Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #1989

Somewhat Sadly...Movin' On

Well, the time has come and time for a change. I wasn't using the Vesta enough and in a way that justified its size. I'd only managed just over 10000 miles since I owned it and it was a lot of hardware for such light usage.

I was sad to see it go because I liked it a lot. I saw some early press from Monaco/Navistar and liked the concept of something a bit smaller than what I had with well thought out aerodynamics and striking looks! Visited the factory in Oregon and toured a 2011 32' that I liked but then they showed me the 35' prototype and I was sold...except for the price. I think perhaps for that reason, they didn't sell as well as they had hoped...but good for me, asking prices came down to a level I could accept and the rest is history.

This was my third Class A, a gas 35', a DP 38' prior and this handled by a wide margin better than both in the wind and generally tracking on the highway. I had no "death wobble" issues as some have had, but I did insist as a condition of sale to have a wheel alignment done (imho something anyone buying a new MH should do). I never felt the need for a steering stabilizer or other such item.

I'd read on here and elsewhere that the factory ride was not the best and confirmed this with a test drive. By then the REK was out there and well reviewed. I planned at the outset to have this done and it was worth every penny and recommend it to anyone who is going to keep the coach for a while.

I did have the heating/ac intake issue but, perhaps due to the climate here, never did anything about it. I either needed a bit of heat...problem solved, or some cooling, put the AC on Max (which really just means that the AC is getting its air from inside instead of the outside intake) and good to go. The few perfect days when I needed neither heating nor cooling were too few to justify a fix.

Monaco tried hard to do a then, state of the art audio/visual system but it was way too complicated, had at its heart an RCA receiver that was junk and on the 35', concentrated all the power and other connections in a tiny little compartment next to the ceiling. If by some miracle it's all working as advertised...touch nothing! If not...well good luck.

Anyway, this post is probably long enough. Just wanted to share some thoughts on my experience. I was very happy with this rig and the only real issue with it was the engine reflash deal well documented earlier.

I've very much enjoyed being part of this string....wow 140+ pages! the information I've gathered here has been priceless to me and hopefully I've managed to add some useful info to the pool. For the long timers here, many thanks for your help and input over the years, for the newcomers, get ready for a new experience. The Vesta/Trip is still pretty unique in appearance and there aren't that many around. Get ready for people to drop by and ask what/where/when etc.. At least as good as a cute puppy for meeting new people at the park!

So long for now. I'll hang around for a while and will contribute if I can.

Cheers,
Tom

PS. Changed to a LTV Wonder B+ towing a Smart Car.
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #1990

Tom,
We just did the same as you this past summer due to the fact we weren't using the Trip as we should. As I mentioned before we traded down to a Thor Citation Sprinter. Thor can not hold a match to Monaco for customer service. However, I miss the Trip due to the unique nature.
Jim
Hermbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco1 View Post
Well, the time has come and time for a change. I wasn't using the Vesta enough and in a way that justified its size. I'd only managed just over 10000 miles since I owned it and it was a lot of hardware for such light usage.

I was sad to see it go because I liked it a lot. I saw some early press from Monaco/Navistar and liked the concept of something a bit smaller than what I had with well thought out aerodynamics and striking looks! Visited the factory in Oregon and toured a 2011 32' that I liked but then they showed me the 35' prototype and I was sold...except for the price. I think perhaps for that reason, they didn't sell as well as they had hoped...but good for me, asking prices came down to a level I could accept and the rest is history.

This was my third Class A, a gas 35', a DP 38' prior and this handled by a wide margin better than both in the wind and generally tracking on the highway. I had no "death wobble" issues as some have had, but I did insist as a condition of sale to have a wheel alignment done (imho something anyone buying a new MH should do). I never felt the need for a steering stabilizer or other such item.

I'd read on here and elsewhere that the factory ride was not the best and confirmed this with a test drive. By then the REK was out there and well reviewed. I planned at the outset to have this done and it was worth every penny and recommend it to anyone who is going to keep the coach for a while.

I did have the heating/ac intake issue but, perhaps due to the climate here, never did anything about it. I either needed a bit of heat...problem solved, or some cooling, put the AC on Max (which really just means that the AC is getting its air from inside instead of the outside intake) and good to go. The few perfect days when I needed neither heating nor cooling were too few to justify a fix.

Monaco tried hard to do a then, state of the art audio/visual system but it was way too complicated, had at its heart an RCA receiver that was junk and on the 35', concentrated all the power and other connections in a tiny little compartment next to the ceiling. If by some miracle it's all working as advertised...touch nothing! If not...well good luck.

Anyway, this post is probably long enough. Just wanted to share some thoughts on my experience. I was very happy with this rig and the only real issue with it was the engine reflash deal well documented earlier.

I've very much enjoyed being part of this string....wow 140+ pages! the information I've gathered here has been priceless to me and hopefully I've managed to add some useful info to the pool. For the long timers here, many thanks for your help and input over the years, for the newcomers, get ready for a new experience. The Vesta/Trip is still pretty unique in appearance and there aren't that many around. Get ready for people to drop by and ask what/where/when etc.. At least as good as a cute puppy for meeting new people at the park!

So long for now. I'll hang around for a while and will contribute if I can.

Cheers,

Tom

PS. Changed to a LTV Wonder B+ towing a Smart Car.

Thanks for all your input Wilco1, we will all miss your wisdom here. Whoever’s got or getting your Vesta is getting a good one. Happy travels.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #1992

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco1 View Post

For the sub-woofer question....yes should be under the aft end of the dinette.

Cheers,
Tom
Found it Tom, Thanks
HerbieHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #1993

The wife and I picked up our 32PBS in Melbourne Fla from an incredible couple that was finished traveling and ready to let our beauty go... Looking for a few tips and answers for questions I have and will thank in advance for any and all responses.

Front windshield looks like it may have had rain-x on it because the rain pretty much runs right off. Question is that my windshield wipers are slow and struggle to operate. Is this normal or a problem.

Solar kits. Not sure if we are prewired for solar and is it feasible, plausible, and worth the money and effort.

Fuel. In my work trucks I always try and put the same brand of gas... Is this the same for diesel and is there any ULSD that is better than others.

Radio. The original VR 209TP is in the coach and I am looking to update and possibly upgrade it, possibly with a nice navigation and Bluetooth option. Any radios out there worthy of mention? Seems like there is not much on the net about replacements. I do have a call into Monaco and am waiting but would really like options.

Again and thanks in advanced for any help... The wife and I are ready to roll...
dpj1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj1959 View Post
The wife and I picked up our 32PBS in Melbourne Fla from an incredible couple that was finished traveling and ready to let our beauty go... Looking for a few tips and answers for questions I have and will thank in advance for any and all responses.

Front windshield looks like it may have had rain-x on it because the rain pretty much runs right off. Question is that my windshield wipers are slow and struggle to operate. Is this normal or a problem.

Solar kits. Not sure if we are prewired for solar and is it feasible, plausible, and worth the money and effort.

Fuel. In my work trucks I always try and put the same brand of gas... Is this the same for diesel and is there any ULSD that is better than others.

Radio. The original VR 209TP is in the coach and I am looking to update and possibly upgrade it, possibly with a nice navigation and Bluetooth option. Any radios out there worthy of mention? Seems like there is not much on the net about replacements. I do have a call into Monaco and am waiting but would really like options.

Again and thanks in advanced for any help... The wife and I are ready to roll...
Big Congrats. We just picked ours up in September.

These are really neat Motor Coaches.

Hoping yours has the Exhaust Brake, really makes driving in hills/mountains a pleasure.
vestadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj1959 View Post

Congrats on your Vesta and many happy miles.

There are post in this forum about some having trouble with their windshield wipers.
Maybe you just st need to replace them.
I purchased Trico Neoform 28” wiper blades at Walmart.
I remove them when we are parked at a campground for while
otherwise the sun ruins them.

We are at Thousand Trails, Clermont, FL.
Let us know if you are in the area.
JamesJDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJDion View Post
Congrats on your Vesta and many happy miles.

There are post in this forum about some having trouble with their windshield wipers.
Maybe you just st need to replace them.
I purchased Trico Neoform 28” wiper blades at Walmart.
I remove them when we are parked at a campground for while
otherwise the sun ruins them.

We are at Thousand Trails, Clermont, FL.
Let us know if you are in the area.
I have an Uncle in Clermont and will definitely look you up... I believe the previous owners put new wipers on the unit before we bought it. I am going to research a little more before I call and ask Monaco. Would really like to find an awesome radio that works for this coach but not getting much luck. Even called Crutchfield and they were no help.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel-in View Post
Big Congrats. We just picked ours up in September.

These are really neat Motor Coaches.

Hoping yours has the Exhaust Brake, really makes driving in hills/mountains a pleasure.
Ours doesn't have the EB but the owner gave us his Even Brake to put in our jeep.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:48 AM   #1998

Radio replacement...

Hi,

I had the dash off yesterday (to replace headlight switch). Replacing the radio looks like not too difficult a job. Here is how I would approach it:

1) Using the install manual for the current radio, identify and mark what all the wires are.
2) Remove old radio
3) Connect wiring (marked in step 1) with new radio per the new radio manual.

Trick would be finding one that is an exact fit.

Dan

P.S. I love the ability to lift the top of the dash off and have clear access to all the dash wiring.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:07 AM   #1999

Our new-to-us Vesta has software version 1.2 and our cruise control does not work. I have verified proper operation of the steering wheel controls. Activation of a switch on the steering wheel controls causes the proper command (relay closure) to be sent to the ECM.

Reading back thru the threads, there were folks who had their cruise control not work after updating to 1.2. some reverted to previous firmware. So a couple of questions:

1) Is 1.2 the latest firmware from Navistar?
2) Anyone else running 1.2 and not having Cruise Control Problems?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #2000

Help Please

Hi Team,

We are winterizing our new-to-us Monaco Vesta and cannot find the whole house water filter.

For the life of us we cannot find the whole house water filter. The manual says it is located in the Water Service Center.
1) We have looked everywhere and cannot find it.
2) While the manual says it is located in the Water Service Center. The portion of the manual that shows all the items in the Water Service center does not show a whole house water filter.

Any help locating it would be appreciated. We have a hard freeze coming in a few days and I need to get our vesta winterized.

Thanks
Dan
Old 11-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel-in View Post
Hi Team,

We are winterizing our new-to-us Monaco Vesta and cannot find the whole house water filter.

For the life of us we cannot find the whole house water filter. The manual says it is located in the Water Service Center.
1) We have looked everywhere and cannot find it.
2) While the manual says it is located in the Water Service Center. The portion of the manual that shows all the items in the Water Service center does not show a whole house water filter.

Any help locating it would be appreciated. We have a hard freeze coming in a few days and I need to get our vesta winterized.

Thanks
Dan

Mystery solved. Found bracket for whole house water filter. The filter had been removed and a bypass put in.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #2002

The More I work on it...The More Impressed I am...

The Monaco Vesta is a very nicely made/equipped motorhome.

I have had panels off and the dash off as I upgrade/fix a few items. I am very impressed with how the Vesta is put together in the areas you can't see.

Some recent Vesta 32s (in nice shape) have sold in the $75K to $85K range. At those price points, I think this is one of the better Motorhome values out there...

Tags
monaco