Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Anybody replace A/C in a fully-ducted system?

I have a new Dometic Penguin heat pump on the way and I'm trying to figure out how to install it. My coach has the central air duct that goes all the way from front to back, passing directly below each A/C unit. There is a short metal duct from the discharge on the A/C directly into the top of the duct. The duct appears to be solid across the opening and into the ceiling on each side.

I don't see how I can get the new unit in place on top and make the short discharge duct match up. That's gonna be like threading a needle in the dark! Has anyone ever done this that can tell me how to go about it? I really appreciate your help!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just got off the phone with Monaco tech support. I tried to reach them yesterday but never did. I explained the problem of making the ducts line up. They said that it was a real PITA! They told me the horizontal duct running from front to back is just styrofoam with a foil coating. I am going to cut the duct completely into on each side of the opening, install the top unit, attach the discharge duct, then put the duct back in place and tape it back together with foil duct repair tape! They say this should work fine!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That sounds like a plan. I know my ducks are connected with duct foil tape. I'm sure sooner or later I'll be confronted with a similar problem.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Joe,

Just a heads up, but is your thermostat the original, maybe (5) button one? If so, you might also check and see if it will work with the newer ac's. If/when we replace any of our dometic units, we were told that a newer style stat and a different control board would possibly be needed. This is what we currently have:
http://www.ecrater.com/p/8816637/dom...fort-control-5 but would have to change to the newer round one in either black or white. http://eldonrv.com/Thermostat-Multi-...Center-2-.aspx I don't have a pic of the control board in question.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Joe,

Just a heads up, but is your thermostat the original, maybe (5) button one? If so, you might also check and see if it will work with the newer ac's. If/when we replace any of our dometic units, we were told that a newer style stat and a different control board would possibly be needed. This is what we currently have:
Dometic 3109228.001 Duo Therm Comfort Control 5 Button Thermostat t-stat but would have to change to the newer round one in either black or white. Thermostat, Multiple Zone LCD Comfort Control Center 2 (black shown) I don't have a pic of the control board in question.

Yeah, they told me that a conversion kit would be required to make the new heat pump work with the old 5-button Comfort Control Center thermostat. This kit includes a new control board to replace the one in the new A/C. I ordered it along with the unit. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #6

Not that hard

We replaced ours in 2012.

The duct on the new Penguin did not quite match the old one, but it was close enough that a little metal tape made an air-tight seal without obstructing any air flow. With two of us working up there, it wasn't too hard.

We replaced the thermostat rather than buying the conversion kit. The new thermostat is somewhat better than the original five-button model. It's programmable (never use that feature) and has a more easily-read display.

One thing that surprised me with the new unit was that when it comes on, in either Cool or Heat Pump mode, the fan comes on first. A few seconds later, the compressor comes on.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali View Post
We replaced ours in 2012.

The duct on the new Penguin did not quite match the old one, but it was close enough that a little metal tape made an air-tight seal without obstructing any air flow. With two of us working up there, it wasn't too hard.

We replaced the thermostat rather than buying the conversion kit. The new thermostat is somewhat better than the original five-button model. It's programmable (never use that feature) and has a more easily-read display.

One thing that surprised me with the new unit was that when it comes on, in either Cool or Heat Pump mode, the fan comes on first. A few seconds later, the compressor comes on.

Interesting as our original OEM ac/heat pumps have always worked that way: fan on first followed shortly by the compressor. Are you sure your original unit didn't work this way?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I replaced my Carrier Air V with an Advent Air... I did some searching, Two companies make direct replacement Rooftop units for the Carrier Air V.. Advent being one of them.. So Remove ceiling unit,, Remove 4 bolts, Lift off roof top unit, Open control box (part of ceiling unit) replace one connector with another, plug in "Y" cable/adapter (Why Advent could not use the same connector on that "Y" that Carrier used I do not know) and plug in, Replace roof unit, 4 bolts, plug in, ceiling unit and the very same controls work the very same way they did when it was all Carrier.> Very same ceiling unit too..

Only difference, The old 13,500 BTU carrier drew 13.5 amps running.
The new Advent 15,000 BTU also draws 13.5 amps running.

It is, however, harder to do Spring Cleaning.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #9

Do all these thermostat replacements use the existing cable? Replacing the T-stat would be easy. Replacing the cable is a good deal more difficult.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36 pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Old 05-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post

Interesting as our original OEM ac/heat pumps have always worked that way: fan on first followed shortly by the compressor. Are you sure your original unit didn't work this way?
Oops.

I meant to say that the compressor comes on first, then the fan. Different than any other AC I have ever had.

I guess it makes some sense in an RV, where voltage often sags under a load. Get the compressor started before imposing the load of the fan. (Pure speculation on my part.)
Old 05-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Do all these thermostat replacements use the existing cable? Replacing the T-stat would be easy. Replacing the cable is a good deal more difficult.

Eastern NC
I had both of my 2005 Dometic AC's replaced last year with 2 new Dometic Brisk II units. They had to replace the old thermostat with the new Dometic Thermostat. They used the same wires to connect the new thermostat to the Ac's.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #12

New thermostats, wires stapled to the exterior.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post

Eastern NC
Used the existing wires.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #14

I went through this a year or so ago. If you replace the t stat to work with the new unit then you have to replace the control board in the other unit to work with the new t stat. I opted to go the way Happy Camper went and just replaced the control board in the new unit to work with the old t stat. Made sense to me at the time. Now if and when my other unit fails I will have to do the same thing again.

Tags
replace