Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #183

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexguy View Post
I am new to this forum but have owned a 2011 vesta for a couple of years now. We have got 16000 miles on it and do like it. I too am nervous about the emission system and the fact that they discontinued the model. We have never invested as much in anything as we did in this motorhome. Coming back from florida we lost most of the power and it wouldn't go over 40 MPH. Only light that came on was the yellow triangle one. Went on for about 25 minutes then cleared up and ran fine the rest of the way home.Took it into Navistar, and computer stored an over pressure boost fault. and were not able to reproduce it. Makes us nervous thinking it might happen again or even be worse.
I had the cold air kit installed by selling dealer in early February . When I left dealership a yellow triangle appeared in the DIC within about 2 miles, within a few seconds I had a particulate filter regeneration light come on. I noticed a considerable cut in power. Because I had never seen this yellow triangle before or even a steady regeneration light, and the work that had just been performed, I pulled over at next exit and shut down engine and called dealer. The Vesta had 9000 miles on it. I noticed that had let it idles for some time after installing the cold air kit. After discussing with dealer I returned to the dealer with reduced power and the yellow triangle but no regen light. The next morning they pulled codes and there was a low coolant and an oxygen code. Coolant was fine and they indicated oxygen code was related to the regeneration. The next morning I headed out. Almost at same place on interstate the yellow triangle appears, power seems cut and within a few seconds I had a flashing stage 2 regeneration signal. I kept driving with reduced power. At about 10 miles the regen light went off and then came back on a couple of miles later. It went on for about 20 miles, then went off and almost immediately a steady stage 1 light came on for several miles. Power is still cut and I can only go about 50 mph and about 40 mph on overpasses. Yellow triangle is still lit. I called dealer and they said this was due to me shutting down the first regen the day before and I should keep driving. Fortunately on Saturday morning traffic was pretty light for I 35 through Forth Worth. As I drove, I could tell that power was slowly increasing. After about 100 miles, full power had gradually been restored. Yellow light was still on when I stopped for fuel. I filled up and restarted engine and yellow light had cleared. I drove about another 250 miles without incident. Both dealer and Navistar technician believed this long duration of reduced power was due to me shutting down during the regeneration cycle. Moral to the story is to have a thorough understanding of the environmental control cycle and the codes it displays and how to respond to them. Sorry for the long dissertation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpco View Post
I had the cold air kit installed by selling dealer in early February . When I left dealership a yellow triangle appeared in the DIC within about 2 miles, within a few seconds I had a particulate filter regeneration light come on. I noticed a considerable cut in power. Because I had never seen this yellow triangle before or even a steady regeneration light, and the work that had just been performed, I pulled over at next exit and shut down engine and called dealer. The Vesta had 9000 miles on it. I noticed that had let it idles for some time after installing the cold air kit. After discussing with dealer I returned to the dealer with reduced power and the yellow triangle but no regen light. The next morning they pulled codes and there was a low coolant and an oxygen code. Coolant was fine and they indicated oxygen code was related to the regeneration. The next morning I headed out. Almost at same place on interstate the yellow triangle appears, power seems cut and within a few seconds I had a flashing stage 2 regeneration signal. I kept driving with reduced power. At about 10 miles the regen light went off and then came back on a couple of miles later. It went on for about 20 miles, then went off and almost immediately a steady stage 1 light came on for several miles. Power is still cut and I can only go about 50 mph and about 40 mph on overpasses. Yellow triangle is still lit. I called dealer and they said this was due to me shutting down the first regen the day before and I should keep driving. Fortunately on Saturday morning traffic was pretty light for I 35 through Forth Worth. As I drove, I could tell that power was slowly increasing. After about 100 miles, full power had gradually been restored. Yellow light was still on when I stopped for fuel. I filled up and restarted engine and yellow light had cleared. I drove about another 250 miles without incident. Both dealer and Navistar technician believed this long duration of reduced power was due to me shutting down during the regeneration cycle. Moral to the story is to have a thorough understanding of the environmental control cycle and the codes it displays and how to respond to them. Sorry for the long dissertation.
Great write up. This truly is truly informative and is something all Navistar owners should be aware of. As I indicated in an earlier post my strategy is to just keep driving when lights start to pop up on the dash.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #185

Regen light and yellow triangle

I was one of early posters on the problem with regen process. I just this last weekend had the solid yellow triangle come on for short periods. I drove and it went off and thn came back on n went off. I read the Navistar manual and thought this light was about engine temperature. Am I wrong? I did not look at the temp of engine as I did not know what this light indicated until after I stopped and was at home. I have not had any regen problems after the initial occurrence about 6 months ago. Does anyone know if the solid yellow triangle and the regen system are interconnected? I did have the cool air correction kit install at the Monaco factory last winter but have only driven it about 500 mies since. It seems that this yellow triangle and the cold air kit may be related. Has everyone with the yellow triangle had the cold air kit placed on te coach? I do believe the solid yellow triangle and the regen process are not the same. On my coach (2012-35') the are on different lines on the panel. I think this is the type of info we need to share to help us enjoy this coach!!
Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #186

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
I was one of early posters on the problem with regen process. I just this last weekend had the solid yellow triangle come on for short periods. I drove and it went off and thn came back on n went off. I read the Navistar manual and thought this light was about engine temperature. Am I wrong? I did not look at the temp of engine as I did not know what this light indicated until after I stopped and was at home. I have not had any regen problems after the initial occurrence about 6 months ago. Does anyone know if the solid yellow triangle and the regen system are interconnected? I did have the cool air correction kit install at the Monaco factory last winter but have only driven it about 500 mies since. It seems that this yellow triangle and the cold air kit may be related. Has everyone with the yellow triangle had the cold air kit placed on te coach? I do believe the solid yellow triangle and the regen process are not the same. On my coach (2012-35') the are on different lines on the panel. I think this is the type of info we need to share to help us enjoy this coach!!
According to my manual the yellow triangle will illuminate in conjunction with other warning lights or general text. It is safe to drive but the code should be checked out. It's similar to a check engine light on a car or truck.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #187

Quote:
According to my manual the yellow triangle will illuminate in conjunction with other warning lights or general text. It is safe to drive but the code should be checked out. It's similar to a check engine light on a car or truck.
This is generally correct, but there are instances when the yellow triangle will appear without other corresponding lights. My understanding is that when this occurs it could be nothing or....? This is a source for some of the confusion re these dash lights.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #188

Newmar Owners Club
We have been told that the yellow triangle comes on to alert one of a system that is reaching its upper or lower limits. Our yellow light comes on most often when the temp (engine or trans) is reaching its upper temp. Normally the aux fan comes on and the yellow triangle light disappears a few minutes later when the temp has fallen.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #189

Yellow triangle

I need to read further on the yellow light. I am now totally confused. My triangle came on on a 50 degree day with nothing being towed and 5 guys going to a sporting clays range. There was no reason for excessive heat. I did not get the manual out til I got home as it kept going off. I blew it off as I figured there was no way it could have over heated. Maybe I did not read far enough in my manual. I guess I was wondering if this had something to do with the installation of the cold air kit. Has anyone had the yellow triangle come on that hasn't had the cold air fix?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
I need to read further on the yellow light. I am now totally confused. My triangle came on on a 50 degree day with nothing being towed and 5 guys going to a sporting clays range. There was no reason for excessive heat. I did not get the manual out til I got home as it kept going off. I blew it off as I figured there was no way it could have over heated. Maybe I did not read far enough in my manual. I guess I was wondering if this had something to do with the installation of the cold air kit. Has anyone had the yellow triangle come on that hasn't had the cold air fix?
Take a look at the Diamond Trucking YouTube video, I'd send you the link if I knew how. In any event just type in "Maxxforce7 regen" and it will come up. It's about 10 min. long but well worth the view. The video was created as a training tool for their drivers and is far more informative than our owners manual.
Regarding the yellow triangle light according to the video if it appears alone and goes out then its probably meaningless. However, it could also relate to the AEGR system. My guess is that if there is a soot issue another light will come on to cue you as to what action to take.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #191

Newmar Owners Club
As clarification, the yellow triangle has come on at times other than when the temp was in the high range. It has come twice and the engine started to bog down. In one instance we were on the Florida Turnpike and I got off at the next rest area, pulled over to get fuel, put the trans. in neutral and raced the engine for 3-5 minutes. The yellow triangle went off but none of the reg. lights ever came on. No further problem and have driven approx. 10,000 miles more. Currently have 23,000 miles,
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #192

Newmar Owners Club
Were you able to get an explanation from your dealer or service people as to why this happened and what was going on that caused you to lose power during this episode? That's what bugs me, is no one seems to have an answer as to what is going on in the engine when it loses power. If I knew how to prevent it, I most certainly would.
simplexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #193

Monaco Owners Club
Both the Monaco and Navistar engine manuals reference loss of power and engine performance being limited in stage (level) 2 and 3 in regard to the DPF regeneration. In stage 3 (Monaco manual) power is limited to 70%. I recommend getting out both manuals and studying the DPF regeneration cycles. Mine manuals have some discrepancy between the descriptions. I think part of my confusion has to do with these discrepancies. I sent Monaco an email today. If I get response I will post it. We definitely need to fully understand what is going on and how to respond when we get these various symbols in the instrument cluster.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #194

Thanks for sharing info

I just wanted to thank everyone for continuing to share their info on these coaches. I think this is a great way for all of us to have a better experience with our individual coaches.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #195

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Both the Monaco and Navistar engine manuals reference loss of power and engine performance being limited in stage (level) 2 and 3 in regard to the DPF regeneration. In stage 3 (Monaco manual) power is limited to 70%. I recommend getting out both manuals and studying the DPF regeneration cycles. Mine manuals have some discrepancy between the descriptions. I think part of my confusion has to do with these discrepancies. I sent Monaco an email today. If I get response I will post it. We definitely need to fully understand what is going on and how to respond when we get these various symbols in the instrument cluster.
The response I received from Monaco Technician via email is below.
" The REGEN process is part of the normal engine operation with the new emissions standards and when all is well it will occur while you are driving and you will probably barely notice it. When something causes greater than normal soot buildup in the DPF (the most common issue is an exhaust leak not allowing the temp and pressure to reach the level needed for a REGEN) then you start getting the different stages of buildup. Generally our suggestion is to drive the coach at 40+ MPH until all the lights go out. If you start getting Check Engine light or audible warning tones along with the DPF light then it is time to pull over and attempt a parked REGEN. If this does not get the coach back up and running again then you will probably need to get the coach to an International shop to have them manually clean the DPF and check for exhaust leaks and other possible causes."
This response from Monaco seems to be consistent with the Monaco manual for stage 2 and 3. The Navistar manual indicates to me a Level 2 response is a parked regeneration. This Monaco response is also consistent with my dealer guidance.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #196

Quote:

The response I received from Monaco Technician via email is below.
" The REGEN process is part of the normal engine operation with the new emissions standards and when all is well it will occur while you are driving and you will probably barely notice it. When something causes greater than normal soot buildup in the DPF (the most common issue is an exhaust leak not allowing the temp and pressure to reach the level needed for a REGEN) then you start getting the different stages of buildup. Generally our suggestion is to drive the coach at 40+ MPH until all the lights go out. If you start getting Check Engine light or audible warning tones along with the DPF light then it is time to pull over and attempt a parked REGEN. If this does not get the coach back up and running again then you will probably need to get the coach to an International shop to have them manually clean the DPF and check for exhaust leaks and other possible causes."
This response from Monaco seems to be consistent with the Monaco manual for stage 2 and 3. The Navistar manual indicates to me a Level 2 response is a parked regeneration. This Monaco response is also consistent with my dealer guidance.
Thanks for your post. Bottom line seems to be just keep driving @40+ as the best way to keep the filter clean. By the way, I don't like term "attempt to do a parked regen". It sounds less than assured, if you get my meaning.
I'm taking the MH in tomorrow for its 10000 mi service and I hope we can figure out why I got 2 warning signals on our last trip. Again, we did not experience any drop in power so I doubt that these lights related to the DPF.

Tags
monaco