Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

Anyone ever remove the dash in their motorhome.

Hello,
I have a couple of squeeks or rattles coming from the dash area in several places and sometimes under the right conditions its really irritating.
I have tried to isolate the noise but its virtually impossible to pin them down.
I've always thought that the dash itself seemed like it wasn't mounted as securely as it could or should be. I'm wondering if its that big of a deal to remove the whole dash from the driver's over to the passenger side and see if I can't improve on Monaco's\Holiday Rambler's work.
Anyone ever had their dash out or had it out at the factory for repair work? If you have was it a major undertaking?
Letsgoagain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #2

Two years ago when we were wintering in Tucson, a Monaco tech stopped by and, when I described a wiring problem to him, he asked permission to take out the dash and work on it. He did tell me that there could be a problem with cracking the cover when he removed or replaced the dash cover. He removed the dash, solved the problem, a coupling had not been placed together properly, and then replaced the dash without a problem. He was slow and careful and everything worked out well.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I dont know if they are alike but I had the right bottom dash and center cabinet out to replace a fan motor on a 99 Dip, it was not easy but doable.

Walt 2000 Dyn
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Letsgoagain......The squeaks make me crazy and I often make my wife chase them down. (She hates that!) They were really bugging me last trip, especially around the door and the passenger side dash. I sprayed the entire door, seals and joints with Pledge and then wiped them down. I took a #2 squarehead screwdriver and tightened every screw on the door, door frame, hand rails, "A" pillars and all of the screws on the lower part of the dash. I did the same thing to everything on the driver's side.

I pulled the drawers on the center console and looked for screws there to tighten. I was surpised...there are no screws holding the console to the floor. If you lift up on the dash, the back of the cabinet will lift slightly off of the floor. Now that I'm typing this, it just dawned on me, I think I'll run a bead of silicone on the inside of the cabinet where it touches the floor. Once it drys, it should add some more support to the dash.

I also have the sliding desk top on the passenger dash. It needed some tightening also.

I guess I didn't answer your question.....aftr looking at my dash, I didn't think it was worth trying to remove it unless I absolutely had to.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
JDT

My 05 Ambassador came with some dash squeaks as standard equipment. By pushing on the dash in various places I could tell that anyplace 2 pieces of plastic or vinyl touched or rubbed it would squeak. My son-in-law has an upholstery business so I got some foam padding from him. I cut it in small strips and used a putty knife to push it between the seams everywhere I could. I even put some around the defrost vents. I pushed the foam in far enough so it does not show. Stopped the squeaks.

Also had some squeaks on the door from the plastic panel that covers the handles. I put some di-electric grease on the edges and that stopped those squeaks.

JDT
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We had a terrible squeak near the co-pilot's head. Chased it for weeks and thought it was the kitchen slide. It turned out to be the awning arm brackets rubbing againce each other. Now we just shove a rag in there, behind the arm cover, as the awning closes up. Solved the problem, but we've got to find a better solution.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The dash can be removed but great care must be taken to keep it from breaking, especially the corners. Monaco broke mine replacing the rear view monitor. The also stripped a few screw holes which I replaced with the next size larger screw or flex nuts behind the screw. I partially removed the dash when I relocated the rear view monitor. When I replaced the dash I applied foam weather stripping to cushion the dash. I also found gobs of modules, connecectors, wire bundles and other items simply floating behind the dash, some of which caused rattles at one time or another. Be very careful when reinstalling the screws, stop as soon as you feel the screw is just starting to tighten or you risk breaking. I also installed screw caps which provide a little cushion against cracking the thin plastic.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #8

EVeryone,
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'm not the only one that lets the squeeks get to them.
I have tried locating and placing rubber pieces in between where I think its originating from, I've sprayed it with silicone spray and various other things but its still a real task sometimes to even pinpoint where its coming from. Sounds like the whole dash removal is doable but requires a lot of care not to break or mess something up.
If I didn't have a motorhome I wouldn't have anything to do I guess. Seems like I'm always doing something to it like maintenance, washing, waxing, adding modifications and oh yeah, using it to camp and travel in. I almost forgot that part.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #9

I also have annoying noises from the dash. It seems to be where the dash touches the rubber seal around the windshield. I haven't totally got rid of all noises but greatly reduced by inserting some teflon plastic between the seal and the dash. I used material that is typically used to keep vehicle leaf springs from making noises.

When I have plenty of time, I was going to remove the dash to find a more permanent fix.