Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #687

Vesta-Dave

I had to replace my batteries last fall. I think they were allowed to dry out from the factory prior to my taking delivery. That is in the past thou. It was not simple to get the batteries out. I had to take all the stuff in front of them loose and then turn them on their side to slide them out. There is definitely not room for more batteries in this compartment! They are not lite in weight. The interstate battery store I went to did not have the exact one in stock and he showed me the calculation on additional run time so I took the next size down. The were just short enough to slide back in without tipping them over. If you want the exact battery model I'll get it off them for you. I've been pleased in comparison to what came with the rig. I kept posting asking on here about power management and came to find out my batteries were ruined!! I also priced the sealed ones and the guy talked me out of them. He said we had a pretty nice and easy set up for getting water into them and the sealed ones were more than double in price. I went in with the idea of purchasing the sealed ones. I often run out of battery power and that is why I was thinking of adding a couple of batteries and an auto start. Did you look into how the wireless auto start is installed?? That would be of interest to me. We almost always dry camp. I have no problem with running the generator, but I occasionally get people with larger units with more battery power bitching because of the noise.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
I had to replace my batteries last fall. I think they were allowed to dry out from the factory prior to my taking delivery. That is in the past thou. It was not simple to get the batteries out. I had to take all the stuff in front of them loose and then turn them on their side to slide them out. There is definitely not room for more batteries in this compartment! They are not lite in weight. The interstate battery store I went to did not have the exact one in stock and he showed me the calculation on additional run time so I took the next size down. The were just short enough to slide back in without tipping them over. If you want the exact battery model I'll get it off them for you. I've been pleased in comparison to what came with the rig. I kept posting asking on here about power management and came to find out my batteries were ruined!! I also priced the sealed ones and the guy talked me out of them. He said we had a pretty nice and easy set up for getting water into them and the sealed ones were more than double in price. I went in with the idea of purchasing the sealed ones. I often run out of battery power and that is why I was thinking of adding a couple of batteries and an auto start. Did you look into how the wireless auto start is installed?? That would be of interest to me. We almost always dry camp. I have no problem with running the generator, but I occasionally get people with larger units with more battery power bitching because of the noise.
Thanks for the info. Mine are still fine but I like to plan ahead.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #689

It appears to be a very easy install.
Google EC-30W and a link to the '(pdf) Owners Manual' should appear and it explains the installation.
Also if you toggle down a little you will see '(pdf) Download EC-30W information sheet'

The part number is 018-03000
and the 'Y' Harness for Diesal Generators is 044-00088
Jim Dion 2012 Vesta 32
JamesJDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #690

Vesta Dave

I also originally had battery issues and fund out my batteries were cracked. Monaco replaced
The batteries.
cuba-doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #691

JamesJDion

Thanks for info on the wireless auto start. I ordered it today from PPL. Will take a few days to get it and will try to get it installed within the next couple of weeks. Don't know if ill add batteries or not. This should keep batteries from ever running down. I'll post after I have it installed as to how hard of a job it was and how it works.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #692

Newmar Owners Club
Just got a new recall in the mail. They are going to recalibrate the engine ECM software "To prevent down time due to Particulate Filter overload, resulting in frequent exhaust system regeneration events." Should I be scared to let them do this? Anyone had this done without screwing up everything else??
simplexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #693

Number of Vestas and Trips

I sent an email to Monaco asking how many Vestas and Tips were made on 2011 and 2012 and received th following reply:

I do not have exact production #s (maybe try sales? mccsales@monacorv.com ) but there were approximately 30 Trips and 90 Vestas built in 2011 model year and 20 Trips/60 Vestas in 2012.

Frank Phillips
Technical Advisor

I sent the same request to Sales but haven't heard from them yet.

Jim Dion 2012 Vesta 32
JamesJDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #694

Engine Reflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexguy View Post
Just got a new recall in the mail. They are going to recalibrate the engine ECM software "To prevent down time due to Particulate Filter overload, resulting in frequent exhaust system regeneration events." Should I be scared to let them do this? Anyone had this done without screwing up everything else??
If you've read my earlier post on this subject, you can see some of the potential pitfalls. If you have a 2011 coach, you won't have to worry about the exhaust brake issue that was my major problem. They seem to be able to resolve the other issues in relatively short order.

I called the Navistar Customer Service Rep for the NW and impressed on him that I wouldn't go thru my experience again until someone assured me that they had researched the problem and had come up with a better solution than apparently trying random things over a period of seven work days! I haven't heard back from him as yet but will be calling again soon. They have at least two cases to work with, mine and Jon Barnes, both of which they are aware of and should provide some clues....though based on my observation, perhaps to the terminally clueless.

If you are not having any issues with the DPF at this point, I would be reluctant to do this, particularly if you have a 2012.

Cheers,
tfw

2012 Vesta 35
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco1 View Post

If you've read my earlier post on this subject, you can see some of the potential pitfalls. If you have a 2011 coach, you won't have to worry about the exhaust brake issue that was my major problem. They seem to be able to resolve the other issues in relatively short order.

I called the Navistar Customer Service Rep for the NW and impressed on him that I wouldn't go thru my experience again until someone assured me that they had researched the problem and had come up with a better solution than apparently trying random things over a period of seven work days! I haven't heard back from him as yet but will be calling again soon. They have at least two cases to work with, mine and Jon Barnes, both of which they are aware of and should provide some clues....though based on my observation, perhaps to the terminally clueless.

If you are not having any issues with the DPF at this point, I would be reluctant to do this, particularly if you have a 2012.

Cheers,
tfw

2012 Vesta 35
Just received the notice today for the recall. I would like very much to not do it but the notice clearly states that those of us who live in California will be unable to register the coach without proof that this has been done. The Vesta is running super now and I really hate messing with it. We have never had a problem with the DPF so.... It's off to Westrux in Colton.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
Just received the notice today for the recall. I would like very much to not do it but the notice clearly states that those of us who live in California will be unable to register the coach without proof that this has been done. The Vesta is running super now and I really hate messing with it. We have never had a problem with the DPF so.... It's off to Westrux in Colton.
This was part of what I discussed with Navistar...that a mandatory update would come along and that we'd all be driven like sheep to "reflash hell". I'll touch base with Navistar again to see if there has been any progress on the issue.
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #697

Newmar Owners Club
When I bring up my reluctance about having the recall preformed, the local Navastar dealer tells me they have never heard of any problems and this is the "First" time they have heard of anyone experiencing problems. Doesn't help with the confidence factor that they have never even heard of any problems!!.
simplexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #698

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I just received mine too. Have same concerns about having it done. Our coach is running good. Just completed 3000 mile trip to Florida and back. No issues, averaged 10.6 mpg on the entire trip pulling the Jeep Wrangler. I did discover my propane fuel gauge doesn't work, always shows full. I need to address that. Only complaint was the Louisiana highways, they are really bad. It really got me thinking about the REK and cost vs benefit. We got stuck in 3 hour traffic jam on I 12 at Baton Rouge due to snow and ice. I was concerned about idling the coach that much, but we never had an issue. I saw about 5 DPF yellow flicker lights on entire trip, but never saw the yellow triangle.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #699

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJDion View Post
For your INFO:
I sent the following to Monaco:

From what I've heard I guess the Vesta is HISTORY.
It's unfortunate as we think it is a great coach and no matter where we travel we always get plenty of inquires and positive comments. Most people like the appearance and the quality.
Maybe you can incorporate some of the suggestions below in any new offerings

VESTA 32 PBS SUGGESTED CHANGES

We really like the size of our Vesta - 96" wide 11' 7" high and 33' 7" long.
And have made some of the following suggested changes.
Note that we are full timers and downsized from a 40' motorhome.

Redesign the front console / cup holders to allow storage under it.
Maybe all that is needed is a fold down door that would allow access.

Relocate outlet and switches that are currently located next to the kitchen sink and above the drawer. They can be located with the other switches near the entry door.
Then you can install another drawer in the freed up area.

Offer an optional residential refrigerator.

Install an emergency access window (with a screen) that can be opened to provide more ventilation.

Increase the size of the kitchen closet opening to accommodate an optional combo washer/dryer. It only has to be about 1/2" wider. Also you could put a blank access panel on the exterior of the coach for access to the water, drain and electric connections or maybe access could be gained via the current refrigerator access panel.

Relocate the Wolfer speaker and put it under the kitchen closet / behind the electric panel. This will free up space under the dining booth. Utilize all of the space under the booth seats for storage.
Reduce the size of the booth and table by approximately 8" - 12" from window to aisle.

Replace the screen door with a combination screen door with the option of sliding the window up
or down for ventilation. Also this will allow the exterior door to be opened for visibility but still use the A/C with the window on the screen door closed.

Replace the bathroom door with a pocket door or eliminate it.

Decrease the height of the Mega Storage area.
This will allow you to have just one step-up in the bedroom and will make it easier to
get around the bed / make the bed.
Then you can add another drawer to each night stand.
Install Master Lift Struts to assist with lifting the bed up and holding it up to access
the storage area.
Install an emergency access window (with a screen) that can be opened to provide more ventilation.
The tile floor should be continued into the bedroom. But keep carpeting on the step-up
area and along side of the bed.

Install a rear slide-out that extends out the rear of the coach.
The slide-out will contain a wardrobe that extends across the rear of the coach above the bed approximately the same height as the current closets located above the night stands.
This wardrobe will provide amble space to hang cloths so make sure it is deep enough and has enough height to hang cloths.
The slide-out would be extended out to provide ample room for sleeping.

Jim Dion Vesta 32
In the possibility the new owners would build this coach again, I would add a larger fuel tank, another 25 to 50 gallons. Larger inverter to accommodate the microwave and both TVs at same time, and add heat source and electric outlet in the wet bay. We just competed a 3 week 3000 mile trip and we hardly made a stop that we didn't have folks come over and ask questions about it. All comments were extremely complimentary.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #700

Quote:

Taking the Vesta in on Weds. for the recall. Westrux says there should be no effect on performance. Hope they are right, we'll see. I'm going to have them change the oil too while it's there.

Tags
monaco