started AFTER 7/2012. Weird. It would be nice if any of the documentation involving our coaches would actually be helpful....grrrrr. I will have it looked at, but stop stressing on it

-Darren
Old 09-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #1941

New-to-Us Vesta...First Drivign Impressons

Hi Team,

Well we have completed 1000 miles of the 15000 mile trek back from picking up our Vesta. Here are my impressions after 1000 miles:
Good
1) Drives much better than I expected. No (or very, very small) push from trucks, tracks in lane very well with minimal steering input.
2) Exhaust Brake. While only used in the "hills" of Tenn and Virginia so far (nothing like the real mountains out west), it sure makes driving easy.
3) The 300 HP engine is nice and it downshifts less than I expected on hills.
4) Engine noise. Less than expected. Oddly enuff, we kinda like it. DW said she finds it relaxing (yes she really said that). For reference, we are coming from 7+ years of pulling a large trailer with an F250 with a similar 6.4 liter engine and we find the noise of the Vesta to be slightly lees than when we were pulling with our truck. So we are very used to 6.4 Liter Diesel noise.
5) With a few exceptions, the overall quality of the coach's workmanship is outstanding.
6) We love the outside looks and the euro interior more than anticipated. While we did not quite buy-sight-unseen, we placed the refundable deposit without ever seeing a vesta in person. We went to Texas and spent several days looking it over, actuated every system, took 3 test drives, then decided to take it home

So-So:
1) Need to work on a creaking dash board.
2) Cruise control is not working (we knew this when we purchased).
3) Surprised at no slide topper. Pictures all showed it did not have one...just assumed and never looked.

Not Good
1) Right mirror is mounted too low. So the curved mirror (on the bottom) is only partially visible from the drivers seat. Makes it pretty useless.

Overall, after 1K miles, it is pretty hard to find much to not like.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #1942

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Team,

Well we have completed 1000 miles of the 15000 mile trek back from picking up our Vesta. Here are my impressions after 1000 miles:
Good
1) Drives much better than I expected. No (or very, very small) push from trucks, tracks in lane very well with minimal steering input.
2) Exhaust Brake. While only used in the "hills" of Tenn and Virginia so far (nothing like the real mountains out west), it sure makes driving easy.
4) Engine noise. Less than expected. Oddly enuff, we kinda like it. DW said she finds it relaxing (yes she really said that). For reference, we are coming from 7+ years of pulling a large trailer with an F250 with a similar 6.4 liter engine and we find the noise of the Vesta to be slightly lees than when we were pulling with our truck. So we are very used to 6.4 Liter Diesel noise.
5) With a few exceptions, the overall quality of the coach's workmanship is outstanding.
6) We love the outside looks and the euro interior more than anticipated. While we did not quite buy-sight-unseen, we placed the refundable deposit without ever seeing a vesta in person. We went to Texas and spent several days looking it over, actuated every system, took 3 test drives, then decided to take it home

So-So:
1) Need to work on a creaking dash board.
2) Cruise control is not working (we knew this when we purchased).
3) Surprised at no slide topper. Pictures all showed it did not have one...just assumed and never looked.

Not Good
1) Right mirror is mounted too low. So the curved mirror (on the bottom) is only partially visible from the drivers seat. Makes it pretty useless.

Best of luck with your Vesta.

i believe that all 2011 Vestas don't have a slide topper.
i think it looks nice / sleek without it.
JamesJDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #1943

Quote:
Hi Team,

Good
4) Engine noise. Less than expected. Oddly enuff, we kinda like it. DW said she finds it relaxing (yes she really said that).

My DW likes the sound of the engine as well. She said it sounds like power
particularly when we"re towing our chevy.

The attention that we still get when we pull into a campsite excuses any short comings. And this coming from people who own coaches that cost 3x as much as the Vesta..
Old 09-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #1944

Welcome aboard the Vesta club. Our 2011 came with a slide topper.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #1945

Monaco Owners Club
Vesta Popularity

Isn't it amazing how many people stop and look at, ask questions and even take pictures of our Vesta's all across the country!! I read here that it's not just me but all of you have this wonderful issue. I've put 17K on my 2011 and I have never seen another one on the road. I guess no one else has ever seen one either because where ever I stop, gas station, Vons, or a camp grounds, I always get at least one on looker, they drive around it one or two times then stop and ask questions. I enjoy their interest and it justifies my Love for the Vesta. This has to become a classic if it hasn't become one already. I can't imagine owning anthing else.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #1946

They are unique. We experienced this on our way home. Folks at Gas Stations coming over to ask questions and admire.

I suspect Vesta's (at the cost they would need to sell today) would be a tuff sell. Long, Long story however the gent we brought ours from was a family friend of the Number 2 man at Monaco (whoever that is). He said his friend told him, if they were to build today, they would have to sell for $300K to turn a small profit.

Tags
monaco