RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #1

Aqua-Hot

The aqua hot level was down in the reservoir. I added 1.5 gallons over a 2 day period. Now it seems to have stabilized but I seem to run out of hot water after a bit. The heat works fine on electric or aqua hot. I had it serviced 1.5 years ago but hasn’t been used much since servicing. I thought maybe there was a leak but can’t see any boiler anti freeze leaking anywhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hank
2004 Monaco dynasty baroness 40’

Henjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If it were me, I would look at the radiator cap and overflow system and reservoir if you cant find anything else. Also go over all the hose clamps you can find. Sometimes the spring clamps need to be replaced with screw clamps. That is a couple of suggestions to start with anyway. I found a leak in the overflow hose where Monaco had put a hose over a hose and clamped it and it doesn't work well that way. A great source of info and parts Hydronic Heater Repair. http://rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/
Hope this may help to start looking. Happy Trails Bert

Old 02-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #3

Thank you. I will start with that.
Henjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Put a paper towel around the radiator cap and run the unit for 15 minutes. Check if the paper towel is soaked with antifreeze. The boiler runs so hot that the antifreeze boils away and you will never find any liquid if you have a leak.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #5

Be sure to check around all the interior heat registers.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2007 Scepter, I had the system service 2 years ago and not used much, one trip for hot water only. I had several problems similar to yours. I did a few things. I replaced the radiator cap and then found a leak in the plastic line to the overflow tank. Those tow changes eliminated the lowered fluid level. I had also bought a tune up kit for the system "just in case" and decided to use it. After that system works great. It seemed like on mine, the time since service was as important as the usage level.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henjan View Post
The aqua hot level was down in the reservoir. I added 1.5 gallons over a 2 day period. Now it seems to have stabilized but I seem to run out of hot water after a bit. The heat works fine on electric or aqua hot. I had it serviced 1.5 years ago but hasnít been used much since servicing. I thought maybe there was a leak but canít see any boiler anti freeze leaking anywhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hank
2004 Monaco dynasty baroness 40í
Hank,

You describe two different problems. One is you are down on antifreeze. The leak advice you have received is good advice, but "run out of hot water after a bit" is a different problem. An 04 Monaco has an older model AH in it, my '06 has an AHE-100-04S, and it will keep up hot water with all the registers calling for heat, but it falls behind if I'm also running the engine pre-heat. Having said that it will run a little cooler but still acceptably hot.

As I understand it there is no way to have heat at the register and not heat for the water as the water heat source is effectively ahead of the external plumbing. In other words, they will all lose heat at the same time.

A couple of possibilities are that you are seeing a drop in heat in the water as the demands reach the capacity of the unit, in which case it may be cooler but you should still have acceptably hot water, you may need to adjust the water at the tap.

The other possibility is the mixing valve in the AH unit is putting too much cold water into the mix. I suggest you diagnose this by taking the initial temp on the hot water as soon as it runs hot, then use it for a while (take a shower) and then check the temp of the hot water again and let us know how big the difference is.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #8

I have noticed that when the incoming water is really cold it will decrease the
ability to have a non stop flow of hot water .

I have considered heating my fresh water tank and using that warmed water
when necessary .

Ray
RamiDav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #9

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
I was disappointed in the amount of hot water I was getting, and the temperatures.

So I ordered a new mixing valve from Roger Burke.

The spring and plunger was gummed up in the old one.

And when I inserted the new inner workings of the new valve, I turned the valve up about
20 percent.

Now I am amazed at the unlimited hot, hot water That I have. 4 seasons of the year.

The mixing valve is on the bottom left of the picture showing my spare parts and tools .

Newer models have different mixing valves.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190126_082700.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	234577
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #10

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
100 percent improvement Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_205354.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	234578
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:29 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
You didn't say exactly which Aqua-Hot model you have..
IF it is EXE 100/200 or 300 series...
Check the neck of the tank to the radiator cap extension..
There is a history of the solder failing..
You will have to lift the rubber "grommet" sealing the tank to the fill neck to see.
Also added a pic of the "fix" if you connot get the tank out and to a radiator shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	234579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2246 (1).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	234580  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2218.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	234581  
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
100 percent improvement Attachment 234578
How long was the water running when you took this reading and what was the incoming water temperature to the coach?
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We haven’t heard from the OP if he’s made any progress, but here are my comments.

As far as a leak is concerned, I can’t help there. However, you should never run out of hot water. Running out of hot water is a sign the circulation pump isn’t working. Go to Roger Berke’s site: rvhydronicheaterrepair.com and look for troubleshooting instructions to find out if it’s the pump or if there’s a control issue. If all else fails, give him a call. He could have sold me a new control board, but it turned out someone had set a jumper wrong when the control board was replaced in the past.

We’ve never run out of hot water, no matter how cold the incoming water- I suspect the poster above needs to adjust the mixing valve. Also, our coach shuts off the heaters when calling for hot water. When boondocking, I can take a shower about 2 minutes after turning on the diesel burner, regardless of the temperature. I replace the nozzle and fuel filter and clean the combustion chamber annually. Love our Hydro-Hot! (What they called the HHE-200 Aqua Hot in 2006)

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #14

I didn't mean to say I ran out of hot water but the temp has dropped
when the incoming water was exceptionally cold .
My aqua doesn't cut off the zone heaters , that's a good feature .
Newer models like Photopilot's have a control board that I suppose can
do more things than my older model .
Mine just has a control box attached to the burner and separate thermostats
on the walls for the 3 zones .

I certainly don't know the different models but some are small and some
are larger with greater capacity

Ray

RamiDav is online now   Reply With Quote