Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Ken...
You copied the web page properties...
Right click on the photo itself ...and copy the URL Address that shows up on the gray window...
You are almost there!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #16

Duh!
Now about that purlin to the rear wall.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #17

Okay Mama, Maybe I now I have a grasp of the picture posting. Thanks again a million times. You have real courage staying with a dummy...kudos to you.
This pic shows the long and short of it. Center support, shoe hanger and storage drawers.
I'm outa here!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Silverblivit
OK... do one more thing...
click on the thumbnail.. and then right click on the FULL sized picture. Use the "URL Addresses properties" from the full size photo!!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
For anyone who wants to see all the photos...
You can go to this Photo album!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #20
JDT

We have an 05 HR 38PST that has the washer and tv cabinet next to the rear closet. Since we bought a washer, which I haven't installed yet, the wife has been complaining about losing the storage space to the washer, which is substantial. She suggested I lower the closet rod in the big closest and install a shelf above it, just like one of our house closets.

I started that project today. I can lower the rod about 10" and put a 14" X 63 1/2" shelf above it. I made the shelf from 3/4" oak plywood and trimmed it with solid oak for the supports and facing. We have oak cabinets and the only finish they use is a clear coat, no stain, so matching is easy. I removed the center rod support and mounted it beneath the shelf to support the rod in the center. I will use the base of the support that was attached to the ceiling to attach a support for the shelf. The closet wall next to the tv cabinet has an access panel so I was able to add a board behind it to support the rod on that side.

My only concern is I hope there is something behind the wall on the other side to attach the rod support. If not I will use the shelf to attach a support on that end.

Since I'm typing already I'll add a note about the great help I got from Monaco on where to drill a 4" hole thru the sidewall for the dryer vent. The tech sent me a diagram of the wall framing and helped me measure to find the 5" inch square frame that Monaco provides for the vent. My first try was dead center.

Jim
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #21

I do not have a closet across the back but I have a huge closet at the foot of the bed on the curb side. I use the stacked plastic drawers from Walmart on the bottom of the closet. You could buy drawer sizes that would accommodate shoes. Also, I bought one of those hanging shoe bags and slide it against the side of the closet. It is not big enough for my size 13 shoes but it is great for storing rolled up socks and underwear and rolled up belts or anything that I do not want to get lost in a drawer.
What would we do without those WONDERFUL plastic stacking storage drawers !!!

Chip
06 SurfSide
model a29
cmprcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #22

Well everyone,
Thanks for your helpful tips, ideas and pictures you posted. It got me motivated to start on mine.
Here's what I decided to do and where I'm at on it.
I couldn't make my mind up if I wanted to install one of those white wire basket type of organizer's or just make a shelf.
Finally decided that wood is the direction I wanted to go to try and keep the wood theme in the closet and all the trim throughout the rest of the motorhome.
Bought a 48 inch piece of stairway plank that is 12 inches wide,liked the idea that the front that will be pointed out is rounded off so there won't be any sharp edges and also the rigidity of the plank will keep it from sagging. Cut the plank to fit and it is snug. I'm staining it to match this evening and will put a couple of coats of polyurethane on it tomorrow. I cut two short pieces to mount to the side walls which will support the shelf. I also bought a decorative peice of trim that I will mount to the top of the leading edge of the shelf to keep the shoes up there while traveling. Finally I will attach a clothes rod beneath the shelf for all the hanging stuff.
Should have it all done tomorrow. 2 days work, 30 dollars and one projct done.
Now I have to think of another.
Letsgoagain
Old 02-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
...And you do have the camera out there taking pics of
the progress... don't you?

I will watching to make sure photos get approved and they can be up by tomorrow evening!!

MM

Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #24

MonacoMama,
Funny you should ask? After I removed the old hanging rod I thought I should take some pictures of the before and after.
I was going to get the camera when some storms blew up.
I posted last week about the crazy weather here in Southern IN. Tonight we've had several tornado's in the area. Some about 50 miles South that have sadly caused more loss of life.
Here mainly its been the heavy rain. Flash Flood warnings right now.
Needless to say I kind of abandoned the camera idea for a bit.
I will take some pictures tomorrow and see if they take well enough to show what I've done.
Best regards and I hope your weather is calmer then ours.
Letsgoagain
Old 02-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Letsgoagain:
I'm thinking of adding one of those closet organizers with arrangeable shelving to give it more versatility.
Only problem I see is mounting the support hardware on the back wall. Not sure I like the idea of putting screws in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Letsgo,
I just added some shelves to my Landau's closet.
Used some cheap 1x3 & 2x3 strapping for supports. I attached the 1x3's to wall w/ short drywall screws & Liquid Nail (very secure!)
I installed the shelves in a fixed position, but you could also use the tracks they sell to make them adjustable.

More pics here:
Closet shelves
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #26

Got the shelf installed today and the wife likes it. I still have to install the rod for the hanging clothes beneath the shelf but I am happy with how its turned out so far.
I did take some pictures but I'm not going to post them until I get it completely done.
You know space is at a premium in a motorhome and I think this is one modification that will not only add storage space but be quite functional in that the shoes will go up there and we won't have to dig around on the bottom of the closet floor trying to find them anymore.
Now on to the tv upgrade to a lcd in the bedroom.
Letsgoagain
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #27

Good afternoon,
I finally finished the shelving project by adding the clothes hanging rod. If anyone is interested here is the link.Upgrade of closet shelf.
Hope this link works as it is the first time I have added a link in a post.
You will notice that in several of the pictures I removed the old metal clothes hanging rod. In place I cut, stained and added a shelf with a decorative cabinet trim piece on top to stop the shoes from sliding out.
The last step was to add a wood clothes hanging rod. Had to get creative but found a towel rack in the bathroom section made of wood. The rod wasn't long enough so I got a piece of 48 inch long by 7/8 inch dowell rod and cut it to length. I bored out the brackets that are holding it to fit the dowell and stained it to match and hung it off the bottom of the shelf.
I'm pretty happy with how this turned out and hope you can see the pictures to go with my description.
Letsgoagain
Old 02-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Very nice job. Looks professional and should be very functional.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote