Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #715

Fuel filter change

Has anyone changed their own fuel filter and water separator on the maxforce 7 engine yet. I usually do this stuff myself and went and bought the stuff at Navistar. I then googled to read to see if there was anything special in doing it. I had planned on filling the filter with fuel and just replacing. Every where I read it makes it sound like you can mess things up. Mainly sediment into injectors and problems priming. If some has done this themselves please post as to if there is anything out of the ordinary. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
Has anyone changed their own fuel filter and water separator on the maxforce 7 engine yet. I usually do this stuff myself and went and bought the stuff at Navistar. I then googled to read to see if there was anything special in doing it. I had planned on filling the filter with fuel and just replacing. Every where I read it makes it sound like you can mess things up. Mainly sediment into injectors and problems priming. If some has done this themselves please post as to if there is anything out of the ordinary. Thanks
Haven't done it myself but check out Utube because I've seen a step by step video on what I think was the MF. It might have been a 6.4 powerstroke but I'd guess it's pretty much the same. And yes, there's cause to be careful. Check it out.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #717

Long Trip

Just returned from a 3,800 mile trip to Arizona, Nevada etc. I am happy to report absolutely no issues. The REK makes a big difference in the ride. Since I am now pulling a full size crew cab pickup with a 1,000 pound ATV my fuel mileage is down to 9.4. from 10.2. I am also driving a few miles an hour faster than before. Now 65 to 67. I did not have a Hest light until the last few hundred miles. I filled up at a station that said the fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol. And it was after a few miles when the hest light flashed and it flashed less than a half a dozen times after that. I did not notice any of the other diesel pumps having this message. I also called Navistar about the ECM recall and told them that there had been several issues reported on our thread about owners having their electronics tampered with. She said her office was not aware of any of this. She also said that mine had already been done last August when I had it at an International dealer in Jefferson City Mo. So I evidently did not have any problems with this update.
cuba-doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #718

Hey Doug,
Was great to see you at Q. Apologies to Shirley whose eyes glazed over as we prattled on about our coach stuff.. Glad you had safe and uneventful trip home.Still on the road with a month or two to go.Coach is working well. Still better than a cute puppy for meeting folks...there has to be market for these things if they could work out the bugs and get the price right.

Cheers,
Tom
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #719

Emissions recall

Having read that someone found out their recall was done at an earlier time, I decided to call Navistar to check on mine. They had done mine on July 22, 2013 when I was in for the flashing yellow triangle. I wasn't even told they did it. I must say I experienced no problems. I have the exhaust brake and mine is a 35' model. I just called the number on the letter that came with the recall card. If you have had your coach to a Navistar dealer in the last 8 months or so you probably had it done without even being told.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #720

cuba-doug,
Just wondering how much does your crew cab truck weigh?

Also what speed do you drop down to when going up hills?

Jim Dion
2012 Vesta 32
JamesJDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #721

Truck is 5,400 pounds, ATV is 978 pounds. With fuel and accessories I am right at the 7,000 pound mark verified at weight scale. The gear drop naturally depends on the length and grade of the hill. It is not uncomfortable even in the Rockies.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #722

I too have recently purchased a new 2012 Vesta 35PBD coach. i would like to know if you have any information regarding the retro kit addressing the airbags and shocks?

2012 vesta 35pbd
no tow
Lancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #723

Welcome aboard. The REK helps the ride tremendously. If you just purchased your coach I would advise you to read the entire monaco vesta forum. We have all had similar experiences and is a good way to learn about your coach.

Good Luck
Old 03-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #724

Air filter change

Has anyone changed out the air filter themselves? If you have, was it difficult and did you keep info on part number of air filter? I just recently was going to change the fuel filters my self and went to Navistar and bought what they said I needed and found out I had the wrong kit. I took everything back and had their mechanic change them and he told me that there were many different fuel filters for this engine. Depends on what vehicle is designed to do. I just assumed that all maxforce 7 engines would use same filter. They were nice enough to refund what I had purchased and only charged me $22 labor to do job. If it's easy to change air filter I would prefer to do myself but would like to have part when I start. Thanks for any info someone can provide.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #725

Air filter

I went to work on this earlier today and it's not hard to change other than crawling under the coach. The part number in our owners manual is not correct. I contacted the manufactor of filter and they were able to give me the international part number and then convert to their number. The retail on the international is $147 and if you buy the OEM part on line from truck web site with shipping it's about half. I don't have actual part number with me right now but will post it and the truckers web site later tonight. I found it on eBay for the same discounted price.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #726

Air filter

Page 220 of owners manual calls for Donaldson P610788 air filter as primary. That is incorrect. Donaldson gave me the following numbers that are correct. International part number is 2591005C1. The after market filter made by Donaldson is P608666. I ended up paying 75.21 with two day shipping. The international one was 181.85 before sales tax!! The secondary filter"safety filter" is correctly listed in the manual. P601560. Donaldson told me the number in our manual must be a misprint as they find no reference that it ever existed. International say that number corresponds to a wheel bearing. Don't know if anyone else changes their own filters but there is the info.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #727

Yellow triangle and exhaust brake

I just drove 1000 miles this weekend thru mountains so WV and MD. I had previously stopped using my exhaust brake because it seemed to trigger the yellow triangle. This weekend I did not have my wife and daughter with me so I figured if I was to break down it was the time to do it. I used the exhaust brake a lot as there of lots of long steep grades on this drive. I noted that the yellow triangle ALWAYS came on about 15 seconds after turning on the exhaust brake. It would originally go off on it own after about 45 seconds. Then the yellow triangle started staying on until the exhaust brake was turned off. Finally the yellow triangle would stay on until the engine was turn off and back on again. This occurred the last two times of use. Has anyone else noted the yellow triangle correlated to the exhaust brake? I did not notice the regen light coming on. I think I understand how the exhaust brake works but I wonder how it would effect the DPF system. Does anyone know? I wonder if this yellow triangle should just be ignored? That's what I've been doing. Any thoughts?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #728

Monaco Owners Club
Hello,

I've never had the yellow triangle light - and I keep the exhaust brake engaged practically all the time. Your issue is a true mystery to me - wish I could assist - but I can't - good luck!

Jon Barnes
2012 Vesta 32'
Jon Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco