RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #701

Monaco Owners Club
Hello,

I had problems last April when my Vesta was "upgraded" to version 1.2. The engine brake and the Allison downshift did not work after the update. It took the dealer three days working with Navistar to get it working again - and this was when Navistar owned Monaco. Luckily I was at home - so no real inconvenience. I'm concerned how the same situation would be handled today with Monaco no longer part of Navistar - especially when considering what Wilco1 experienced - and still not totally resolved.

Based on my experience - there's no way I will allow another engine upgrade until I'm certain everything is good to go. I'll go to a non-Navistar dealer for service when needed.

The engine runs at least 10 degrees hotter since the update, which has not been a problem - but the engine fan does run more often when driving in high temperatures. I don't know if the recall is the same thing - but to date I have not received a notice - we'll see.

I've experienced zero problems with the engine - the HEST light flashes sometimes enroute or will light when stopped - but no issues after 27k miles.

Jon Barnes
2012 Vesta 32'

Jon Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #702

Recall

I have received no recall. Someone mentioned that the rig couldn't be registered in CA if this wasn't done. Is it only units in CA that are being issued this recall? I haven't really paid attention to where people live. I live in WV. My rig was running good except for losing my air suspension on my last long trip. I do continue to get a yellow triangle almost any time I use my exhaust brake for very long but I just ignore it and it eventually goes off. I appreciate everyone posting about the recall and potential issues.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #703

Monaco Owners Club
I got the recall in the mail yesterday and live in TN. I'm not going to be in a hurry to go have this done because its running just fine.
jfleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
Taking the Vesta in on Weds. for the recall. Westrux says there should be no effect on performance. Hope they are right, we'll see. I'm going to have them change the oil too while it's there.
If you wouldn't mind, could you please take note of who you talk to at Westrux when you go in? If your experience is positive, I'd like to be sure I deal with the same people and follow the same route you did -- I don't want to endure a nightmare like some of the others on this forum have described this upgrade to be. Thanks, VestaDave -- and good luck.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post

If you wouldn't mind, could you please take note of who you talk to at Westrux when you go in? If your experience is positive, I'd like to be sure I deal with the same people and follow the same route you did -- I don't want to endure a nightmare like some of the others on this forum have described this upgrade to be. Thanks, VestaDave -- and good luck.
Will do. Call me an optimist but I think it's going to be ok. Besides as a California resident I have no choice. I guess I could move but I don't want to.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #706

Engine Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Barnes View Post
Hello,

I had problems last April when my Vesta was "upgraded" to version 1.2. The engine brake and the Allison downshift did not work after the update. It took the dealer three days working with Navistar to get it working again - and this was when Navistar owned Monaco. Luckily I was at home - so no real inconvenience. I'm concerned how the same situation would be handled today with Monaco no longer part of Navistar - especially when considering what Wilco1 experienced - and still not totally resolved.

Based on my experience - there's no way I will allow another engine upgrade until I'm certain everything is good to go. I'll go to a non-Navistar dealer for service when needed.

The engine runs at least 10 degrees hotter since the update, which has not been a problem - but the engine fan does run more often when driving in high temperatures. I don't know if the recall is the same thing - but to date I have not received a notice - we'll see.

I've experienced zero problems with the engine - the HEST light flashes sometimes enroute or will light when stopped - but no issues after 27k miles.

Jon Barnes
2012 Vesta 32'
Well Jon and I have seemed to have experienced identical problems with the last engine "reflash" and mine aren't totally resolved yet (EB is working but no display on the tranny pad and no brake lights and still get random flashes of the DPF lights). The engine seems to be running well over the last 1000 mi on the road and getting 10.4 mpg towing in mountainous/hilly terrain.

I believe this "recall" is new and different from what Jon and I had done based on some info I got from the service rep at Monaco (gossip-level) to the effect that there would be a "major update" coming out from Navistar in Feb. This seems to have come true. You can find out the state of your engine software by calling Navistar or any Navistar/International dealer and providing your "chassis number" which should be in your docs somewhere and is in format "c12345678". They should be able to tell you whether you "need" an upgrade or not.

For Jon, (gossip level) you may not need to worry about going back to your International dealer. The shop in Oregon called your shop seeking enlightenment on the problem I was having, and whoever they talked to offered no solution and opined that they would no longer be working on motorhomes.

For the brave who have some time available and for those in CA who have no choice,...go for it but please let us know how it works out!

I'll call Navistar again tomorrow for a progress report on the solution to my problem (My request was for them to research the issue and get back to me with a solution before I allowed another "reflash"). We'll see how that goes and I'll report back.
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #707

Monaco Owners Club
I spoke with Navistar this morning - and he does not show a recall on my Navistar engine. Perhaps I misunderstood - but he said any recalls pertaining to my coach would be issued from Monaco - not Navistar. He implied that recall notices possibly originating from Navistar may apply to non-coach applications only.

He indicated my system software is called "XPO" and he said there are no recalls listed for this engine calibration. He agreed that there had been several issues related to the brake/transmission issue - called the MPV valve on their end - and this is an ongoing issue not totally resolved yet.

His advice to me was - if your coach is running well - I would not do anything.

Please don't read that I'm suggesting you should or should not do anything - but for me - I'm not doing any updates unless the engine is dead in the water.

Jon Barnes
2012 Vesta 32'
Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #708

Quote:
I spoke with Navistar this morning - and he does not show a recall on my Navistar engine. Perhaps I misunderstood - but he said any recalls pertaining to my coach would be issued from Monaco - not Navistar. He implied that recall notices possibly originating from Navistar may apply to non-coach applications only.

He indicated my system software is called "XPO" and he said there are no recalls listed for this engine calibration. He agreed that there had been several issues related to the brake/transmission issue - called the MPV valve on their end - and this is an ongoing issue not totally resolved yet.

His advice to me was - if your coach is running well - I would not do anything.

Please don't read that I'm suggesting you should or should not do anything - but for me - I'm not doing any updates unless the engine is dead in the water.

Jon Barnes
2012 Vesta 32'
Jon, whoever you spoke with was wrong. This recall is from Navistar not Monaco. I agree that if you can avoid this by all means do so. FYI its recall #13506 for Prostar, Terrastar, and our Vesta. This notice is on Navistar letterhead and signed by Navistar.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #709

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Jon, whoever you spoke with was wrong. This recall is from Navistar not Monaco. I agree that if you can avoid this by all means do so. FYI its recall #13506 for Prostar, Terrastar, and our Vesta. This notice is on Navistar letterhead and signed by Navistar.
Hi VestaDave,

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate it!

I'm not certain - this may be a duplicate post - I hope not!

I'm not surprised by your recall information. Sort of shows that when it comes to our coaches - the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing at Navistar. This is why I'm cautious about engine recalibration.

Please be assured - I'm not trying to talk anyone out of doing anything. I'm just saying those of us with the engine brake may have issues similar to what a couple of us have experienced on this site - so be prepared.

The Navistar guy indicated that based on my VIN - my engine is not part of a recall - so I don't know.

I'm hoping those with the recall notice get a problem free engine recalibration, which would bode well for the rest of us!

I'm just saying - that based on my personal experience - I'm not in a hurry to have Navistar dink with the engine again - unless I'm dead in the water somewhere! (Smile)

Jon Barnes
2012 Vesta 32'
Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #710

Quote:

Hi VestaDave,

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate it!

I'm not certain - this may be a duplicate post - I hope not!

I'm not surprised by your recall information. Sort of shows that when it comes to our coaches - the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing at Navistar. This is why I'm cautious about engine recalibration.

Please be assured - I'm not trying to talk anyone out of doing anything. I'm just saying those of us with the engine brake may have issues similar to what a couple of us have experienced on this site - so be prepared.

The Navistar guy indicated that based on my VIN - my engine is not part of a recall - so I don't know.

I'm hoping those with the recall notice get a problem free engine recalibration, which would bode well for the rest of us!

I'm just saying - that based on my personal experience - I'm not in a hurry to have Navistar dink with the engine again - unless I'm dead in the water somewhere! (Smile)

Jon Barnes
2012 Vesta 32'
Since I think you may have had your coach in already perhaps this update has already been done on yours. Maybe? In other words they haven't messed mine up yet. It does appear, at least so far that those of you with exhaust brakes have had more difficulty with the ECM. Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems that way.That said, I still wish we had an exhaust brake on ours because it would come in very handy on mountain roads.
I'll post my experience on weds. I'll also remind myself to check stuff such turn signals, brake lights, etc before I leave the shop.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #711

Quote:

Since I think you may have had your coach in already perhaps this update has already been done on yours. Maybe? In other words they haven't messed mine up yet. It does appear, at least so far that those of you with exhaust brakes have had more difficulty with the ECM. Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems that way.That said, I still wish we had an exhaust brake on ours because it would come in very handy on mountain roads.
I'll post my experience on weds. I'll also remind myself to check stuff such turn signals, brake lights, etc before I leave the shop.
Ok, got the recall done , no problem everything seems to be fine. Of course I only drove it about 10 miles back to our storage area so something could pop up later. There was a noticeable fuel odor in the coach. They may have spilled some fuel when they changed the filters, I'll keep an eye on that if it doesn't go away. I had them do service while I was there in addition to the recall.
They told me that the DMV was noticed electronically but they provided a certificate for my records. I can't tell you who to deal with at Westrux because I was helped by three different guys. They all seemed to know about the update and were reassuring.
I'm glad it's done.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #712

Monaco Owners Club
Good to hear that it went well!
jfleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #713

Thanks for the update, VestaDave. I feel much more at ease about getting it done, now. I think I'll have them service the fuel filters and change the oil while I'm there, too.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #714

Auto start for generator

I purchased the auto start unit and the wiring harness from PPL. It was actually drop shipped from Cummins. The installation was not that bad. Anyone with some experience doing things on their own coach can do it. I actually spent more time figuring out the directions and where I wanted to install the module that is wired to the generator harness than doing the work. There were two "extra" wires that are not mentioned in the instructions and I spent some time on telephone with support figuring out what to do with them. They finally gave me the number for factory in IN where it's made and I was advised that these wires are for use in another application. It would have been nice if manual would have stated this. It's what I figured but I didn't want to do install twice. It required crawling around under the area of the generator. I can just barely fit. I got the inside part "wireless"unit programmed today again with help from IN. Gentleman told me that most people have to call about programming as the manual leaves a lot to desire. It works well in testing. Of course it's to cold here to test if temp inside will turn it on. All of the testing that manual states works great. You can actually program the amount of battery drain prior to unit turning on generator. Tech advised me to leave it in the default settings and that after about two weeks of use that units learns your use cycles and adjusts itself. I'm really glad it was mentioned on here. I have always been afraid to take a dog with me because of heat. Also it seems to take forever to cool when it's 90 and you have been away for a few hours. My install experience would leave me to recommend it to anyone that wants this feature. I can't say it works as advertised yet.

Tags
monaco