Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix
We also do short showers. Get wet, turn off water, wash, then turn water back on and rinse. Regen worries me as I was able to "limp" in to service. Topped hills on highway at about 15mph. I could not get coach to regen but I did turn off engine and then restarted and light was off. I tried to do the regen but I believe the light must b on solid. Again told to not idle coach unless absolutely have to.
When your regen light turned off after you restarted the engine did the engine run properly ? If it did not, then the regen was not completed; so was any other dash light on? I don't think the regen light is supposed to turn off if the regen was still necessary???
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #44

Regen response

My light turned on and I immediately pulled into a rest area. I called a navistar truck dealer that I knew was two exits up the road. They told me I shouldn't drive with light on but as close as I was to go ahead and drive to them. Light was on solid when I turned engine off but did not come back on as I tarted up the road but with absolutely no power as tasted before. I did not push the regen button with the light on solid. I do not know if it would ave tarted to regen if I had tried with light on solid. I wish I would have tried prior to turning engine off. I guess I panicked as I was trying to get to my daughters first big time swim meet and need to use MH as I had not made motel resvation. If I knew it would regen on its own I would not b concerned. It has run well since service gut ran it thru imputed twice even though computer said regen process failed. I don't know if this answers your question or not. If not let me know and I'll try again.
Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #45

Info on using propane furnace

I have used my coach where I needed heat from the furnace. Dry camping. Two questions. 1. I was told by lazydays service that I should not expect the house batteries to run the furnace all night. I have never had a coach where this was a problem even with less battery size. I ran nothing else but an iPhone and iPad charger. Shouldn't these house batteries run all night? 2. And most important. It seemed as if the bedroom did not warm very well. I felt very little heat going thru the floor duct in the bedroom and actually felt very little air flow thru the front vents. Do others have this problem? Has anyone found a fix as I us my coach in cold weather. I even wondered if my floor duct work might have something in the duct work blocking the air flow. Anyone that has any suggestions or resolution to this problem I wold like to her from. It did help to not close the bedroom door but my daughter complained about the tv show my wife and I were watching being to loud for her to hear Disney. Thanks for any input or suggestions.
Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix
I have used my coach where I needed heat from the furnace. Dry camping. Two questions. 1. I was told by lazydays service that I should not expect the house batteries to run the furnace all night. I have never had a coach where this was a problem even with less battery size. I ran nothing else but an iPhone and iPad charger. Shouldn't these house batteries run all night? 2. And most important. It seemed as if the bedroom did not warm very well. I felt very little heat going thru the floor duct in the bedroom and actually felt very little air flow thru the front vents. Do others have this problem? Has anyone found a fix as I us my coach in cold weather. I even wondered if my floor duct work might have something in the duct work blocking the air flow. Anyone that has any suggestions or resolution to this problem I wold like to her from. It did help to not close the bedroom door but my daughter complained about the tv show my wife and I were watching being to loud for her to hear Disney. Thanks for any input or suggestions.
Early on we noticed the same thing. There was no furnace heat flowing to the front. When I took it to the dealer they found that the duct wasn't attached. I'd have to say that the furnace may be a little undersized, in my opinion. Regarding the batteries, I don't think you were told correct info. Those are pretty stout units in your MH with quite a lot of capacity. I've never tried to run the furnace all night long but I think they could make it. When we turn in for the night we always turn our furnace off.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Regarding batteries, I think it depends on how much stuff you have on. There are a lot of halogen lights in the coach, if many are on, this can be a pretty big drain on batteries, refrigerator if not on propane will draw power, You mentioned TV, if both are on these will be drawing, probably a receiver and satellite dish too. I've noticed that even setting with nothing on there is still a number of sources drawing power. I've even turned off the switch to house batteries and still can hear some electrical switches and maybe inverter fan, can't remember for sure. I plan to swap out some of the halogens for led's to see if that can make a difference. I've pulled batteries down to 1/3 with an overnight stop but wasn't trying to conserve because I didn't realize how fast they can be drained. We used the coach in winter and heater seemed to be fine.
We just completed our 4th trip in our Vesta, about 1500 miles through NE New Mexico and central and sw colorado. We pulled 8 mountain passes. Regarding the steeper taller passes, the coach could use more power when pulling a 3500 pound Jeep. Without the jeep power seems to be adequate. Also an engine brake would be nice. Even using the transmission to control downhill speed, considerable braking was required, but we never got in trouble as we negotiated the passes. Fuel economy was 9.2 mpg with the jeep in tow for most of the miles, a hefty sidewind/ headwind for most of the 500 mile trip home. The passes had a major impact on the fuel economy. This is about 10 to 20% worse than we had experienced on more flat land trips. We also experienced a failure of the driver windshield wiper. Monaco air shipped one while we were in Denver and had it repaired before we went onto the mountains. Thanks to Monaco for expediting that.
Regarding the regen light. I see a flicker of the regen icon fairly frequently maybe every 20 to 50 miles. The mountain passes seem to cause it more frequently. It's never asked for a manual regeneration, but I guess i need to be prepared.
We've had the Vesta for almost a year, It has about 6500 miles on it. Overall we are pleased with it. It seems that every trip we learn a few new things about it.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #48

For those interested, I'm posting a pic of the Vesta air box from the bottom with the new fresh air hose attached. I highly recommend this mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2494788414.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	25340  
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #49

Thanks to everyone for posting all the experiences you have had with your Vestas. I just bought a 2011 Vesta 32pbs and plan to take delivery of it in a few days. I bought the coach used and it has just 9K miles -- it appears to be in great shape .... I'm looking forward to ejoying it for many years to come.

While searching for information about the Vesta model, I came across a sales ad that claimed that this one particular 2011 Vesta for sale had "Updated Engine Codes to increase Horsepower from 260 hp to a massive 300 hp and puts out 660 lbs/ft of torque." (see Motorhome | Gone With the Wynns)
Is this some sort of ECU upgrade? Is it a factory issued option? Is it a lot of hooey?
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter
Thanks to everyone for posting all the experiences you have had with your Vestas. I just bought a 2011 Vesta 32pbs and plan to take delivery of it in a few days. I bought the coach used and it has just 9K miles -- it appears to be in great shape .... I'm looking forward to ejoying it for many years to come.

While searching for information about the Vesta model, I came across a sales ad that claimed that this one particular 2011 Vesta for sale had "Updated Engine Codes to increase Horsepower from 260 hp to a massive 300 hp and puts out 660 lbs/ft of torque." (see Motorhome | Gone With the Wynns)
Is this some sort of ECU upgrade? Is it a factory issued option? Is it a lot of hooey?
If true it would be great, but unfortunately it's apparently not true. I saw the same ad and called Monaco. Monaco knew nothing about this upgrade so they referred me to Navistar. Same puzzled response there when I talked to them. Navistar told me that it would take far more than updated codes to produce that kind of power increase. As I understand it the Wynn's MH ultimately was not upgraded and the horsepower reference was scrubbed from the ad.
That said, welcome to Vesta ownership. We like ours very much.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
If true it would be great, but unfortunately it's apparently not true. I saw the same ad and called Monaco. Monaco knew nothing about this upgrade so they referred me to Navistar. Same puzzled response there when I talked to them. Navistar told me that it would take far more than updated codes to produce that kind of power increase. As I understand it the Wynn's MH ultimately was not upgraded and the horsepower reference was scrubbed from the ad.
That said, welcome to Vesta ownership. We like ours very much.
Interesting...... if you look at Monaco's recently updated 2012 Vesta webpage, the exact same performance specs as the Wynnmobile are quoted:

Monaco Coach - vesta --- then click "Standards and Options", then click "Chassis and Engine Specs"

If I remember correctly, the 2011 Monaco Vesta specs quoted 200 or 220 HP....
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #52

Quote:

Interesting...... if you look at Monaco's recently updated 2012 Vesta webpage, the exact same performance specs as the Wynnmobile are quoted:

Monaco Coach - vesta --- then click "Standards and Options", then click "Chassis and Engine Specs"

If I remember correctly, the 2011 Monaco Vesta specs quoted 200 or 220 HP....
Your 2011 Vesta is rated at 260 hp and 660 ft lbs torque.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #53

I've seen 200, 220, and now 260HP figures for the 2011 Vesta.... I think that I will just accept "it is what it is" for now......
Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #54

Quote:
I've seen 200, 220, and now 260HP figures for the 2011 Vesta.... I think that I will just accept "it is what it is" for now......
I doubt that you have seen less than 260 hp on any 2011Vesta. What you probably have seen is that other manufacturers are using the MF7 engine in their MHs and those units are producing less than 260. I think the Allegro Breeze, for example boasts a MF7 putting out 215hp but the same torque@660.
You, of course rightly point out that the Navistar MF7 engines have a range of hp ratings up to 300.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Didn't some of the later Vistas have a turbo brake? deSanford..PS I met the Wynn's at Pacifica, San Francisco a year ago. They were very happy with their MH.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford
Didn't some of the later Vistas have a turbo brake? deSanford..PS I met the Wynn's at Pacifica, San Francisco a year ago. They were very happy with their MH.
The new 2012 300hp Vesta is now equipped with an exhaust brake. Earlier models are not so equipped.

Tags
monaco