Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anybody use OBD Scanners on their Rigs?

Using by buddy's scanner, i detected that my F-250 threw a code (P0299) and I figured I would purchase one myself. However, before i do that I wanted to check with you friendly folk to see if there is a device that would be appropriate for my coach as well - assuming they have OBD 2 connections.

Thanks,
Rob
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Many of us have installed Silverleaf VMS systems which not only provide code reading but also allows for creation of a custom "dash" on a PC screen to monitor and track nearly everything the chassis bus measures.

Overkill for just the reading of codes though.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
If you have a diesel engine Scangauge D has worked well for me with the exception that it will not read trans-temp in our rig. All other functions work as advertised.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
broadrun.....As Rick stated, many of us use the SilverLeaf Program where you can buy one of their boxes with a digital screen you mount on your dash (very pricey) or do what most people do, buy their cable and run the info on a laptop. They give you their program for free, that you can download and play with it's screens and configuration, but in order for it to work, you have to buy their proprietary cable ($350.00) and connect to your OBD sensor (I forgot the name of what they call an OBD connection on diesels).

I'm sure the $350.00 is cheaper or about the same price as a scanner, but I would rather have their program and run it on a laptop. Their program shows you everything that the Cummins engine computer can see.

Here is how I set mine up. I use a small notebook computer that I run all the time. I won't even start my coach without this program running. It has so much info. It will even estimate your rolling torque and rolling horsepower. It also gives you instant mpg which really helps me save fuel. My coach has the older Allison trans control panel that only has one window. This program lets you run the two window version on the screen, letting you know what gear you're in.

This photo shows how I laid my screen out. You can use digital gauges, analog gauges, have 20 things showing or two things showing. The hard part was deciding what I wanted to see and how I wanted to display it.

This photo is my coach idling in Neutral. You can see the Allison is in Neutral (NN) in the upper left. My turbo boost, tach and speed are under that. The second column shows my oil pressure, coolant temp, trans temp and voltage. The program allows me to put alarms on each program and set the parameters. The green circle shows that I'm running within parameters. As you get close to exceeding the parameters, they change to yellow, then red and then alarm.

I like seeing my rolling HP and torque in the next column. Below that is the % of engine load. Cummins DOES NOT read egr temps via it's computer, so the SilverLeaf program can't give you that info. The next best thing is intake manifold temp.

In the last column, I run instant mpg, and then two trip odometers. The upper one I change each fill-up, the next one I run throughout a trip and the lower one is info from the first day the engine fired, which Cummins captures and stores forever.

The fuel mileage parameters have to be adjusted through the program to get them accurate. It took me several adjustments, but I'm about + or - 2-3% on my mpg. Since it shows gallons used, I kept adjusting until my figures were pretty much right on at each fill-up.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Everybody. Glad i decided to run it by you guys before I made my decision.

Don, thanks so much for the detail and picture. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - and curing a Diesel can be very costly.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
One follow up question -

Can anyone tell me where the scanner connection is inside the coach? I looked under the steering column and all over that area. Lots of wires/connections but nothing that looks like an OBD 2.

I would assume that Monarch would locate things like this in similar spots for most of their coach lines/models but I have a 2001 HR Endeavor.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If your Endeavor is a DP then you need to look for a J1939 plug, it's a round 9-pin unit.
Look at the Silverleaf website for the page that shows the plug styles. http://www.silverleafelectronics.com...nnectors_0.pdf
Old 05-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
If your Endeavor is a DP then you need to look for a J1939 plug, it's a round 9-pin unit.
Look at the Silverleaf website for the page that shows the plug styles. http://www.silverleafelectronics.com...nnectors_0.pdf
Thanks Dennis.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #9

Has anyone use AutoEnginuity?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote