Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #617

cuba-doug,

Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts and experience in writing. This will definitely help me make the right derision.

So what do you think would be a killer deal foe 2011 32' with 18k miles? Obviously I have my eyes on one...
Globecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #618

I don't think I would be comfortable giving my opinion of value on this forum for obvious reasons. Is it listed on line where I can look at it? I had a red one that I traded in Arizona, but I could swear that I saw it for sale in Michigan. When they came out the awnings were the color of the upper paint. Monaco replaced my first awning with a black one that was on upper white pant. A rule of thumb is to go to nada and not add any of the options on. Take the low retail and multiply by .75. This should get you close to what a dealer would give. I am not an appraiser or a dealer and as I said rule of thumb. Someone else may use a different thumb.
cuba-doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globecruiser View Post
cuba-doug,

Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts and experience in writing. This will definitely help me make the right derision.

So what do you think would be a killer deal foe 2011 32' with 18k miles? Obviously I have my eyes on one...
Hard to say, but you can figure that the original buyer has absorbed a really big hit on value so that puts you in a good position to make a good deal. Was the Vesta overpriced? Probably. But you can tell by looking at it that it has many upscale features. Regarding the fact it's an orphan and no longer in production might be a deterrent but keep I mind that all motorhomes are low volume products essentially hand built custom jobs.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #620

Monaco Owners Club
I must agree with Cuba-Doug, what you would consider a killer deal may not be to someone else. The DW and I looked long and hard at what was out there before we bought ours, I would suggest that anyone looking to buy do the same.
jfleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
I really did drive it 150 miles with no air suspension. All interstate never over 50. It was a Saturday night and I knew I was going to get no help till Monday morning. My wife had to be at work at 7am and daughter to school. I would never recommend what I did. It really was dangerous. Even slowing down for the bridge junctions, I would start bouncing to the point of having to get down to about 30. I have gone thru a lot of diagnosis myself and must now take to truck garage. Over my head. Determined it is a communication problem with the system. Even though I have a warranty with 50 deductible I was being hard headed trying to fix it myself. I was very surprised how receptive the international truck dealer was about working on it. In the old days it seemed truck shops wanted nothing to do with you when you said MH. I don't have a MH dealer near me and it's a real hassle so I usually try to do things myself. I'm just getting to old to be crawling around under the coach. I will say that Valid tech guy was very happy to help me when I was trying to fix it myself. One thing I found strange is that the rear selionoids tested at 10.5 and all six front ones tested at 20.2 ohms. Once I get mine fixed ill post if there us anything I think will pertain to everyone.
Delacroix,

Gosh, must of been quite a ride w/o the air suspension! Mine has so little clearance around the wheel wells with no air that I'd have been worried about tire/coach contact!

Let us know how this works out. For others, the service guy at Valid Manufacturing (also relabelled as "Power Gear" on some coaches), as of last April, is Dan North, a very friendly, helpful guy! I visited the factory on my way home with the new coach...mostly to have them convince me that the air levelling was working properly since it had had some "issues" prior to delivery. His number is: 250-832-6477. Home - Valid Manufacturing.

Cheers,
tfw
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #622

Quote:
Hello everybody,

Been reading all 44 pages... there are many things I like about the Vesta but sure worry about the things that seem to go wrong and the fact that is an orphan model now.

Knowing what you know now, would you buy an new one?

If you had to buy a used unit, what are the things to look for?

Little about myself... Me and my wife are 55 years old that suffer a recent tragedy and looking to get way... a home away from home... 1-2 weeks long trips and long weekends. dry camping and hooked up... maybe half and half...
I am an hands on engineer that can make/fix stuff

Hope to be an active member, and thanks a lot for your help.
Cuba-doug has summed it up pretty well! I would add the following comment: Reading a forum like this tends to skew one's perception a bit since this is where we come to seek solutions to our problems or just "bitch" about them. I think we're fortunate to have a group of owners here that share experiences, provide heads-up and offer solutions. Rarely does anyone come on this or similar fora to announce that they have had six months of trouble-free RV'ing...and anyone who does is probably fibbing in my experience. You do need to look for a trend of horror stories...problems that can't seem to be fixed, lemon law claims etc.. No matter what coach you buy, you will be able to find unhappy owners somewhere here on the 'net.

I got my 35' in April and have put about 1000mi on it on several short trips and I've made a point of pushing every button, trying every system. Several of the problems I thought I had were actually features revealed by reading the manual or doing a bit of research online. Will be heading south shortly for the winter sojourn and will stop on the way at the factory service centre in Oregon to deal with the warranty issues...about a dozen of them, and none of them "life threatening" thus far.

So far, there's a lot I like about this coach...the size...the layout..the appearance...the idea that it's a bit more fuel efficient...the way it handles, but not the way it rides. Will be doing the REK mod to hopefully fix the ride part which really is my only major issue at this point.

At this stage of my experience I can't offer a recommendation on whether to buy-in or not. I think I'll know better after the winter down south and a bunch more miles.

For now, if you're liking the coach, check around the online asking prices, use our experience here, and offer accordingly.

Cheers,
tfw
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #623

Monaco Owners Club
In addition to the most recent commentaries , I would add that on the 2011 check to insure the inverter breaker was changed from 12 to 15 amp. That was a common problem and I think was addressed with a recall. The economy mode for the Allison was also addressed through recall. Both of these are discussed in earlier pages of this thread. For the uses that you describe which is also how we use ours, we find the 32 foot vesta to be quite comfortable. Even after 2 week outings we are still not anxious to get home, but must due to obligations. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #624

Globecruiser

I have just read all the responses to your question about buying a Vesta. I also think that Cubadoug did a great job of writing about the ownership of a motorhome. I have had MH since the mid 70's. I have owned the cheapest of used units to an actual bus conversion. Even with the "few" problems I have had I think the vesta is a very nice compromise between upscale and functional. I have complained and said I was going back to a more expensive coach but when I think about it rationally I would rather have this coach and some money in my pocket. If you want high end, go to foretravel. Buy one that is 3-5 yrs old. The advice about buying used is totally correct. Even if you have money to burn why not do it on fuel instead. I must say that I truly enjoy driving a MH and traveling in one. It's nice to just head down the road and stop when you like and where you like. You do need to put together a modest tool kit. I showed dogs and used to claim I had driven over 1M miles in MH but sat down one day and calculated it and it was closer to 500-600K. I have more enjoyment in MH than almost anything. Two things that I would suggest on the Vesta. 1. A sleep number bed. Camping world has them on sale pretty often. I had to stop practicing because of severe arthritis and this bed is a must. 2. I have mainly dry camped. Add about 40-50 gallon extra water tank. Put a easy on-off value on shower that let's your water stay adjusted and learn to take a third world shower. I started out to buy the 32' and was going to put water tank in the large rear storage. Changed to the 35' and had it place in bottom of closet and then covered with a build in. If finances allow I would make the REK a third item to add. I am one that has had this done and it made a tremendous difference in the ride.
I also have found this group of people to be great in trying to help each other out when anyone has a problem with the coach.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #625

Thank you all for the great response and this amazing support. I think the next thing I'd like to do is locate a 32 footer in the Tucson area so I can see it first hand and not from pictures.

D.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #626

We have a 2012 Monaco Vesta 32PBS and are very happy with it.
We are not concerned that it is now an orphan as there are many other brands out there that are now orphans. We originally got interested in the Vesta / Trip when the model year 2011 came out. Then we heard that the 2012 was going to have some enhancements (exhaust brake, 300 horse power, 200 amp alternator, 2000 watt inverter and cable operated slide-out) so we decide to wait / special order a 2012 Vesta 32.
We are very satisfied with our Vesta and full time in it.
It's unfortunate that Monaco decided to discontinue it as it well built and handles good. We did opt to have the Ride Enhancement Kit installed and are very satisfied with it.
Jim Dion 2012 Vesta 32
JamesJDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #627

Thanks for an upbeat positive thinking post. It is refreshing. I received my REK last night, and hope the mechanic will be able to install it shortly.
cuba-doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #628

Does anybody know of a comparison between the Vensa 32PBS and the Avanti 3106?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #629

Quote:
Does anybody know of a comparison between the Vensa 32PBS and the Avanti 3106?

Thanks.
I don't really know, other than they are both FREDs. There really isn't much of a comparison beyond that, the Vesta is just a lot nicer in my opinion.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #630

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the Vista and Trip may become the Gullwing (Mercedes 1956 era) of the RV industry like the GMC RV is or was. deSanford PS IMHO it is that good looking and somewhat practical.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco